2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

If we're not doing BPA ... would we draft another LD in the first round? Seems a bit crowded in that position.

The only D prospect we have who has the profile of Matvechuk offensively is Norlinder.   And Norlinder isnt close to the same quality of prospect, just the style he brings.

I think Matvechuk could be a Quinn Hughes style of player and change our PP and transition game for a long time.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Seems this kid is ranked better than Flames pick will likely be. But maybe trade that early 2nd rounder and move up i suppose? 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/570931/denton-mateychuk

Yes... i said from the start we would likely need to move up from the flames pick to get him.  We have a shit ton of capital though.

Walking away from this draft with Wright/cooley and a potential #1 dman would be a huge success.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Flames are a lock to be division winner, so that effects the pick was mentioned awhile ago.

Yes, it was discussed here before.  I think by winning the division that their #1 pick will be somewhere in the 25-28 range, later if they make the conference final. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes, I know... we would need to trade up.

No, wondering how does the flame pick get slotted as a division winner, 25th at best or something like that, if they lose in 1st round?

got it.

4 hours ago, DON said:

Crunch time!:nuts:

Kracken 73gms 52pts

Habs      74gms 51pts

Coyotes 74gms 49pts 

Kraken   73gms 52pts

Habs      75gms 51pts

Coyotes 74gms 49pts 

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It was always gonna be tough to “beat” the Coyotes…

Yes but tonight's loss is going to make it really hard now to catch Philly or Jersey.  Habs will almost assuredly finish bottom 3 with Seattle having a reasonable chance now to finish ahead of the Habs.  The Habs have a tough schedule to finish the year, 5 of the 7 games are against really good teams. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes but tonight's loss is going to make it really hard now to catch Philly or Jersey.  Habs will almost assuredly finish bottom 3 with Seattle having a reasonable chance now to finish ahead of the Habs.  The Habs have a tough schedule to finish the year, 5 of the 7 games are against really good teams. 

image.jpeg

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

A good article, like Commandant, this guy loves Mateychuk and Cooley. 

But, odds are good that the Habs wont trade up and will be picking 25-30. And this group for Flames pick is more likely.

Screenshot_2022_04_07_225405.png

And for Habs 3rd pick at 33rd -35th.

Maybe Luca Del Bel Belluz ...just for the name.

Screenshot_2022_04_07_232257.png

I don't know where those rankings came from, but I have big questions about them, especially Connor Geekie at 23rd. 

I'd say these are likely to be more accurate.  Even if they are older and some players have moved up or down.

https://www.tsn.ca/shane-wright-nhl-draft-kingston-frontenacs-bob-mckenzie-1.1748239

and Mateychuk could be available based on the McKenzie Ranks (but I suspect he's one who moved up).

Still I like the January ranks from McKenzie, better than whatever those are. 

"Arizona’s last eight games, seven — Calgary, Carolina, Washington, St. Louis, Minnesota, Dallas and Nashville — are against playoff teams"

If we don’t pull off Shane Wright, there is still a really solid group in the next 5-6 picks.

walking away with Cooley or Kemell could add offensive flair up front. Slavfosky and Geekie and two big bodies with skill, and Nemec/Jiricek could be too pairing d men.

Beyond Wright, my personal favourites are probably Cooley, Nemec then Kemell

1 hour ago, DON said:

"Arizona’s last eight games, seven — Calgary, Carolina, Washington, St. Louis, Minnesota, Dallas and Nashville — are against playoff teams"

Yup, plus Keller is gone for the rest of the year.  I don't see any way the Habs finish below Arizona. Seattle has a much easier schedule plus 2 games in hand. Habs will finish 2nd or 3rd from the bottom and then we will see how the lottery balls come up. 

Say, Kracken 'win' 31st spot over Habs and Flame pick ends up 28th; strictly from Mackenzie scout poll ranking, would be;

3rd Joakim Kemell RW Finn

28th Maverick Lamoreux XL D QMJHL

35th Lian Bichsel XL D Swede

I dont enough about any of these guys, if that would be good haul or not?

I would think most habfans would choose different at #3.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Say, Kracken 'win' 31st spot over Habs and Flame pick ends up 28th; strictly from Mackenzie scout poll ranking, would be;

3rd Joakim Kemell RW Finn

28th Maverick Lamoreux XL D QMJHL

35th Lian Bichsel XL D Swede

I dont enough about any of these guys, if that would be good haul or not?

I would think most habfans would choose different at #3.

I don't see Kemell listed in the top 5 in any recent rankings as I think others have moved ahead of him. Plus I think most are most excited about grabbing a C or RD. 

I am always a little skeptical abut draft rankings.  They might be a decent guide but I don't see why a scout would give away too many secrets. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yup, plus Keller is gone for the rest of the year.  I don't see any way the Habs finish below Arizona. Seattle has a much easier schedule plus 2 games in hand. Habs will finish 2nd or 3rd from the bottom and then we will see how the lottery balls come up. 

It only takes one extra win for arizona, they have the tiebreaker.

I think we will finish bottom 3 for sure. Where in that bottom 3 is up in the air 

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

It only takes one extra win for arizona, they have the tiebreaker.

I think we will finish bottom 3 for sure. Where in that bottom 3 is up in the air 

Please Sainted Ghost of Bill Durnan, not another #3 pick…🤞Make it 1 or 2 at worst

• Upvote 1