GAME#51 Leafs vs Habs 7:00pm Monday Feb 21 2022

DON

5-0 looks fabulous but the Leafs actually have a slight edge on shots, Corsi, Fenwick, xG and scoring chances (almost every stat is in their favour, bar the goals). So, let's not plan the parade route quite yet.

27 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Ahhh. It may be an off-season trade, then.

But, in any case, kudos to Bergevin for picking up Montembeault. And Pitlick. And Clague. They are only complementary pieces, but those are probably where Bergevin was at his best.

Clague and pitlick were gorton

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Not one to toot my own horn but I told you guys about Caufield. It felt like I was battling an army on here when I talked about his positive future only two weeks ago. 

While the recent sample size is small, I still feel confident bringing it up because I already know he’ll be something nice, and hopefully mostly for our organization.

Who said caufield wouldnt be good? No one.

You said hed be as good as Auston Matthews and he still has a long way before you get a victory lap on that.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Is this the team that started 8-0 at the start of last season🤔 they look like it . 

Teams, and players, are rarely if ever as good as they look at their best or as bad as they look at their worst ... certainly playing so much better and most importantly for me with confidence and conviction, this team still IMO needs changes to build for the long-term.

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Clague and pitlick were gorton

Its true that @tomh009 got the GM wrong, but otherwise I agree with what he said.  i.e. if MB was still around, those were the type of moves he was really good at.  Same with getting the Hamburgalur too.  I'm somewhat surprised that MB didnt pick up another G when Allen was injured earlier in the season. 

29 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

5-0 looks fabulous but the Leafs actually have a slight edge on shots, Corsi, Fenwick, xG and scoring chances (almost every stat is in their favour, bar the goals). So, let's not plan the parade route quite yet.

Part of it is score effects.  Anytime a team is up 2 or more goals the trailing team usually gets better corsi, xG etc... after that point.  The more goals you get up, the more drastic the score effects.

Seems to me the game was even (but we had 2 goals) in the first period.  Hoffman scores first minute of second and then the score effects (leafs pressing, habs defending and counter attack) takes over

Why do they insist on standing in the crease so much?  ex:  if Gally had been 2 feet back that likely would have got him and went in.  So many times they're so close to the crease that the G can easily use his leg or stick to stop any pass to the open Habs F. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Pitlick is a nice story.  Im unconvinced hes anything more than an oleg petrov type.  Someone who scores a bit with a hotstreak playing for a bad team but someone you ditch when its time to compete

He might still be a good fit next year. And at a nice price. 🙂

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Who said caufield wouldnt be good? No one.

You said hed be as good as Auston Matthews and he still has a long way before you get a victory lap on that.

Oh nice, debate something that does not need to be debated and then follow it up by incorrectly answering your own question.

Typical style of yours. 

In regards to accurately answering your first inquiry here is a direct quote:

The guy we’ve seen since training camp is just another rookie, nothing special at all.

Some folks in this discussion are already downgrading him to, like, a 2nd-line guy who will maybe get 25 goals some day, acting like that was the reasonable expectation all along, and also acting satisfied with that (because, you know, the ONLY stars in the NHL are the guys drafted first overall, which is a proposition so obviously false it scarcely warrants rebuttal). But that was NOT the expectation. He was billed as a future star of at least the “Mike Cammalleri” ilk. Timmins was shocked at his good luck in being able to draft him where he did; he expected him to go higher. 

CC was one of the only Habs rookies about whom I believed the hype, based on what I saw in the playoffs. Yet now he looks like Sven Andrigetto and now we’re being told that’s OK. 

They made the right decision to send him down early this season and that’s where he should have stayed. 

This is not to call out the initial post as that would be a d@&k move. With that being said, the post compares Caufield to Sven Andrighetto. Is Sven Andrighetto good? It also states that people are downgrading his potential so obviously there has been somewhat of a lukewarm discussion concerning Caufield, at best. 

Third of all, him being downgraded in this context is to the second line so I am

obviously aware that no one said he is not good. They are simply underwhelmed based on their high expectations of him. There’s nothing wrong with that; I am

merely in a different camp concerning Caufield. I think he is the real deal and have never waivered. For some reason that seems to bother people.

As for the second part, here is the direct quote.

“For what my opinion is worth, Caufield will always be a player who I can use in the same breath as Phill Kessel and Auston Matthews when it comes to goal scoring ability. If not only because of his performance with the US junior development program and the records he broke there. 

While Kessel has taken his share of criticism over his career, both he and Matthews have shown the ability to perform on the 1st line in the NHL.“

One can choose to nit-pick one sentence from what I wrote, use it out of context, and choose to scold me for whatever reason. With that being said, because the point clearly went over your head, the point is that Caufield’s strength is his goal scoring ability. He broke goal scoring records with the US developmental program that included players like Auston Matthews and Phil Kessel. IF ONLY for that reason, I will

always use him in the same breath as them. If Matthews ends up with a career high of 52 goals and Caufield 38, it wouldn’t surprise me (Kessel’s is 37).

The post was also in direct response to the expectation that he may only score 25 goals in the league and belong on the second line. My opinion is that he will end with more than that in general. In case you stopped reading at Auston Matthews take a moment to read the last line of my quote.

Long story short… Auston Matthews, 1 line winger. Phil Kessel, 1st line winger. Caufield’s future? 1st line winger.

Now from your part, would you like to do some research and share where I said no one said Caufield would be good? Or would you like to simply take this loss? I never said that. The army I was referring to are those who argue with me every time I say something positive about Caufield. It’s not my fault you take what I am saying out of context and try to create a debate out of thin air.

Love this quote from the Leafs forum before the game. Please anybody but the Leafs win the cup this year.  You think they would have learned some humility after last year.  A lot of arrogance considering their team hasn't won a cup since 1967.

"You can bet everything you have on this one. Expected easiest win of the season."

Nice to finally have a feel good moment in this disaster of a season.  I don't expect we'll play ourselves out of contention for first overall, but regaining some respectability was necessary after how badly we've been the last few months. Some swagger from Marty and goal per game Cole can get us through the next two months.

What a fun game to watch. Montembeault is playing so well right now, keeps the team in the game and helps all feel confident

the Suzuki line was on fire!!!

I am happy to see Gallagher playing better. Dauphin is solidifying a roster spot for next year. 
I am also glad for Poehling who is chugging along on the 4th gaining experience.

Petry is getting points and increasing his trade value. That si also positive 

Go Habs Go! Go .500 the rest of the season and get us a top 10 pick

3 minutes ago, Neech said:

We're aiming a lot higher than top 10 this year!

We certainly are aiming higher than just top 10.  If you are going to be out of the playoff race after a couple months then you might as well gain something from it.  Tonight's win was awesome but I am not hoping for too many long winning streaks. 

On another note, it’s nice to see how well Rem Pitlick has done when it comes to rookies in the league this season.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Teams, and players, are rarely if ever as good as they look at their best or as bad as they look at their worst ... certainly playing so much better and most importantly for me with confidence and conviction, this team still IMO needs changes to build for the long-term.

Oh I agree but I like the effort and the pushing of the play i see from these guys. Which is the way they were playing at the start of last season, which is why I bring it up.

They don't look lost any more out there on the ice. 

But I'm glad we got a new management team that come trade deadline will still trade our ufa's and not hold on to them thinking we can make a playoff push.

Our ufa's and anyone else not in the long term plans should still be traded come deadline, draft and off season.

15 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

But I'm glad we got a new management team that come trade deadline will still trade our ufa's and not hold on to them thinking we can make a playoff push.

I don't think you need to worry about that. Hughes said in a press conference they weren't making the playoffs.  Even if the Habs went 31-0 in their next 31 games they would end up with 91 points.  You generally need at least 95-96 points to have a shot. The Habs had 96 points in 2018-19 and missed a wild card  spot by 2 points.  Even the most ridiculous optimist must realize the Habs ain't making the playoffs.  It's time for a rebuild and we have the right management team to do it. 

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Oh nice, debate something that does not need to be debated and then follow it up by incorrectly answering your own question.

Typical style of yours. 

In regards to accurately answering your first inquiry here is a direct quote:

The guy we’ve seen since training camp is just another rookie, nothing special at all.

Some folks in this discussion are already downgrading him to, like, a 2nd-line guy who will maybe get 25 goals some day, acting like that was the reasonable expectation all along, and also acting satisfied with that (because, you know, the ONLY stars in the NHL are the guys drafted first overall, which is a proposition so obviously false it scarcely warrants rebuttal). But that was NOT the expectation. He was billed as a future star of at least the “Mike Cammalleri” ilk. Timmins was shocked at his good luck in being able to draft him where he did; he expected him to go higher. 

CC was one of the only Habs rookies about whom I believed the hype, based on what I saw in the playoffs. Yet now he looks like Sven Andrigetto and now we’re being told that’s OK. 

They made the right decision to send him down early this season and that’s where he should have stayed. 

This is not to call out the initial post as that would be a d@&k move. With that being said, the post compares Caufield to Sven Andrighetto. Is Sven Andrighetto good? It also states that people are downgrading his potential so obviously there has been somewhat of a lukewarm discussion concerning Caufield, at best. 

Third of all, him being downgraded in this context is to the second line so I am

obviously aware that no one said he is not good. They are simply underwhelmed based on their high expectations of him. There’s nothing wrong with that; I am

merely in a different camp concerning Caufield. I think he is the real deal and have never waivered. For some reason that seems to bother people.

As for the second part, here is the direct quote.

“For what my opinion is worth, Caufield will always be a player who I can use in the same breath as Phill Kessel and Auston Matthews when it comes to goal scoring ability. If not only because of his performance with the US junior development program and the records he broke there. 

While Kessel has taken his share of criticism over his career, both he and Matthews have shown the ability to perform on the 1st line in the NHL.“

One can choose to nit-pick one sentence from what I wrote, use it out of context, and choose to scold me for whatever reason. With that being said, because the point clearly went over your head, the point is that Caufield’s strength is his goal scoring ability. He broke goal scoring records with the US developmental program that included players like Auston Matthews and Phil Kessel. IF ONLY for that reason, I will

always use him in the same breath as them. If Matthews ends up with a career high of 52 goals and Caufield 38, it wouldn’t surprise me (Kessel’s is 37).

The post was also in direct response to the expectation that he may only score 25 goals in the league and belong on the second line. My opinion is that he will end with more than that in general. In case you stopped reading at Auston Matthews take a moment to read the last line of my quote.

Long story short… Auston Matthews, 1 line winger. Phil Kessel, 1st line winger. Caufield’s future? 1st line winger.

Now from your part, would you like to do some research and share where I said no one said Caufield would be good? Or would you like to simply take this loss? I never said that. The army I was referring to are those who argue with me every time I say something positive about Caufield. It’s not my fault you take what I am saying out of context and try to create a debate out of thin air.

You do realize "no one" is a figure of speech. The vast majority of habs fans here, on twitter, on hfboards, etc... still predict caufield as a first liner. So when I say No One, Im not saying literally saying 0 people doubted Caufield, Im just saying that it isnt a widely held belief

So if you want to call out the minority who dont, name them instead of making anonymous quotes.   None of those quotes are mine, but by replying to me in the way you did, you are implying i said them.  I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you didnt mean it that way, but that is one interpretation of how it reads.  But if you want to call people out, then do it by name.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think you need to worry about that. Hughes said in a press conference they weren't making the playoffs.  Even if the Habs went 31-0 in their next 31 games they would end up with 91 points.  You generally need at least 95-96 points to have a shot. The Habs had 96 points in 2018-19 and missed a wild card  spot by 2 points.  Even the most ridiculous optimist must realize the Habs ain't making the playoffs.  It's time for a rebuild and we have the right management team to do it. 

I agree that's why I'm glad we made the management change.