GAME#50 Isles vs Habs Feb 20 2022 2:00pm EST

DON

CANADIENS (9-33-7) at ISLANDERS (18-20-6)

image.png

• DON changed the title to GAME#50 Isles vs Habs Feb 20 2022 2:00pm EST
32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Armia is because of getting hit in the face with a skate in the goalmouth scramble in the last game.

Ya, every time i see one of those near misses with skate, always creeps me out and think back to gory Clint Malarchuk incident or Salming face cut long ago. 

15 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

They should sit Chairot. Why risk an injury?

I believe they are at the 23-man roster limit and have no other available defencemen with Schueneman on the Covid list.

41 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

They should sit Chairot. Why risk an injury?

don't you dare to criticize a decision from the Hugh-Gort boys! Blasphemous ! :rastapop:

31 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I believe they are at the 23-man roster limit and have no other available defencemen with Schueneman on the Covid list.

Ahh Sucks

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

don't you dare to criticize a decision from the Hugh-Gort boys! Blasphemous ! :rastapop:

Thankfully a thread already exists 😜

Turns out there was nothing to criticize anyway except my own initial opinion 

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

C'mon, Hugh-Gort have been at the helm for months... or at least, a month. They are far past the five minute exemption from criticism that Canadiens fans give a new coach or gm. Assuming of course that they liked the hire(s) and didn't start criticizing the minute the person was hired. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Bingo.  They could dress 13/5 if they wanted to but I don't think that's something they want to do.  They could IR Armia to create a roster spot but Laval is extremely shorthanded at the moment as well with 12 players out between COVID protocol and injuries.

And we all know whose avatar is responsible for that (😉).

1 hour ago, PMAC said:

C'mon, Hugh-Gort have been at the helm for months... or at least, a month. They are far past the five minute exemption from criticism that Canadiens fans give a new coach or gm. Assuming of course that they liked the hire(s) and didn't start criticizing the minute the person was hired. 

There definitely is a desire to charge to the defence of Hugh-Gort. It’s understandable…debates about management and coaching get swept up quickly in love/hate binaries. If you say, “hmm, I don’t get this decision,” or “shouldn’t they have waited to create a bidding war on Toffoli?” your comment is immediately interpreted within that binary, i.e., you must be hostile to Hugh-Gort. Right now folks really, really want to believe that we have an ace management group that is going to lead us out of darkness, so this tendency to interpret things this way is especially strong.

I get it. I was a big Gainey believer and a big Bergevin believer - at first. This time around, I’m just taking each decision as it comes. I have no wider narrative about Hugh-Gort to defend; it’s too early for that. The big narrative will grow out of the aggregation of individual decisions that lead to overall results (good or bad) for the franchise. At this stage, I haven’t been blown away by any move or decision they’ve made, but again, too soon to tell.

A lot of times people will sit back and criticize management without knowing all the details or what is going on behind the scenes. Fan is short for fanatic, certainly allowed to criticize if they so choose but fans tend to get emotional. I think we have a management team that is calm, intelligent and analytical. Not every decision they make will turn out but I am confident in the direction they are going. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I get it. I was a big Gainey believer and a big Bergevin believer - at first. This time around, I’m just taking each decision as it comes. I have no wider narrative about Hugh-Gort to defend; it’s too early for that. The big narrative will grow out of the aggregation of individual decisions that lead to overall results (good or bad) for the franchise. At this stage, I haven’t been blown away by any move or decision they’ve made, but again, too soon to tell.

• Hiring Hughes: This looks good at the moment
  • Hiring St Louis: Very unconventional, but I do like the way the team has reacted. But it's very early yet.
  • Trading Toffoli: Not an obvious win or loss, much depends on how Heineman develops. But I think trading Toffoli makes sense from a rebuild point of view. And we don't know whether something else comparable or better was available. I see their trading strategy as setting a price target and making the trade if they can get what they want, regardless of timing. Which is fine by me.
  • Hiring Bobrov: Looks promising
  • Hiring Lecavalier: I don't see what we gain by this but if it's just for PR, then I'm OK with it as there doesn't appear to be any substantial downside

Overall, as you say, it's too early to assign a grade.

An opponent left unattended in front of the Canadiens' net scoring a goal ... wonder what percentage of the now 194 goals against meet that description?