2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

They have a team with similar strength to what they had at the beginning of the season and they are having similar results ... but gosh oh golly, chipper attitude 

If you look at purely stats, DD's record was 8-30-7,  St. Louis is 12-15-4   

I think that's a big difference, plus St. Louis lost Toffoli, Lehkonen and Chiarot through trades getting back nobody that helped him this year. 

I felt bad for DD because he was dealt a bad hand but the Habs have been clearly better under St. Louis. 

On another note I have been doing a lot of reading on the 2023 draft and it looks terrific, a lot of really good centres, I think 6 of the top 8 players listed  are centres.  And it's not just Michkov and Bedard but Adam Fantilli looks like a beast. I know others have mentioned that the 2023 draft looks great. Hopefully Florida wins the cup and they have a huge letdown next year. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

On another note I have been doing a lot of reading on the 2023 draft and it looks terrific, a lot of really good centres, I think 6 of the top 8 players listed  are centres. .. 

With Wright or Cooley & Suzuki, hope centre wont be weakness for next while.:hyper:

23 minutes ago, DON said:

With Wright or Cooley & Suzuki, hope centre wont be weakness for next while.:hyper:

You can never have too many centres. It didn’t hurt Pittsburg to draft Malkin, Crosby and Stall.

13 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If you look at purely stats, DD's record was 8-30-7,  St. Louis is 12-15-4   

I think that's a big difference, plus St. Louis lost Toffoli, Lehkonen and Chiarot through trades getting back nobody that helped him this year. 

I felt bad for DD because he was dealt a bad hand but the Habs have been clearly better under St. Louis. 

Indeed. Making a huge point out of defending DD seems like an exercise in sheer iconoclasm for its own sake. There is literally nothing to defend, not unlike the Houle era of GMing.

1 minute ago, Neech said:

With Bedard looking like the next big thing, is there anyone else hoping we end up with #2 instead of #1?

Why?

It has no effect on 2023.

The rule is that you cant win 3 lotteries in 5 years, nothing says you can't get two #1 picks in a row (though the stats on that are low due to lottery odds, the 2023 odds are not dependent on what happened in 2022).

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Huge wins for Seattle and Jersey although Jersey was likely far enough away anyway.  A huge loss for Vegas in an almost must win for them.  How could they not come up big in that game?  Didn't expect Arizona to win and they didn't. 

That win for seattle is huge.  Chances are we are bottom 2 now.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Why?

It has no effect on 2023.

The rule is that you cant win 3 lotteries in 5 years, nothing says you can't get two #1 picks in a row (though the stats on that are low due to lottery odds, the 2023 odds are not dependent on what happened in 2022).

Oh for some reason I thought you couldn't win consecutively, maybe the NBA does that. Wright and Bedard it is! 

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That win for seattle is huge.  Chances are we are bottom 2 now.

That is a huge win. Finish bottom 2 and they draft anywhere from 1 to 4 plus #34 in round 2. And we get to cheer against the Flames in the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is a huge win. Finish bottom 2 and they draft anywhere from 1 to 4 plus #34 in round 2. And we get to cheer against the Flames in the playoffs. 

I always cheer against you the flames in the playoffs 😁

Five games left for the Habs. Philly is six points ahead, Seattle five, so those look pretty unlikely, too.

On the other hand, we keep offering opportunities to Arizona (two points behind) but they have not grasped one of those yet. Not likely but there is still some hope.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Five games left for the Habs. Philly is six points ahead, Seattle five, so those look pretty unlikely, too.

On the other hand, we keep offering opportunities to Arizona (two points behind) but they have not grasped one of those yet. Not likely but there is still some hope.

Plus Seattle has 2 games in hand again, bottom 2 is looking more and more probable.  You are right, not likely but can always hope Arizona pulls off a miracle. 

Philly has made some bad decisions.  They gave Arizona a 2nd round pick in this year's draft to take Gostisbehere off their hands.  So far Gostisbehere has 44 points for a bad team plus Arizona will have something like the 35th pick in a good draft year. Philly also threw in a 7th round pick.  Arizona gave up nothing but some cap room. 

https://www.fiveforhowling.com/2021/7/26/22589805/arizona-coyotes-win-big-in-trade-for-shayne-gostisbehere

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Philly has made some bad decisions.  They gave Arizona a 2nd round pick in this year's draft to take Gostisbehere off their hands.  So far Gostisbehere has 44 points for a bad team plus Arizona will have something like the 35th pick in a good draft year. Philly also threw in a 7th round pick.  Arizona gave up nothing but some cap room. 

https://www.fiveforhowling.com/2021/7/26/22589805/arizona-coyotes-win-big-in-trade-for-shayne-gostisbehere

Cap space is precious ... otherwise teams wouldn't make trades like that 

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Cap space is precious ... otherwise teams wouldn't make trades like that 

Cap space is precious. Obviously Philly didn't use the cap space they gained very wisely or they wouldn't be such a bad team. I will be very very surprised if the Habs don't beat them Thursday. 

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Cap space is precious. Obviously Philly didn't use the cap space they gained very wisely or they wouldn't be such a bad team. I will be very very surprised if the Habs don't beat them Thursday. 

The habs are also such a bad team.