GAME #52 Sabres vs Habs 7:30 Wed Feb 23 2022

DON

image.jpeg

Anderson has three goals in his last two games, while Caufield has six points (3 goals, 3 assists) in his last three appearances.

With an assist on Anderson's first tally, defenseman Jeff Petry also extended his point streak to four games.

Goaltender Sam Montembeault made 35 saves to record his fourth win of the season.

11-40 vs 16-35, should be a battle.

• DON changed the title to GAME #52 Sabres vs Habs 7:30 Wed Feb 23 2022

I expect that the Habs would need to score something like 55 points in the last 31 games to finish 22nd, and that's pretty damn unlikely.

But a bottom-three finish would get us a top-five draft pick, which is really what we need. Now, getting past NJ for 29th would probably 36+ points in 31 games. That's a little bit too close for comfort, we need to trade away some more players soon to ensure we stay well below .500 points percentage for the rest of the season.

11 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Another win, another Caufield goal, another positive performance by Petry…

We need to start trades or we are going on a winning streak and finishing 11th would suck

Habs would need to go about 25-5 to finish 11th.

29 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Another win, another Caufield goal, another positive performance by Petry…

We need to start trades or we are going on a winning streak and finishing 11th would suck

there is no chance of that happening. The last projection I saw was that even if the Habs win 60% of their games, they would still finish 28th

Go Habs Go!!!

41 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I would really prefer a bottom-three finish at this point, to ensure that top-five draft pick.

Sounds like top couple prospects are flip a coin who to pick and Wright is no McDavid/Matthews, so 1st is best obviously but not end all be all this year. I think it is only 2 of last 5 last place teams have won the lottery.

TSN/BOB MCKENZIE TOP 32 - MID-TERM RANKING

25 minutes ago, DON said:

Sounds like top couple prospects are flip a coin who to pick and Wright is no McDavid/Matthews, so 1st is best obviously but not end all be all this year. I think it is only 2 of last 5 last place teams have won the lottery.

One never knows who will win, it's a bit like a lottery! 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, DON said:

TSN/BOB MCKENZIE TOP 32 - MID-TERM RANKING

I know that this forum favors "best player available", but I would not hate trading down and picking one of the two RHDs in the top 10 and also getting extra 2nd round picks this year: going for quantity of picks instead of trying to hit a homerun on fewer picks

9 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I know that this forum favors "best player available", but I would not hate trading down and picking one of the two RHDs in the top 10 and also getting extra 2nd round picks this year: going for quantity of picks instead of trying to hit a homerun on fewer picks

I prefer quality over quantity this year. 

30 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

We already have 12 picks in the draft and we'll surely have more after the trade deadline. If anything, I would not be surprised to see Hughes using some of the late picks to move up in the second or third round to get the player they want.

Drafting 15+ prospects in one year would really clog up our prospect pipeline. We would end up dropping a lot of them before they ever turned pro as we wouldn't be able to offer an NHL/AHL contract.

23 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I prefer quality over quantity this year. 

In terms of the organization, too, we hear a lot about the “depth” of our prospect pool. In other words, we have a bunch of bottom liners and bottom pairing D. What we need are IMPACT prospects. So hopefully we finish high enough in the lottery to draft at the top of the table, and, unlike the last two times, don’t draft a mediocrity.

3 hours ago, DON said:

... so 1st is best obviously but not end all be all this year. I think it is only 2 of last 5 last place teams have won the lottery ...

But that is likely still better than any other specific/individual position ... 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If they were to do so, I would prefer a first for next season than a second this year.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

We already have 12 picks in the draft and we'll surely have more after the trade deadline. If anything, I would not be surprised to see Hughes using some of the late picks to move up in the second or third round to get the player they want.

Drafting 15+ prospects in one year would really clog up our prospect pipeline. We would end up dropping a lot of them before they ever turned pro as we wouldn't be able to offer an NHL/AHL contract.

to me, it is the date to sign their ELC that is important, and that varies according to where they are drafter from: CHL, USHL, Europe-except-Russsia, Russia. High picks get their ELC the same year, others can go as long as 4 years. That is what I tend to watch for.

Because the last two seasons many draft candidates have not played much, I would go for quantity over "consensus picks"

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

In terms of the organization, too, we hear a lot about the “depth” of our prospect pool. In other words, we have a bunch of bottom liners and bottom pairing D. What we need are IMPACT prospects. So hopefully we finish high enough in the lottery to draft at the top of the table, and, unlike the last two times, don’t draft a mediocrity.

I think that Caufield, Guhle are quality prospects

I hope one of Brook, Norlinder, Harris or Strubble becomes a top-4 (yeah, I know... "hope") with at least one of the others becoming a solid NHLer

I have high hopes for Ylonen. I really like that kid

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Once again, you keep repeating this idea that depth in a prospect pool, means bottom pair and bottom liners.

Thats not the case. 

A b-prospect can still be a top liner, just the chances of it happening are lower.  The idea of depth is that if you have 3 B-Prospects at forward, 1 of them becomes a top sixer, 1 of them busts, and the third one could go either way.  That's what depth in a prospect pool is, not just shit prospects. 

Every team has tons of shit prospects, but they don't get praised for their depth.

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Once again, you keep repeating this idea that depth in a prospect pool, means bottom pair and bottom liners.

Thats not the case. 

A b-prospect can still be a top liner, just the chances of it happening are lower.  The idea of depth is that if you have 3 B-Prospects at forward, 1 of them becomes a top sixer, 1 of them busts, and the third one could go either way.  That's what depth in a prospect pool is, not just shit prospects. 

Every team has tons of shit prospects, but they don't get praised for their depth.

I like to think that Guhle and perhaps Harris are potentially top 4 defenseman and that Farrell and Roy are potentially top 6 forwards. I emphasize potentially as we don't know for sure how they will progress. I have probably missed a couple. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

to me, it is the date to sign their ELC that is important, and that varies according to where they are drafter from: CHL, USHL, Europe-except-Russsia, Russia. High picks get their ELC the same year, others can go as long as 4 years. That is what I tend to watch for.

Because the last two seasons many draft candidates have not played much, I would go for quantity over "consensus picks"

Even with a stagger, that's still a large number of players needing to be signed in a short period of time.  A CHL-drafted player from this upcoming class would need to sign by 2024.  They'll join Biondi, Farrell, Pitlick, Struble, and Tuch.  There's a case to be made that at least four of those five are getting signed so you don't want to add many more to that group, especially since they have an even bigger class of players to sign next year which will limit how many they can sign from the 2024 class.  So then we're talking about having to emphasize four-year picks to extend the signing timeline which goes counteractive to trying to get out of the rebuild sooner than later.  And make no mistake, all signs point to this not being a Buffalo-style rebuild in terms of how long it goes.

Generally speaking, I agree that extra picks are good but there is a point where teams have too many prospects and picks.  Montreal is starting to get close to that and 12 more picks is going to compound that to the point where there are going to be some decent youngsters going unsigned over the next few years.  I get the logic and it makes sense in theory but with Montreal's current situation, adding more picks this year isn't ideal.

That was an ugly period from the standpoint of both teams turning the puck over way too often.  A lead is a lead but yikes, that was a tough one to watch.

Byron hasn't returned from that hit from Samuelsson which is odd since he stayed on the bench for a bit before heading down the tunnel himself.  And as I hit post on that, it was announced he won't be back tonight.