2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

3 minutes ago, DON said:

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/Canadiens.htm

Habs have own 2nd.

"2022
1st round pick - Montréal
1st round pick - Arizona (from Montréal via Carolina - compensation for signing RFA Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Dvorak trade)
1st round pick - Montréal (from Calgary - Toffoli trade) [If the pick is in the top 10, Calgary will have the option to instead trade their 2023 1st round pick in addition to a 2024 4th round pick]
2nd round pick - Montréal
3rd round pick - Montréal
3rd round pick - Montréal (from Anaheim - traded for 2021 3rd round pick #76)
3rd round pick - Montréal (from Carolina - compensation for signing RFA Jesperi Kotkaniemi)
4th round pick - Montréal
4th round pick - Montréal (from Tampa Bay - traded for 2021 4th round pick #126)
5th round pick - Montréal
6th round pick - Montréal
7th round pick - Montréal
7th round pick - Montréal (from Arizona via Philly via Montréal via St. Louis - Allen trade, Gustafsson trade, Gostisbehere trade, traded for 2021 7th round pick #223)"

Thanks. Wasn’t a 2nd included along with a 1st for Dvorak? Is that going to be from next year’s draft?

8 hours ago, huzer said:

2024 2nd.

Ahh, ok. Won’t be during he next to guaranteed suckage years.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Thanks. Wasn’t a 2nd included along with a 1st for Dvorak? Is that going to be from next year’s draft?

34 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That 2nd is in 2024.

My go to reference on draft pick transactions: https://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Years/

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Commandant, who would you like to see the Habs be able to grab with their later 1st, early 2nd?  I realize the Calgary pick could be anywhere from 20-32. Thanks 

There are a number of good players in that range to really narrow it down.  Trade deadline (who has what picks), and the final standings will help me narrow the targets.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

There are a number of good players in that range to really narrow it down.  Trade deadline (who has what picks), and the final standings will help me narrow the targets.

Fair enough, hopefully the Flames go out in the 1st round so that other #1 pick is in the 20 range. 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Fair enough, hopefully the Flames go out in the 1st round so that other #1 pick is in the 20 range. 

How does that work?

Say Flames finish 7th in NHL, so habs kinda would have 25th pick pre-playoffs.

Then , say Flames lose in 1st round; does the pick rise to #17 to #20 pick?

6 minutes ago, DON said:

How does that work?

It's a combination of regular season/playoff record below for teams that make the playoffs.  If the Flames win their division (likely) and go out in the first round then the pick is probably in the 20-24 range if I am reading this right. I don't dislike the Flames and am cheering for Tyler Toffoli to do well but .....

Here is an outline of the NHL Lottery:

1 All teams missing the playoffs are in a weighted-lottery

2 Teams with the least points get more chances at winning the lottery

3 Two teams will be selected through the lottery and will move up a maximum of 10 spots

4 Remaining lottery teams, sorted by team records with the worst record being first, fill out picks 3-16

5 Playoff teams that did not win their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks

6 Playoff teams that won their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks

7 Conference finals losers sorted by regular season points are assigned picks 29 and 30

8 Stanley Cup runner-up is assigned pick 31

9 Stanley Cup champion is assigned pick 32
Source

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's a combination of regular season/playoff record below for teams that make the playoffs.  If the Flames win their division (likely) and go out in the first round then the pick is probably in the 20-24 range if I am reading this right. I don't dislike the Flames and am cheering for Tyler Toffoli to do well but .....

Here is an outline of the NHL Lottery:

1 All teams missing the playoffs are in a weighted-lottery

2 Teams with the least points get more chances at winning the lottery

3 Two teams will be selected through the lottery and will move up a maximum of 10 spots

4 Remaining lottery teams, sorted by team records with the worst record being first, fill out picks 3-16

5 Playoff teams that did not win their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks

6 Playoff teams that won their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks

7 Conference finals losers sorted by regular season points are assigned picks 29 and 30

8 Stanley Cup runner-up is assigned pick 31

9 Stanley Cup champion is assigned pick 32
Source

Calgary is leading their Division so they would be slotted based on #6 ... so potentially #25-28 if the Flames don't make the Conference Finals, by how I read it.

Thanks, i doubt pick if is #20 vs #24 is significantly different success track record. But, obviously earlier more valued and gives more options.

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Calgary is leading their Division so they would be slotted based on #6 ... so potentially #25-28 if the Flames don't make the Conference Finals, by how I read it.

Yeah I think you might be right after having a closer look, how far they drop would depend on how many teams in the standings below them make the conference finals. 

5 hours ago, DON said:

How does that work?

Teams in final 4 pick 32-29

Division winners who didnt make final four go next.

Then the rest of playoff teams by points... with lowest points (who didnt make final four) at 17

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Does adding Barron change our approach to the entry draft ...

Dont think so.

Perhaps they trade picks for 23/24 ones given how many they have? Especially with 3 3rd and 3 4th picks.

Love that now have 2 1sts and 2 2nds this year,,, poor Timmins, he is sitting back thinking; what if i had all those picks to work with.:clap:

1 hour ago, DON said:

... poor Timmins, he is sitting back thinking; what if i had all those picks to work with.:clap:

... I could find some great bottom six/third pairing players

Kidding ... mostly ... not looking to relitigate TT's draft record ... but the "slam" was just sitting there begging to be used.

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Does adding Barron change our approach to the entry draft as we seem to have a lot of good young defense prospects or is it still BPA?  I hope we draft high enough to get one of Wright, Cooley or Slafkovsky. 

BPA every time.

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Does adding Barron change our approach to the entry draft as we seem to have a lot of good young defense prospects or is it still BPA?  I hope we draft high enough to get one of Wright, Cooley or Slafkovsky. 

Habs need a great goalie prospect, BPA out of  besides that

Edited by alfredoh2009

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Habs need a great goalie prospect, BPA out of  besides that

I'm fine with the Habs approach.  Take one goalie in the later rounds of the draft and hope one of these guys works out. 

Goalies are voodoo and I don't see a carey price level prospect in this draft. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm fine with the Habs approach.  Take one goalie in the later rounds of the draft and hope one of these guys works out. 

Goalies are voodoo and I don't see a carey price level prospect in this draft. 

Interesting to imagine, though, the Habs building a really strong team from the ground up, only to have goaltending be our Achilles Heel. It would be an inversion of the main pattern for the past 30 years.

33 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Interesting to imagine, though, the Habs building a really strong team from the ground up, only to have goaltending be our Achilles Heel. It would be an inversion of the main pattern for the past 30 years.

exactly, the way Allen has played since returning and how well Montembeault played under St-Louis goes to show why the Habs need to put more effort in building a better Goalie pipeline

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

exactly, the way Allen has played since returning and how well Montembeault played under St-Louis goes to show why the Habs need to put more effort in building a better Goalie pipeline

Neither one is/was expected to carry team or have much of future with Habs.

They need to spend more $$ on the forward group and less on defending. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Skaters can shelter/support a goalie ... goalies can save the odd defensive mistake but can't help the skaters score ... can't recall the last team that was built from the goalie out that won a Cup ... great goalies have won Cups but not certain their teams were built with them as the foundation.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Neither one is/was expected to carry team or have much of future with Habs.

They need to spend more $$ on the forward group and less on defending. 

that is not what I tried to write, I meant that

good x goaltending|               = wins

|(now)

bad   x goaltending|               = losses

|(now)

no x (good x goaltending)|    =

|(future)

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Primeau, Dobes, Dichow, Vrbetic have all shown some success in lower leagues. 

Just keep drafting them in the 4th round or later, and one is bound to work out. 

With all the picks we have, its not a bad strategy. 

I note Gorton did this with the Rangers, and he ended up with maybe the best goalie in the league (and certainly this year's vezina winner) in Shesterkin.   Shesterkin was a 4th rounder, and the Rangers second goalie drafted that year.