2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Situationally (i.e., ***NOT*** actually comparing the players) this Wright/Cooley "debate" reminds me somewhat of McDavid/Eichel ... McDavid was a 15-yr-old OHL whiz-kid ... projected for much of his three full seasons in the OHL before being drafted as the presumptive #1 pick ... Eichel emerged later ... he was the "new kid" while McDavid had been analyzed to death ... I make no pretence at knowing anything about how the players should be ranked in the draft. so maybe Cooley is the better player ... but I fear that Wright's time under a microscope may result in his being assessed more severely than the new shiny new kid Cooley. 

You have to keep in mind that McDavid was crushing it, and didn’t have what is almost an average year for a consensus first round pick. There is a difference between others guy showing their are worthy, and a player start creating doubt by their own play.  Wright was good later half of the year, but he wasn’t playing like a guaranteed 1st puck at the start. The lost development time also hurt him.

tough call - I just don’t want a Doug Wickeneiser situation, and let another Savard slip by.

Top 2 2009-17;

Tavares-Barkov

Hall-Segain

Nugent-Hopkins -Landeskog

Yakupov-Murray

Mackinnon-Barkov

Ekblad-Reinhart

McDavid-Eichel

Matthews-Laine

Hischier-Patrick

Some years better than others for sure.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Top 2 2009-17;

Tavares-Barkov

Hall-Segain

Nugent-Hopkins -Landeskog

Yakupov-Murray

Mackinnon-Barkov

Ekblad-Reinhart

McDavid-Eichel

Matthews-Laine

Hischier-Patrick

Some years better than others for sure.

Hopefully it doesn’t end up being a yakapov-Murray type year, and also better than Hischier-Patrick top two.

49 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

At what point do we draft a goaltender? With the news on Price not looking good we need to find his replacement. So is it this year's draft or next year's draft we draft a goaltender? 

They have several goalies in their system already - they've drafted quite a few in recent years and they all had pretty good seasons this year.  I don't think they'll want to use the Calgary first on a goalie but are there some options in the second round that could be of interest?  Keep in mind that if they pick someone now, that goalie is probably four years away from having a shot at being NHL-ready.

51 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

At what point do we draft a goaltender? With the news on Price not looking good we need to find his replacement. So is it this year's draft or next year's draft we draft a goaltender? 

True, we may need to find a replacement  but the Habs have some excellent goaltending prospects right now. 

https://awinninghabit.com/2021/12/13/montreal-canadiens-great-goaltending-prospects/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Who are some good comparable for Cooley?

Marner-lite perhaps.

Seems smart, shifty playmaker.

Marner is who comes to my mind, i would suggest watch one of the 5-10minute montage/compilation of his highlights on youtube.

https://thehockeywriters.com/logan-cooley-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

one of many profiles of him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

Marner-lite perhaps.

Seems smart, shifty playmaker.

Marner is who comes to my mind, i would suggest watch one of the 5-10minute montage/compilation of his highlights on youtube.

https://thehockeywriters.com/logan-cooley-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

one of many profiles of him.

Interesting though, they mention his two way game a lot there. All that talent + responsible sounds like a damn good player. 

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Seems like would be nice option at 27-32, unlikely to last that long is my uneducated guess...but 61a in 67gms is the type d-man that Habs could use.

https://whl.ca/article/thunderbirds-defenceman-korchinski-named-whl-player-of-the-week

I think you are right about not lasting that long as many project him to go higher than the Habs 2nd 1st round pick but if he is available he might be a great choice, he might be one you trade up for you.

19 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think you are right about not lasting that long as many project him to go higher than the Habs 2nd 1st round pick but if he is available he might be a great choice, he might be one you trade up for you.

The Elite Prospects listing of his rankings, eliminating a couple of high (7&12) and low (42&46) outliers, offers a range of 18-32 ... so possible

Habs need a goalie, but this year seems to be poor in Goalie prospects:

Blomquist? Beuprit? Brennan?

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/2022/recruit-scouting?position=g

51 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Draft one in the fourth round or later and see what happens.  Goalies are voodoo.

And they have recent draftees "in the pipeline" beyond Primeau ... Joe Vrbetic drafted last year, Jakub Dobes in 2020, and Frederik Dichow in 2019 ... Habs have a "presumed" late 3rd rounder (Hurricanes, third of Habs three 3rd rounders) and three 4th rounders ... so throwing one at goalie if one warrants it would make sense.

Goalies are the least of my concerns for the upcoming draft.  As Commandant said goalies are so hit and miss that you don't waste an early pick unless they could be another Carey Price.  If you need a goalie right now then you trade for one as any goalie drafted now won't be ready for 3-4 years. They are quite a few goalies  in the Habs pipeline as many have indicated.  Just need 1 to turn out. 

I just bring it up because Hugh-Gort does not see any NHL starter potential in the goalies they have in the systems, a damming statement in Primeau.

Repeating the recipe this draft and picking a G in the late rounds has not worked before and has little chance of working this time neither. I would load up on Gs this summer since it will take at least three seasons or any of the to show their true value . That time frame aligns with the rebuild.

If we need stopgap goalies like Huet or Hackett for the coming couple of years (Price to injured) there could be a few to chose from the khl. Alot of players boycotting that league now.

2 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

If we need stopgap goalies like Huet or Hackett for the coming couple of years (Price to injured) there could be a few to chose from the khl. Alot of players boycotting that league now.

We also still have Jake Allen under contract and he's one of the best options out there IMO. He's good enough to start for this team while rebuilding. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

We also still have Jake Allen under contract and he's one of the best options out there IMO. He's good enough to start for this team while rebuilding. 

I would not be surprised if they go with three goalies at the start of next season if Price cannot be traded but is healthy. 
Allen may be traded at the deadline since he will be an expiring contract 

8 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Well, Halak will also be available ... 🤪