2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It’s pretty silly they’d have a mock draft, until the lottery and the positions are finalized. Rankings - sure. Mock draft sees dumb.

having said that I’d be happy if this is how it played out.

Mock drafts aren't meant to be predictive.  They allow fans to look at the possible players who can be taken in and around each draft rank. 

I am no scout but I hope the Habs can nab Wright or Slafkovsky who is a beast.  The draft should be fun to watch for Habs fans this year. They have so many picks that I am guessing HuGo will be looking at using some of the extra picks to move up if there is someone they really want. 

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am no scout but I hope the Habs can nab Wright or Slafkovsky who is a beast.  The draft should be fun to watch for Habs fans this year. They have so many picks that I am guessing HuGo will be looking at using some of the extra picks to move up if there is someone they really want. 

I can see that. 

I can also see them moving picks in trades for players they want, youngish but in the NHL or close to it. 

Making 14 picks is unlikely IMO. 

32 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Mock drafts aren't meant to be predictive.  They allow fans to look at the possible players who can be taken in and around each draft rank. 

Very true ... I think hab29RETIRED's point was that, until the draft order is established, the same would be true of a simple prospect ranking 

Mock drafts simply give the media something to write about and it catches our attention because we are fans.  There are obviously still a lot of unknowns (ie. draft position of the teams and how those teams rank the players) which make them purely conjecture but they are fun to read. 

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

I'm not convinced Montreal won't find a way to screw up getting a top-3 pick.  They will probably go on a 10-game winning streak and end up picking closer to 10. 

Let's hope there are no 10 game winning streaks. I want a top 2 pick. 

10 picks in the 1st four rounds, should be a nice haul, even if deal away a couple for bit better 23-24 picks.

At moment picking 1, 25,33, 50, 65, 75, 94, 97, 120, 123, 129...

45 minutes ago, DON said:

10 picks in the 1st four rounds, should be a nice haul, even if deal away a couple for bit better 23-24 picks ...

OR ... in deals for "Barron-ish" prospects ... meaning a year or two further down the development train that HoGo rate as good as what is available at a given pick ... I think that is what is meant by an accelerated rebuild, not necessarily signing veteran UFAs.

Watched top prospects game, they said were 300 or so NHL scouts, GMs etc at the game.

Some kids stood out to me;

Savoie/Wright looked as advertised.

6'4" Geekie is pretty solid power forward.

6'3" Nathan Gaucher is another big lumbering forward

6'5" Noah Warren is one big RH d-man and covers large area with his reach.

6'2" Tristen Luneau another RH d-man looked good.

6'5" Owen Pickering lanky LH d-man also looked solid.

11 hours ago, DON said:

Watched top prospects game, they said were 300 or so NHL scouts, GMs etc at the game.

Some kids stood out to me;

Savoie/Wright looked as advertised.

6'4" Geekie is pretty solid power forward.

6'3" Nathan Gaucher is another big lumbering forward

6'5" Noah Warren is one big RH d-man and covers large area with his reach.

6'2" Tristen Luneau another RH d-man looked good.

6'5" Owen Pickering lanky LH d-man also looked solid.

Interesting ... thanks ... I'll cheer for Tristen Luneau ... he is a fellow Trifluvian.
😊

19 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Interesting ... thanks ... I'll cheer for Tristen Luneau ... he is a fellow Trifluvian.
😊

Seems Tristan Luneau ranked somewhere around Habs 2nd or 3rd pick.

From Elite Prospects:

Ranked #23 by FCHOCKEY

Don't know where to put this, here it goes:

I was going through the list of players drafted during TImmins' time with the Habs (going back to 2002-2003 when Bob Gainey hired him)

If I am not mistaken, here are the players still with the team:

* Price (2005)

* Gallagher (2010)

* Evans (2014)

* Vejdemo (2015)

* Pezzetta (2016)

* Poehling, Brook, Primeau (2017)

* Ylonen, Romanov, Hillis, *Harris (TBD:  Olofsson, Gorniak, Stapley) (2018) 

* Caufield, Stuble, Norlinder, Fairbrother, Rt.Pitlick, Dichow, Harvey-Pinard (2019)

* Guhle, Tuch, Mysak, Smith, Biondi, Farrel, Dobes, Gordin (2020)

* Mailloux, Kidney, Kapanen, Kostenko, Trudeau, Sobolev, Roy, Simoneau, Vrbetic

That is a lot of trading and hardly any impact players still with the Habs. It makes sense when you look at the 2014, 2015 playoff runs followed by the Weber/Danault/Drouin/Suzuki "reset" trades... but it is obvious that the Habs under MB were horrible at developing talent.

I can't wait to see what the Habs do at the draft this year. the future looks promising

21 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Very true ... I think hab29RETIRED's point was that, until the draft order is established, the same would be true of a simple prospect ranking 

Yeah. That’s  what I meant. Looks to me like there is a 99.9% chance that Wright will be the first pick regardless of who has that pick. From 2-5 will probably depend on the order of the picks.

in 2018, if the Sens had the 3rd pick, and the Canucks had the 4th pick, i doubt if either would have taken KK. 

a mock draft should have some factoring into what a team is looking or who they may be favouring, vs just an an evaluation of what the writer own  player rankings are. Otherwise, they should simply be calling it their player rankings.

I’m pretty sure most “mock” drafts had Zadina as the #3 player until the last few weeks before the draft, and had us taking  Tkachuck or Hughes.  I would have preferred  either, and knew or had heard very little about KK.   I was leaning more to Tkachuck, since he was supposed to be better than his older brother - who was probably one of the best 1st rounders Calgary had picked in a long time. 

39 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Don't know where to put this, here it goes:

I was going through the list of players drafted during TImmins' time with the Habs (going back to 2002-2003 when Bob Gainey hired him)

If I am not mistaken, here are the players still with the team:

* Price (2005)

* Gallagher (2010)

* Evans (2014)

* Vejdemo (2015)

* Pezzetta (2016)

* Poehling, Brook, Primeau (2017)

* Ylonen, Romanov, Hillis, *Harris (TBD:  Olofsson, Gorniak, Stapley) (2018) 

* Caufield, Stuble, Norlinder, Fairbrother, Rt.Pitlick, Dichow, Harvey-Pinard (2019)

* Guhle, Tuch, Mysak, Smith, Biondi, Farrel, Dobes, Gordin (2020)

* Mailloux, Kidney, Kapanen, Kostenko, Trudeau, Sobolev, Roy, Simoneau, Vrbetic

That is a lot of trading and hardly any impact players still with the Habs. It makes sense when you look at the 2014, 2015 playoff runs followed by the Weber/Danault/Drouin/Suzuki "reset" trades... but it is obvious that the Habs under MB were horrible at developing talent.

I can't wait to see what the Habs do at the draft this year. the future looks promising

It’s a pretty sorry record when you consider that the only long term players still here are Gallagher and Price. Player development was obviously a huge issue. A large part of that is on picking the wrong coaches at both the NHL and AHL, as well as with rushing players. There is no way in hell that KK should have been even been considered NHL ready in 2018, regardless of how he looked in camp, given how crappy the roster was.

if you look at Yzerman, as a comparison, he has let players marinate in the minors or overseas. The best thing that I think happened could have happened for Buffalo given how lousy they are is Powers going to college, even though they wanted him to play. 

1 minute ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Am I  the only one who now thinks and afraid we’re going to pick 5th-10th place in this years draft? I understand the winning is good development and Confidence for the kids but  boy we could’ve had first or second overall here with Wright or Slafkovsky.. 

1) Its a lottery with like a 1/4 chance to pick first even if you are last, so meh.

2) I still think we are going to finish bottom 3. 

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

1) Its a lottery with like a 1/4 chance to pick first even if you are last, so meh ...

True ... but that his slightly more than twice the odds of the second worst team ... and last guarantees at worst selecting third ... currently no worse than 5th

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

True ... but that his slightly more than twice the odds of the second worst team ... and last guarantees at worst selecting third ... currently no worse than 5th

And? Nothing can be done about it.

Again, who is to say pick #6 isnt going to be the best, there always is Yakapov or Alexandre Daigle's at #1 that bust...so why worry...

Just, obviously, would be nice to have option to pick ANY, but not huge deal.

1 hour ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Am I  the only one who now thinks and afraid we’re going to pick 5th-10th place in this years draft? I understand the winning is good development and Confidence for the kids but  boy we could’ve had first or second overall here with Wright or Slafkovsky.. 

You are not the only who is a little concerned.  Would love to see the Habs get Wright or Slafkovsky  especially now that they signed Harris and got Barron.  Hopefully the lottery balls work in our favour. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You are not the only who is a little concerned.  Would love to see the Habs get Wright or Slafkovsky  especially now that they signed Harris and got Barron.  Hopefully the lottery balls work in our favour. 

Obviously we all hope that.

But, i am not concerned or worried about it.

Definitely would say will be bit 'anxious', but not pessimistic.

1 minute ago, DON said:

Obviously we all hope that.

But, i am not concerned or worried about it.

Definitely would say will be bit 'anxious', but not pessimistic.

Yup, that's another of my Captain Obvious statements.  Hab's have some tough games coming, hopefully Florida, Tampa and Carolina don't take them lightly. 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

..., hopefully Florida, Tampa and Carolina don't take them lightly. 

Hard to get up to play against the 32nd...31st...30th ranked team.:)

Drafting a Cooley, not Wright at this point, still not horrible downgrade.

11 hours ago, DON said:

Hard to get up to play against the 32nd...31st...30th ranked team.:)

Drafting a Cooley, not Wright at this point, still not horrible downgrade.

But still a projected downgrade.