2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

7 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but we just have to lose ONE more in regulation to lock up the best lotto odds 

As Commandant says, magic number is 2 points, 2 overtime losses would also do it or one regulation loss, or Arizona getting 2 more points.  Tie breaker in favour of Arizona for the higher seed because they will have more regulation wins.

10 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but we just have to lose ONE more in regulation to lock up the best lotto odds 

But you are correct, one more loss in regulation for the Habs and they have the best odds. Hopefully it's over tomorrow night so I can cheer for the Habs against Florida. 

11 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

2 points.

Any combo of points we lose and points the coyotes gain... of 2 clinches it.

Thats 1 regulation loss or

2 OT losses

I wish I had more faith in our lottery luck. 😬 Not that our luck has been especially bad in this respect in the past. Maybe I’m suffering from ambient PTSD from living in Van and seeing the Canucks repeatedly slide down in the lottery. Or maybe drafting 1st overall is such an unthinkable outcome for the Habs - it hasn’t happened since 1980 - that such an outcome feels implausible to me. But I have this persistent pessimism that we’ll end up drafting at #3, like we “always” do.

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think this year's draft is strong enough that even #3 would be good.

Now where have I heard that before? 🤔 #galchenytuk #Kotkaniemi 

No thanks. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Now where have I heard that before? 🤔 #galchenytuk #Kotkaniemi 

No thanks. 

What happened before with Montreal drafting at #3 will have zero bearing on what happens this year should they happen to draft #3 again.  Hopefully this group is a little smarter about rushing an 18 year old kid (ie KK) and it was a horrible draft year when they drafted Galchenyuk  (none of the top 4 turned out). 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

What happened before with Montreal drafting at #3 will have zero bearing on what happens this year should they happen to draft #3 again.  Hopefully this group is a little smarter about rushing an 18 year old kid (ie KK) and it was a horrible draft year when they drafted Galchenyuk  (none of the top 4 turned out). 

image.jpeg

You're correct, of course - two disasters at #3 doesn't mean we'd have a disaster this year. 

However, I don't remember anyone saying, when we drafted Galy, "oh this is a terrible draft year, none of these guys are gonna pan out." What I remember hearing is how we had drafted a probable top-6 C who would be a core piece for years to come. So when someone says, "we'll get a great player at #3," I wince.

What I'm saying is this: I don't want any bullsh*t befalling us. We're set to finish last overall and I want the #1 overall pick. The trouble is, I don't trust the hockey gods not to screw us over.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wish I had more faith in our lottery luck. 😬 Not that our luck has been especially bad in this respect in the past. Maybe I’m suffering from ambient PTSD from living in Van and seeing the Canucks repeatedly slide down in the lottery. Or maybe drafting 1st overall is such an unthinkable outcome for the Habs - it hasn’t happened since 1980 - that such an outcome feels implausible to me. But I have this persistent pessimism that we’ll end up drafting at #3, like we “always” do.

My fear is we get #1 and Wright turns into Wickeneiser, while Cooley is Savard.

10 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

My fear is we get #1 and Wright turns into Wickeneiser, while Cooley is Savard.

Ha! That is a subsidiary anxiety for sure. So many different ways for the Habs to turn a silk purse into a sow's arse...

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

image.jpeg

You're correct, of course - two disasters at #3 doesn't mean we'd have a disaster this year. 

However, I don't remember anyone saying, when we drafted Galy, "oh this is a terrible draft year, none of these guys are gonna pan out." What I remember hearing is how we had drafted a probable top-6 C who would be a core piece for years to come. So when someone says, "we'll get a great player at #3," I wince.

What I'm saying is this: I don't want any bullsh*t befalling us. We're set to finish last overall and I want the #1 overall pick. The trouble is, I don't trust the hockey gods not to screw us over.

Good points. There are no  guarantees even with the #1 pick, the higher pick just improves your odds.  Like you and probably everyone on this board, I want the #1 pick and we will see where it takes us.