2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

I'd also say that development time delayed is true. 

Does that mean the 2022 players will never catch up though?  I also don't think that is true.  Lots of prospects have lost a year due to injury at age 16 or 17 and while its taken longer have still become top line/top pair players.  These players can do the same (and dont have the injury to overcome as well, just the lost time). 

So while you have to factor in the delay, I'd say don't overcorrect and throw the baby out with the bath water either. 

48 minutes ago, DON said:

Sure, not a McDavid there, but likely will be bunch solid prospects available. Just bit more of crapshoot than normal thats all, no?

Yeah so you factor in the risk. 

If teams are trading prospects with high ceilings for your picks, that is fine. 

But if you are selling the picks for discount prospects, then its not.

You have to look at how the market is looking at these picks and if they discount them too much, then take advantage of the inefficiency and keep the picks (or even get more of them). 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Sure, not a McDavid there, but likely will be bunch solid prospects available. Just bit more of crapshoot than normal thats all, no?

That's what I tend to think. Some great food for thought in the post by hockeyrealist.  I think delayed development means it is more of a crapshoot and you are more likely to get some gems in the later rounds, perhaps a good time to have 3 x 3rd round picks like the Habs do. 

Bad news for one of 2022's top prospects.

Also reported on TSN

There is also going to be a risk with Russian players in general, whether they will be able to come here to play. How big is that risk? I think no one knows yet, but teams have been banned, and individual athletes have been banned from at least skiing and figure skating already.

28 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

There is also going to be a risk with Russian players in general, whether they will be able to come here to play. How big is that risk? I think no one knows yet, but teams have been banned, and individual athletes have been banned from at least skiing and figure skating already.

Very true and the CHL is considering banning Russians and Belarusians from their 2022 Import Draft.

37 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Wonder if we will have another era of "defecting" Russians like back in the Mogilny/Fedorov/etc. days.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Wonder if we will have another era of "defecting" Russians like back in the Mogilny/Fedorov/etc. days.

Not the same but somewhat related.  Lots of non-Russians playing for KHL teams are walking out as the playoffs get started.  

With the collapse of the rubble, their take home pay got cut like 90%.  They are paid in rubbles and have to take that money home to canada, usa, finland, sweden, etc... and the money is worthless now.

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Not the same but somewhat related ...

Then it was that the Soviet Union didn't allow players to leave, which may yet happen now ... but it Russian/Belarusian players are banned the workaround might be for them to defect, or at least immigrate to North America rather than just getting a work permit.

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Then it was that the Soviet Union didn't allow players to leave, which may yet happen now ... but it Russian/Belarusian players are banned the workaround might be for them to defect, or at least immigrate to North America rather than just getting a work permit.

Assuming the US and Canadian governments don't start refusing to issue visas to Russians and Belarusians. It's anyone's guess as to what will be next.

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Yeah i get that it was a different issue. 

Im just saying that these sanctions are designed to cripple the russian economy and that is already having an effect for foreign KHLers.

There will be lots of effects on this war. 

Following the 2014 sanctions (which are not near as severe as these) a number of KHL teams folded.  So that is something else that is on the table here too.

It may take time but there will be a lot of changes to Russia (including sports) as a result of all this.  

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

... It may take time but there will be a lot of changes to Russia (including sports) as a result of all this.  

One can only hope.

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, DON said:

https://chl.ca/article/40-players-selected-for-2022-kubota-chlnhl-top-prospects-game

With an early and late 1st round pick, some of these kids will surely be good options for both.

And an early second.

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Commandant, who would you like to see the Habs be able to grab with their later 1st, early 2nd?  I realize the Calgary pick could be anywhere from 20-32. Thanks 

Do they have an early 2nd still, didn’t they move theirs to Phoenix?

49 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Do they have an early 2nd still, didn’t they move theirs to Phoenix?

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/Canadiens.htm

Habs have own 2nd.

"2022
1st round pick - Montréal
1st round pick - Arizona (from Montréal via Carolina - compensation for signing RFA Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Dvorak trade)
1st round pick - Montréal (from Calgary - Toffoli trade) [If the pick is in the top 10, Calgary will have the option to instead trade their 2023 1st round pick in addition to a 2024 4th round pick]
2nd round pick - Montréal
3rd round pick - Montréal
3rd round pick - Montréal (from Anaheim - traded for 2021 3rd round pick #76)
3rd round pick - Montréal (from Carolina - compensation for signing RFA Jesperi Kotkaniemi)
4th round pick - Montréal
4th round pick - Montréal (from Tampa Bay - traded for 2021 4th round pick #126)
5th round pick - Montréal
6th round pick - Montréal
7th round pick - Montréal
7th round pick - Montréal (from Arizona via Philly via Montréal via St. Louis - Allen trade, Gustafsson trade, Gostisbehere trade, traded for 2021 7th round pick #223)"