2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Start the countdown - the Draft Lottery will be Monday, May 16th at 7 PM ET which is Day 1 of the second round.

Countdown Timer – Countdown to May 16, 2022 7:00 pm in Ottawa (timeanddate.com)

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

You might want to check that again 

Thanks ... mis-click in the setup ... corrected in my original post ... and here it is as well

Countdown Timer – Countdown to May 16, 2022 7:00 pm in Ottawa (timeanddate.com)

• Upvote 1

It's looking more and more like the Habs will finish bottom 3 which means the farthest they can drop  down is to the #5 spot, or more optimistically move to #1.  The Habs are starting to run out of games to catch Philly/New Jersey and 5 of their last 8 games are against really good teams plus they lose in any tie breaker since their ROW will be the lowest.  It was nice to see Jersey get a few points.  Now maybe Seattle and Arizona can win some games they are not expected to. 

16 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Now maybe Seattle and Arizona can win some games they are not expected to. 

May 16th eh, getting anxious...come on #1, for 1st time in 42 years, Habs are due.:hockey:

But, the rest of projected top 5 are all intriguing kids, who could be awesome add to prospect pool. .

4 minutes ago, DON said:

But, the rest of projected top 5 are all intriguing kids, who could be awesome add to prospect pool. .

For sure, they should get a really good one in the top 5, I am really smitten with Slafkovsky but we will leave it to the pro scouts. 

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If we dont get wright, i really want Cooley.

I just hope they make the right choice. It's a big year for them and they have a lot of picks in the first 3 rounds. It must be fun to be a scout for the Habs this year knowing that your work is going to be really important unlike the Leafs who have a total of 3 picks. 

51 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I just hope they make the right choice.

I just hope in next 2 years, they can hit on 2 top-six or top-4 projected kids of the four 1st round picks they got.

(or trade one or two for similar quality prospect(s)).

And to find a steal or two in later rounds would be a bonus.

1st year without Timmins for hell of a long time. 

I know he's a Left Hand shot, but I wouldn't mind using the Calgary pick and maybe one of the second rounders and trading up a few spots if Denton Mateychuk is on the board.  He has that skating and puck skills and offensive ability that reminds me a bit of Quinn Hughes. 

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I know he's a Left Hand shot, but I wouldn't mind using the Calgary pick and maybe one of the second rounders and trading up a few spots if Denton Mateychuk is on the board.  He has that skating and puck skills and offensive ability that reminds me a bit of Quinn Hughes. 

From what I have read he is an offensive force and might go in the teen's somewhere. He is also a mid July birthday so one of the younger guys in the draft.  The Habs have a lot of draft currency to move up. Do you think it would take their own #2 pick (35 overall)  to be thrown in or would the Oilers #2 (55 overall) be enough to move from say 25 to 15?  Likely their own #2 pick. 

10 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

From what I have read he is an offensive force and might go in the teen's somewhere. He is also a mid July birthday so one of the younger guys in the draft.  The Habs have a lot of draft currency to move up. Do you think it would take their own #2 pick (35 overall)  to be thrown in or would the Oilers #2 (55 overall) be enough to move from say 25 to 15?  Likely their own #2 pick. 

25 to 15, likely needs 35

25 to 20 likely could be done with 55. 

Its a matter of how high you need to move. 

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

25 to 15, likely needs 35

25 to 20 likely could be done with 55. 

Its a matter of how high you need to move. 

Thanks, this is definitely a draft where I see the Habs using their extra picks to move up as they need to focus on quality not quantity. 

• Like 1

This feels like a critical draft in the future of the habs. Far more so than the average one. 

With an already strong group of young players/prospects in the system, hitting big on 2-3 players could transform us into a powerhouse in a few years time.

If Suzuki, Caufield, Barron, Guhle, Romanov, a few other hands like Ylonen, Mailloux, Josh Roy, or Emil Heineman can hit their stride while Wright/Cooley and another couple 2022 prospects are on their entry levels, we could be very very strong 

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

This feels like a critical draft in the future of the habs. Far more so than the average one. 

With an already strong group of young players/prospects in the system, hitting big on 2-3 players could transform us into a powerhouse in a few years time.

If Suzuki, Caufield, Barron, Guhle, Romanov, a few other hands like Ylonen, Mailloux, Josh Roy, or Emil Heineman can hit their stride while Wright/Cooley and another couple 2022 prospects are on their entry levels, we could be very very strong 

For sure, it's a draft to try and target those 2 or 3 really good players you want and use those extra 2nd and 3rd rounders to move up.  They have enough quantity.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If we're not doing BPA ... would we draft another LD in the first round? Seems a bit crowded in that position.

If you think he is special then maybe you do. Mateychuk won't be 18 until July. By the time he is likely NHL ready he is probably 21-22, if your blueline is getting a little crowded at that time then  you can always make a trade.