2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

I am not following the scouting/draft-list leading to this year's draft, mostly because I understand that it is only after next year's draft that the Habs will start climbing back from the basement: I have checked out this season and I am still having trouble caring again.

If we are going to rebuild this team, that has to happen: pick top three next year too

the 2023 draft seems to be very strong:

Sorry Mr. P. but would be obvious that Habs franchise's fortunes could greatly be affected by picking Weight this year and Bedard next year and assume what some (me at least) are quietly drooling over or dreaming about. Odds are very very slim but who knows, not impossible.:pray:

• Upvote 1

I think it’s more likely that we finish somewhere 17-24 overall next year, rather than 25-32, making a top three pick unlikely. Between injury reduction, some young players and better goaltending, we’re unlikely to be as bad as this season.

Mind you, if Hugo trades away Allen and then Price goes on LTIR, I take all of that back.

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think it’s more likely that we finish somewhere 17-24 overall next year, rather than 25-32, making a top three pick unlikely. Between injury reduction, some young players and better goaltending, we’re unlikely to be as bad as this season.

Mind you, if Hugo trades away Allen and then Price goes on LTIR, I take all of that back.

OR ... if Price plays and produces the .878 Sv% he did over the five games this season ... or perhaps even with the .901 from last season or the .900 from 17/18.

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am not following the scouting/draft-list leading to this year's draft, mostly because I understand that it is only after next year's draft that the Habs will start climbing back from the basement: I have checked out this season and I am still having trouble caring again.

I have a funny feeling that you will continue to be around.

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I have a funny feeling that you will continue to be around.

funny as may be, heart is not in it anymore. I guess the "new coach bump" has worn off :P

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

funny as may be, heart is not in it anymore. I guess the "new coach bump" has worn off :P

I am actually more excited than I have been in a while because I think this management team is doing all the right things to turn this thing around. They still have a lot of work to do because of some bad contracts but I think this is going to be an exciting team to watch in the near future. 

You will be around, you will continue to be around and be a little sarcastic but you will be around because you just don't turn off being a Habs fan. It doesn't work that way. 

Didnt know was this much difference.:spamafote:

chl:

"The Canadian Hockey League announced today that 151 players have been listed in NHL Central Scouting’s Final Rankings ahead of the 2022 NHL Draft.

The total includes

62 skaters and goaltenders from the Ontario Hockey League,

53 from the Western Hockey League, and

36 from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League."

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Didnt know was this much difference.:spamafote:

chl:

"The Canadian Hockey League announced today that 151 players have been listed in NHL Central Scouting’s Final Rankings ahead of the 2022 NHL Draft.

The total includes

62 skaters and goaltenders from the Ontario Hockey League,

53 from the Western Hockey League, and

36 from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League."

PART of the difference is simply population (player pool):

Ontario 14+M

BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba 11+M

Quebec 8+M

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

PART of the difference is simply population (player pool):

Ontario 14+M

BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba 11+M

Quebec 8+M

Add the maritimes for another couple million and the Q still underperforms on draft night. Lafreniere not helping the cause.

45 minutes ago, Neech said:

Add the maritimes for another couple million and the Q still underperforms on draft night. Lafreniere not helping the cause.

I believe there are many more European players in the OHL and the WHL. That will also skew the numbers.

I may be one of few, but I get this feeling Shane Wright is going to prove a lot of people wrong. I don’t think he’s going to light it up quickly, but I have this conviction his hockey IQ is going to take him places and he’ll be an integral top line Center. To me he looks like a student of the game. I hope the Hans get him and I hope he really pans out 

Wright seems pretty safe bet to be 3rd line NHL centre, at worst. I assume is more likely he will suit up in NHL earlier than Cooley will, due to size and moreso the OHL vs NCAA route.

59 minutes ago, DON said:

Wright seems pretty safe bet to be 3rd line NHL centre, at worst. I assume is more likely he will suit up in NHL earlier than Cooley will, due to size and moreso the OHL vs NCAA route.

That’s the thing though, the bar is very low for Wright if the thought is a safe bet for 3rd line Center.

I think he may take an extra year due to losing 2020-2021, but my personal conviction is that he’ll be a top line C in 3-4 years. Could be wrong, hope I’m not!

As a side note, the funny thing is I’m starting to think Suzuki is one of his closest comparables. 

Both have been criticized as “lazy” at times, but I think it’s more about being opportunistic, and studying the game/reading the play. Like Suzuki, both are competent-above average in their raw tools, but nothing in particular is elite. The one thing they both have is their brain. 

we hold Suzuki in very high esteem, and I think Wright will be very similar. 

3 hours ago, DON said:

I'd be quite shocked if Wright wasn't in the NHL next year.  I'd be very surprised if Cooley is.

Interesting to read these lists, it seems the top 5 are pretty consistent but after that they seems to be all over the place. For example this guy has Denton Mateychuk at 26,  on some lists I have seen him top 12.  What the Habs do with Calgary's pick (go Stars) and their own 2nd will be very interesting. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/2022-nhl-draft-rankings-may-baracchini/

55 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Interesting to read these lists, it seems the top 5 are pretty consistent but after that they seems to be all over the place. For example this guy has Denton Mateychuk at 26,  on some lists I have seen him top 12.  What the Habs do with Calgary's pick (go Stars) and their own 2nd will be very interesting. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/2022-nhl-draft-rankings-may-baracchini/

I’m all for trading up to take Mateychuk if he starts slipping. 

4 hours ago, Meller93 said:

That’s the thing though, the bar is very low for Wright if the thought is a safe bet for 3rd line Center.

I kinda meant that, if he busts he will be solid NHL checker AT WORST. But, if Habs get him i expect Suzuki to have competition for #1 icetime down the road.

Someone pegged him at 20g-35pt as 18yr old rookie and seems reasonable, given Habs can easily afford him to make mistakes and learn on the job this fall.

(Wonder when Habs Mgmt will pick to announce St louis is full-time coach?)

3 hours ago, Meller93 said:

As a side note, the funny thing is I’m starting to think Suzuki is one of his closest comparables. . 

I kinda think Rick Nash watching his highlights (for no real good reason). Some youtuber compared his play to Tavares as a junior (not projection as high as Tavares, just similar play).

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, DON said:

... (Wonder when Habs Mgmt will pick to announce St louis is full-time coach?) ...

Click-bait site suggests perhaps tomorrow

On 5/6/2022 at 10:53 AM, JoeLassister said:

With Gaucher (16), Lamoureaux (20) and Luneau (24) in the NA ranking, they have a good chance to be available at CGY's pick (25-32).  I wouldn't be surprised to see the new administration go the QC way with this pick. 

I was looking at the drafts around 25th (CGY) and 33(CH) and I would be happy with two of these:

Right-Ds: Luneau, Casey, Nelson, Chesley

Centres: Gaucher, Hughes

I have not followed them and know little about them, but based on multiple lists, these players would be near the order where the Habs would pick

So, coming out of this draft, Habs should have a top-line centre (Wright) a top-4 RD and a mid-6 centre

that would plug some holes in their talent pool and three years from now would significantly improve the Habs NHL lineup.

I hope the Habs use the 3rd round picks to get some prospects or to package some of their NHL veteran players for high 2023 draft picks or prospects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

Yes, hopefully Calgary goes out in the 1st 2 rounds and then some of the other division winners falter. Go Dallas!!

56 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was looking at the drafts around 25th (CGY) and 33(CH) and I would be happy with two of these:

Right-Ds: Luneau, Casey, Nelson, Chesley

Centres: Gaucher, Hughes

I have not followed them and know little about them, but based on multiple lists, these players would be near the order where the Habs would pick

So, coming out of this draft, Habs should have a top-line centre (Wright) a top-4 RD and a mid-6 centre

that would plug some holes in their talent pool and three years from now would significantly improve the Habs NHL lineup.

I hope the Habs use the 3rd round picks to get some prospects or to package some of their NHL veteran players for high 2023 draft picks or prospects.

Those are definitely some of the names that might be available but Hughes has already said they won't draft Hughes,  that would be too awkward. 

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Those are definitely some of the names that might be available but Hughes has already said they won't draft Hughes,  that would be too awkward. 

I wonder how far he would have to drop for the value to outlay the awkwardness?