2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

I’m less confident in Primeau now; he might still end up as an NHL goalie but in my mind the odds are getting longer.

The three younger guys look promising but it’s a long path to the NHL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I’m less confident in Primeau now; he might still end up as an NHL goalie but in my mind the odds are getting longer.

The three younger guys look promising but it’s a long path to the NHL.

Sure, but the whole idea is that if you draft enough, one will hit. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Sure, but the whole idea is that if you draft enough, one will hit. 

Yes, very much agreed. Three might be enough, but another prospect or two would probably be good. We have enough late picks for that!

My bigger worry is the medium term, whether we will have a manageable gap after Price/Allen and before one of the prospects is ready.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

My bigger worry is the medium term, whether we will have a manageable gap after Price/Allen and before one of the prospects is ready.

We're rebuilding, so why worry?  We're not going to win much over the next couple of years.

6 hours ago, Neech said:

We're rebuilding, so why worry?  We're not going to win much over the next couple of years.

Agree.

Finding a couple top scoring all star forwards would be better to focus on.

Even if you need to trade for one the value of a goalie is lower than that of a centre or defenceman on the open market 

You may not get elite talent that way but you can get the stop gap easily enough.

51 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Even if you need to trade for one the value of a goalie is lower than that of a centre or defenceman on the open market 

You may not get elite talent that way but you can get the stop gap easily enough.

with the number of draft picks the Habs have, I would take a college goalie on the second or third round in 2022; instead of waiting for the later rounds, I would target a couple of goalies and scout the heck out of them to pick one up

why the reticence?

27 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

with the number of draft picks the Habs have, I would take a college goalie on the second or third round in 2022; instead of waiting for the later rounds, I would target a couple of goalies and scout the heck out of them to pick one up

why the reticence?

I tend to agree with Commandant on this in that it's so hard to figure out what goalies will end up making it in the NHL.  Of course you scout them and perhaps target one or two, I just don't think you use a high draft pick on them as it's such a gamble.  Carey Price was the exception. 

44 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

why the reticence?

I wouldnt take a goalie high unless its a carey price like prospect.

The chances of 2nd round goalie being better than the 4th or 5th rounder is minimal, statistically.  Goalies are voodoo.  Draft quantity and hope one works.

• Like 1

6'5", 214 lbs right-shot defenceman Noah Warren was the fastest in the 30M forward skate at the NHL Top Prospects Game testing ... he was also 5th fastest with the puck ... he is ranked #59 by TSN/Bob McKenzie and #45 by TSN/Craig Button ... right in the area (currently) of Edmonton's 2nd rounder if the Habs get it (i.e., Oilers don't advance to the Finals or, if they do, Duncan Keith is not in the top 4 in TOI in the first 3 rounds) ... just struck me as interesting that a defenceman with that size won.

22 hours ago, GHT120 said:

6'5", 214 lbs right-shot defenceman Noah Warren was the fastest in the 30M forward skate at the NHL Top Prospect

Struble was basically one of strongest guys at NHL combine, not going pan out.

So in general size and straight line speed dont impress me one bit.

Can he make a pass, or know how to defend a lick is much more important.

But like you say, interesting that a big kid can skate that quick and lots 2nd round pick d-men do surprise and turn out great or "How did a Weber/Keith/Subban/Fox fall this far?".

25 minutes ago, DON said:

But like you say, interesting that a big kid can skate that quick and lots 2nd round pick d-men do surprise and turn out great or "How did a Weber/Keith/Subban/Fox fall this far?".

There is a big difference between being strong (ie Struble) and being speedy for a hockey player.  It's also too early to say about Struble, it seemed like he had a strong latter part of the year. 

From what I have read it seems like the top 40 is pretty good this year and the Habs will have 3 picks in the top 40, likely top 35. Also the Oilers 2nd round pick should around the middle of the 2nd round if they go out early or if they don't make the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

We aren't talking about Struble, a second round pick.  I dispute that he is not going to pan out.  I still think he's a good prospect, who could take a defensive defenceman role. But I digress on that. 

That point is yes, sometimes there are great athletes who don't translate speed onto the ice. 

The thing is Wright isn't just straight line speed.  He's a top 5 performer in nearly every skating category at the top propsects game... agility, side to side, with turns, slaloms, straight line, etc.... it shows how good a skater he is.

The other thing is that we are talking about Shane Wright who has been the clear #1 pick for two years now.  His hockey sense, and ability to play the game arent' in question. However, I had some questions early this year about his skating. Other reports did too.  What I'm seeing in these results is the same thing I'm seeing on the ice.  His skating is vastly improved. 

We are also seeing that on the scoresheet as he was about 1.1 PPG in the first half of the season, and has been 1.59 PPG in the second half. 

I've also heard from a good source that when he missed two games at the Under 18s back in May, it was because he broke his foot.  He got it frozen and played in the medal round (and was the best player there) but it effected his offseason training and early season.  

With all that info, I have absolutely no issue taking the kid #1 overall.  The only question was if he was a dynamic skater or not (and we've seen John Tavares, Ryan Getzlaf, Joe Thornton, and others succeed as #1 Cs without being dynamic skaters), and these results and the uptick in his play, and learning the injury issues, these all give me confidence that while his skating isn't Connor McDavid, there is also nothing to worry about. 

was talking about a 6'13" 300lb d prospect who can skate fast, not wright

this fella

6'5", 214 lbs right-shot defenceman Noah Warren

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Fair enough, and yes I agree you need to watch more than just these combine numbers. 

Wright stood out at the top prospects game i think, had good start with goal & breakaway i heard.

I wonder, did any other kids impress, or stand out good/bad?

On 3/23/2022 at 8:57 AM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I tend to agree with Commandant on this in that it's so hard to figure out what goalies will end up making it in the NHL.  Of course you scout them and perhaps target one or two, I just don't think you use a high draft pick on them as it's such a gamble.  Carey Price was the exception. 

Even Price at 5 was regarded as too high for a goalie.  The only exception I can think of recently is MAF and there were still questions.

I do agree goalies are unpredictable.  We drafted Fucale who was Price’s heir apparent.  Turned out to be a bust.  Primeau was ranked as one of the best goalies in his age group post-draft.  

14 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Even Price at 5 was regarded as too high for a goalie.  The only exception I can think of recently is MAF and there were still questions.

I do agree goalies are unpredictable.  We drafted Fucale who was Price’s heir apparent.  Turned out to be a bust.  Primeau was ranked as one of the best goalies in his age group post-draft.  

Vasilevskiy was worth the first round pick.  In the same draft, Malcolm Subban also went first round and wasn't. 

11 minutes ago, Neech said:

Spencer Knight seems like a decent first round goalie, puzzling pick given the Bobrovsky contract though.  I sure am glad they left Cole on the board.

Looks good yes.  Its still early.

We will see on askarov and last years 2 first rounders.

Im fine taking a goalie of that caliber but no one is that calibre in 2022.  The top goalie is likely a second rounder.

If its not a price/vasilevskiy/knight level of prospect im fine with quantity as an approach for young goalies

the sporting news mock draft:

1. Montreal Canadiens: Shane Wright, C, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)

The consensus No. 1 pick is heading to the Habs. Wright had a slow start to the OHL season but bounced back nicely; he was up to 77 points in 52 games, good for 11th in the league. He's an excellent playmaker who will join a very promising forward group in Montreal with Cole Caufield and Nick Suzuki. 

2. Arizona Coyotes: Logan Cooley, C, USA U18 (NTDP)

Matty Beniers' high-IQ, two-way game went No. 2 in the draft last year; the same applies to Cooley, the prospective No. 2 pick of this year's draft. The University of Minnesota commit has 54 points in 37 games with the U.S. U18 national team. He's a smaller center (5-10) but he covers that with smart decision-making. After taking a scorer last year in the first round in Dylan Guenther, a center like Cooley is essential for the Coyotes' rebuild. 

3. Seattle Kraken: Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, TPS (Liiga)

So, most likely Habs will get one of these 3 kids?

I assume any of the 3 would be near top Hab prospect calibre, but Wright easily being that?

1 minute ago, DON said:

The consensus No. 1 pick is heading to the Habs. Wright had a slow start to the OHL season but bounced back nicely; he was up to 77 points in 52 games, good for 11th in the league. He's an excellent playmaker who will join a very promising forward group in Montreal with Cole Caufield and Nick Suzuki. 

Matty Beniers' high-IQ, two-way game went No. 2 in the draft last year; the same applies to Cooley, the prospective No. 2 pick of this year's draft. The University of Minnesota commit has 54 points in 37 games with the U.S. U18 national team. He's a smaller center (5-10) but he covers that with smart decision-making. After taking a scorer last year in the first round in Dylan Guenther, a center like Cooley is essential for the Coyotes' rebuild. 

I assume any of the 3 would be near top Hab prospect calibre, but Wright easily being that?

It’s pretty silly they’d have a mock draft, until the lottery and the positions are finalized. Rankings - sure. Mock draft sees dumb.

having said that I’d be happy if this is how it played out.

7 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It’s pretty silly they’d have a mock draft, until the lottery and the positions are finalized. Rankings - sure. Mock draft sees dumb.

having said that I’d be happy if this is how it played out.

No, but odds are Habs finish with a top 3 pick and these 3 are commonly rated top 5 (Wright at 1 of course). 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Caufield isn't a prospect anymore, and Guhle is our top prospect now. While good is not top 5 of the draft good.  Whoever we draft goes to #1 on my list.