GAME#51 Leafs vs Habs 7:00pm Monday Feb 21 2022

DON

image.png

32-16 Leafs "shouldnt" have much trouble with the 10-40 Habs; but...

Caufield 5pts in last 5gms.

Poehling is overdue to bang at least one into the net, just 1g in last 26gms, 12:40/gm. Hopefully St Louis can help get him on track also.

Canadiens projected lineup

Cole Caufield -- Nick Suzuki -- Josh Anderson

Mike Hoffman -- Laurent Dauphin -- Brendan Gallagher

Rem Pitlick -- Jake Evans -- Paul Byron

Michael Pezzetta -- Ryan Poehling -- Artturi Lehkonen

Brett Kulak -- Jeff Petry

Ben Chiarot -- Alexander Romanov

Kale Clague -- Chris Wideman

Sam Montembeault

Andrew Hammond

Scratched: Cedric Paquette

Injured: Joel Armia (undisclosed), Jake Allen (lower body), Christian Dvorak (upper body), Mathieu Perreault (lower body), David Savard (ankle), Jonathan Drouin (wrist), Joel Edmundson (back), Carey Price (knee)

COVID-19 protocol: Corey Schueneman

Status report

Mrazek will start the first of back-to-back games for the Maple Leafs, who play at the Columbus Blue Jackets on Tuesday. … Lyubushkin is expected to join the Maple Leafs in Columbus on Tuesday. The defenseman was acquired in a trade with the Arizona Coyotes on Saturday. … Forward Ryan Dzingel, acquired by the Maple Leafs along with Lyubushkin, was placed on waivers Sunday and was claimed by the San Jose Sharks on Monday. ... Montembeault took shots from forwards Paquette and Perreault during an optional morning skate to prepare for his fourth start in five games.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

32 games left my god this season seems like it's never going to end. 

Its only 68 days ... pretty much one every second day ... you're tough ... you'll make it

Can always hope; Caufield tears it up in 2nd half, Romanov sees some PP time & shines, Poehling starts chipping in with the odd goal, Suzuki & Anderson develop great chemistry & pad their offensive #s some, Price&Allen come back and play great (but too late to impact standings), etc...

I think its clear now.  Petry was leading the players rebellion on Ducharme.

I don't think Caufield was part of it though.  He just looks like a player with confidence.

Im also fine with Montembault as the #2 next season if we trade Allen. He is an NHL goalie.

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Im also fine with Montembault as the #2 next season if we trade Allen. He is an NHL goalie.

Yeah. Montembeault is good enough that I think Allen's going to be gone at deadline. If he's healthy.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah. Montembeault is good enough that I think Allen's going to be gone at deadline. If he's healthy.

Allen will be awhile yet, they said.

7 minutes ago, DON said:

Allen out for another 5-6 weeks.

Ahhh. It may be an off-season trade, then.

But, in any case, kudos to Bergevin for picking up Montembeault. And Pitlick. And Clague. They are only complementary pieces, but those are probably where Bergevin was at his best.

Not one to toot my own horn but I told you guys about Caufield. It felt like I was battling an army on here when I talked about his positive future only two weeks ago. 

While the recent sample size is small, I still feel confident bringing it up because I already know he’ll be something nice, and hopefully mostly for our organization.