2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

But still a projected downgrade.

Again, the players, coaches and mgmt are going to try and win every game and i hope all of players finish the season strong.

Which most likely is much more important for more kids (14, 22, 27, 52...) than the difference between picking 1 and 3.

That is what i meant.

28 minutes ago, DON said:

Again, the players, coaches and mgmt are going to try and win every game and i hope all of players finish the season strong.

Which most likely is much more important for more kids (14, 22, 27, 52...) than the difference between picking 1 and 3.

That is what i meant.

And what I mean is that while players and coaches will ALWAYS try to win, from management's perspective it would be shortsighted to be happy with any climbing in the standings ... and since this roster is still IMO a ways away from being a serious playoff team (i.e., not a 7/8/9/10 and pray team), as a fan I take the longer term view and want the team have the best shot at the best players possible (it isn't just the first round that is impacted) ... and, to also have  the greatest trade value for the picks if an option presents itself.

19 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

And what I mean is that while players and coaches will ALWAYS try to win, from management's perspective it would be shortsighted to be happy with any climbing in the standings ... and since this roster is still IMO a ways away from being a serious playoff team (i.e., not a 7/8/9/10 and pray team), as a fan I take the longer term view and want the team have the best shot at the best players possible (it isn't just the first round that is impacted) ... and, to also have  the greatest trade value for the picks if an option presents itself.

So what do you want management to do TODAY to prevent winning? Send all eligible players to Laval? Fake injuries to productive players? Shelve Allen and play Monty the rest of the way? If there's a way to make your team less desirable to players, that's certainly the way to do it.

6 minutes ago, huzer said:

So what do you want management to do TODAY to prevent winning? Send all eligible players to Laval? Fake injuries to productive players? Shelve Allen and play Monty the rest of the way? If there's a way to make your team less desirable to players, that's certainly the way to do it.

I was responding to the statement "the players, coaches and mgmt are going to try and win every game" ... wasn't suggesting they do anything, just that they shouldn't (IMO) be hoping to collect points.

17 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I was responding to the statement "

the players, coaches and mgmt are going to try and win every game" ... wasn't suggesting they do anything, just that they shouldn't (IMO) be hoping to collect points.

Hoping not to collect points indicates an accepted expectation of losing. I don't think anyone at a high level of professional sports plays with the expectation of losing. Yes, teams have purposely tanked, but given what has been stated, and what the Habs have done with personnel and trades since Hughes has been named GM, I don't believe management wants the team to lose. I'd say if they were willingly hoping to lose, Ducharme would still be here.

I cringe a bit at every earned point, but when Caufield/Suzuki/Pitlick/etc are shining to help get those points, its all right by me and that is more important long-term, that the current roster kids get 20+minutes icetime and dont worry about standings.

My frickin eyes were bleeding trying to watch the god awful first 1/2 season of games and these competitive or honest effort games lately are quite enjoyable.

:gohabsgo:

• Like 1

Pronman:

Projected bubble NHL All-Star and top of the lineup player

1. Shane Wright, C, Kingston (OHL)

2. Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, TPS (Finland)

Projected top of the lineup player

3. Logan Cooley, C, USA U-18 (NTDP)

4. David Jiricek, RHD, Plzen (CZREP)

41 minutes ago, DON said:

IF dont win lottery/ 1st pick this year...next year #1 is Bedard isnt it?

16 year old #s...not bad.

2021-22 Regina Pats WHL 54 44 41 85 32 1

I doubt they will be a bottom 3 team next season but hope they have a lottery shot at Bedard.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I doubt they will be a bottom 3 team next season but hope they have a lottery shot at Bedard.

But if dont get #1 pick this year, they are 'eligible' to win it next year...just not 2 years in a row anymore eh.

Two great picks of impact players in back to back years would be just what this franchise has needed for almost 30yrs.

I can dream cant I!:D

24 minutes ago, DON said:

But if dont get #1 pick this year, they are 'eligible' to win it next year...just not 2 years in a row anymore eh.

Two great picks of impact players in back to back years would be just what this franchise has needed for almost 30yrs.

I share the DREAM ... after all, I buy lottery tickets ... but they need to not finish better than 11th worst next season (lottery winners can only advance 10 spots)

29 minutes ago, DON said:

You can win 2 years in a row. 

You can't win 3 times in 5 years. 

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

Back in last overall and our schedule is pretty tough the rest of the season.

Yes but it also looks like Clayton Keller may have a serious injury and be out the rest of the year and there is zero incentive for Arizona to rush him back. 

I won't lose any sleep if the Habs go into a little slump. Having said that, I hope they work hard, have fun,  have the young kids develop and gain confidence  BUT I hope they come up  just a little short in their remaining games, maybe win the odd one to keep morale up. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Hopefully Seattle and Arizona can do something positive tonight as well. 

no luck tonight it appears

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Devils blow a 4 goal lead in the 3rd but at least pick up a point, 7 points ahead of the Habs now.  However their defense is atrocious, have given up 15 goals in the last 2 games.  Need a big effort from Philly tonight. 

Should be able to fend the Devils off, Habs have them by 7 points with 15 or so games left.

When is the draft lottery, around May 1st?

26 minutes ago, DON said:

... When is the draft lottery, around May 1st?

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think they have determined a date for it yet. 

Last season ended on May 19th and the lottery was on June 2, early in the 2nd round of the playoffs ... expect something similar again, early 2nd round.

I kinda assume this kid will be gone before Habs 2nd pick. On paper seems he is smaller offensive d-man and 1.0 PPG is pretty good.

28296.jpg

Denton Mateychuk

#5 D

Moose Jaw Warriors

Shoots: L

Height:5'11

Weight:186

Birthdate: 2004-07-12

Hometown: Dominion City, MB

GP   G  A  PTS

61   11 50  61   

Similar to another WHL d-man; Kevin Korchinski 58pts 61gms, another projected mid 1st round pick that might be good choice if available, or perhaps move up to get. Need Flames to flame out the last bit of season and get punted in 1st round.:pray: