2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

40 minutes ago, Neech said:

I wonder if Cooley has surpassed Wright in the minds of some scouts.

There was talk of it in January, but with the way Wright played the second half of the season, I don't see it. 

Wright is number 1 with a bullet right now after going basically 1.8 PPG in the second half.

Any guess if a team will use a 1st round pick on this kid, or 2nd round is more likely due to health?

Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, Omsk (VHL): Next to impossible to assess due to his Hodgkin’s Lymphoma diagnosis. With all things being equal and based on the last assumption of when he was playing completely healthy at the U18’s, he is definitely a top 10 talent. 

42 minutes ago, DON said:

Any guess if a team will use a 1st round pick on this kid, or 2nd round is more likely due to health?

Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, Omsk (VHL): Next to impossible to assess due to his Hodgkin’s Lymphoma diagnosis. With all things being equal and based on the last assumption of when he was playing completely healthy at the U18’s, he is definitely a top 10 talent. 

Apparently a few teams met with him when they went overseas for the Under 18s (per Freidmann/Marek podcast) and he is recovering well. 

The talent is VERY HIGH. 

Its the medicals and the Russia/Ukraine situation that are big questions here.  

I have no idea where to rank him, a lot depends on those medicals and how well the chemo is working.  Its something that is almost impossible for fans to know, but NHL teams will definitely get those reports. 

10 hours ago, DON said:

Looks like #2 seems to be a consensus.  The  most nervous part of the year for me as a Habs fan will be May 10, obviously hoping for #1 but will gladly settle for #2. 

If we end up getting pick #3 it will feel a bit of a disappointment and a true lottery feel on who we end up getting and see his development over the years on if we ended up with a good choice. Slafkovsky, Nemec, Savoie will be one of our pick at #3. Let’s just damm win this lottery and go with Wright and tank one more year for the top Two picks in next years draft. 

go Habs go

🙏10🙏

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

Apparently a few teams met with him when they went overseas for the Under 18s (per Freidmann/Marek podcast) and he is recovering well. 

The talent is VERY HIGH. 

Its the medicals and the Russia/Ukraine situation that are big questions here.  

I have no idea where to rank him, a lot depends on those medicals and how well the chemo is working.  Its something that is almost impossible for fans to know, but NHL teams will definitely get those reports. 

Is he still a first round consideration or will he fall the the second round?

Maybe worth the risk if we can get him in the second or would he be worth the risk with Calgary’s pick?

42 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Is he still a first round consideration or will he fall the the second round?

Maybe worth the risk if we can get him in the second or would he be worth the risk with Calgary’s pick?

I really can't answer without the medical information that I'm not privy to.

If we take him with Calgary's pick, I'd be excited cause it would indicate that the Habs have good medical information on him. 

If he's avaialable at that pick and we dont take him, I'll have to trust that is because our medical staff isn't comfortable with it. 

Its a pretty unique situation, but its one where I just don't have enough information to really know what to do. I have to think the team will have the information needed though. 

And that's just the medicals.  We also have no idea if there is any effect of the Ukraine/Russia situation (though I'm mostly discounting this right now). 

Given the sheer quantity of picks we have had in recent years, (and already have this year and next) we might have the opportunity to take a risk here that other teams with fewer picks may be more reluctant to take. 

Its a top 10 prospect we could get at 25 (Calgary) or 33 (2nd rounder)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Given the sheer quantity of picks we have had in recent years, (and already have this year and next) we might have the opportunity to take a risk here that other teams with fewer picks may be more reluctant to take. 

Good point, if we don't trade up and have a late first and early 2nd, it's time to swing for the fences.  This draft for the Habs is about quality not quantity, would rather end up with a couple outstanding prospects than a bunch of really good ones, we already have quantity. 

Trade up or swing for the fences. 

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I really can't answer without the medical information that I'm not privy to.

If we take him with Calgary's pick, I'd be excited cause it would indicate that the Habs have good medical information on him. 

If he's avaialable at that pick and we dont take him, I'll have to trust that is because our medical staff isn't comfortable with it. 

Its a pretty unique situation, but its one where I just don't have enough information to really know what to do. I have to think the team will have the information needed though. 

And that's just the medicals.  We also have no idea if there is any effect of the Ukraine/Russia situation (though I'm mostly discounting this right now). 

Thanks for the analysis 👍

I can’t wait till the draft and although I expect offseason moves to be about 2023 picks and prospects, I wouldn’t be surprised if moves are made that effect this draft. 

May 10 is taking forever to get here

2 hours ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

If we end up getting pick #3 it will feel a bit of a disappointment and a true lottery feel on who we end up getting and see his development over the years on if we ended up with a good choice. Slafkovsky, Nemec, Savoie will be one of our pick at #3. Let’s just damm win this lottery and go with Wright and tank one more year for the top Two picks in next years draft. 

go Habs go

🙏10🙏

3rd would feel a bit like a kick in the nuts concidering the season we just endured and then losing Lafleur.

Cmon forum ghosts! We deserve 1st!

22 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Looks like #2 seems to be a consensus.  The  most nervous part of the year for me as a Habs fan will be May 10, obviously hoping for #1 but will gladly settle for #2. 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/5/6/23043836/logan-cooley-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-rankings-centre

1 hour ago, DON said:

Cooley sounds excellent and maybe a great consolation prize but I always take these write ups with a little grain of salt as there is always a question mark of how their talents will translate at the NHL level.  There were many write ups like the one below for Yakupov.  The hottest thing to come out of Russia since Ovechkin.  LOL

"Nail Yakupov is arguably the most highly skilled player available in the 2012 NHL Draft. In the 2010-2011 season, he put up outstanding numbers, recording 101 points in 65 games, and scoring nearly 50 goals for the Sarnia Sting of the OHL. This was as a rookie. Scouts are already drooling over Yakupov's skill that will surely make him a top scorer in the NHL someday. Selected 2nd overall by the Sting in the 2010 CHL Import Draft, Yakupov played along fellow rookie star Alex Galchenyuk this past season, and it will be interesting to watch the two dominate helpless defensemen during the 2011-2012 season.

Yakupov has been criticized for being a selfish player by some, but others love how he uses his teammates to score goals. “The Russian Factor” scares some NHL scouts away, but Yakupov has made it clear that he has no intentions of leaving the NHL for the KHL. Nail Yakupov is certainly one of the premier players available in the 2012 Draft, and will very likely be selected in the first three picks, barring any serious issues arising. This CHL Rookie of the Year has loads of potential, and will surely be an NHL star very soon.
Submitted by: David O'Connor

An extremely skilled winger, Yakupov is the hottest thing to come out of Russia since Alex Ovechkin and is already drawing comparisons to the superstar. He showed no signs of a tough adjustment to major junior, becoming just the fifth rookie in fifteen years to earn over 100 points. Elite skill on offense make up for some defensive shortcomings and size is a factor, though he has at least a year or more to fill out his frame and grow. All in all a possible future superstar."

With Gaucher (16), Lamoureaux (20) and Luneau (24) in the NA ranking, they have a good chance to be available at CGY's pick (25-32).  I wouldn't be surprised to see the new administration go the QC way with this pick. 

14 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

With Gaucher (16), Lamoureaux (20) and Luneau (24) in the NA ranking, they have a good chance to be available at CGY's pick (25-32).  I wouldn't be surprised to see the new administration go the QC way with this pick. 

Gaucher seemed bit lumbering player in prospects game, looked OK with a goal (i think). And that mammoth Lamoureaux is just that, but home run swing that he is better than Popovic or the like.

I would prefer take maybe, Noah Warren from the Q, x-large and seemed good defending in prospects game, big wingspan covered alot a room around the net and they say a physical specimen (6'5 214lb).

(based on very very little i have read seen heard anyways on these guys)   

Warren rose from 49- to 33

Lamoureaux fell from 15 to 20

Warren

Ranked #68 by FCHOCKEY

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... "Nail Yakupov is arguably the most highly skilled player available in the 2012 NHL Draft ... All in all a possible future superstar."

There are always the very carefully constructed qualifiers ... of course, the 2012 draft was not the most skilled in any event ... saying a player is "skilled" is not the same as predicting success ... and Yakupov was skilled, just not successful/productive.

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

It seems to me that there were also issues with development there. 

I thought Nugent-Hopkins would of developed better also.

I like Hughes comment from an article Don posted on another thread.  It is not always obvious who the BPA is especially when you are talking about 17 year olds. 

“I believe that, in a normal setting, you should go with the best player available,” said Hughes about his draft philosophy. “But, if there are similar shades of grey, then you go for the shade that the team needs the most.”

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

People forget that Yakupov had a nice rookie season before going off the rails. 

It seems to me that there were also issues with development there. 

Oilers didn’t have a complete team and were developing with a flawed mentality.  

They focused on drafting offence and insisted their defence and goaltending prospects were ready when they weren’t.  Then they just threw them to the wolves, Petry and Dubnyk are the best examples of this.  When Dubnyk was picked up by Minnesota, the first thing their goalie coach said was Dubnyk developed a lot of bad habits that needed to be broke.

11 hours ago, GHT120 said:

There are always the very carefully constructed qualifiers ... of course, the 2012 draft was not the most skilled in any event ... saying a player is "skilled" is not the same as predicting success ... and Yakupov was skilled, just not successful/productive.

True, the 2012 draft was a bad one and it's easy for me to cherry pick the ones they got wrong.  Not every 17 year old with a lot of skill is going to make it.  Hopefully the Habs get it right or wright.  Certainly Hughes and Gorton are spending a lot of time assessing who the Habs should draft.