2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I wonder how far he would have to drop for the value to outlay the awkwardness?

The 8th round.

37 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

An interesting Twitter thread about the top two blueliners in the draft: https://twitter.com/byronmbader/status/1522642598338342912

That link didn't work for me, but I found the tweet ... interesting discussion

He is high on the one kid; but is Hughes?

Assume would pick a centre with a top 2 pick and if is 3rd then he may slot in as BPA.

If the Habs loose the lottery, I would trade down to pick Nemec 3rd or 4th (depending of other team's preferences)

I am not sold on Cooley, and I really want a top-4 RD in this draft. I have not seen consensus on #2 this draft, and I do not want the Habs to take chances.

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If the Habs loose the lottery, I would trade down to pick Nemec 3rd or 4th (depending of other team's preferences)

I am not sold on Cooley, and I really want a top-4 RD in this draft. I have not seen consensus on #2 this draft, and I do not want the Habs to take chances.

How much have you watched of Cooley to be "not sold" and to know that it would be taking a chance.

11 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Still would prefer a d-man late 1st or with either 2nd round pick and take a forward in top 3. But, maybe Nemec is potentially, that good, just hope Hab scouts get it right this year.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Wow, Brad Lambert at 35??  Talk about a guy whose rankings have been all over the place. 

A faller eh.

25-35 range is toss up and lots of good looking kids... just like a Fucale, Collberg, Thrower, Brook, Ikonen,  delaRose, Scherbak...:popcorn:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

How much have you watched of Cooley to be "not sold" and to know that it would be taking a chance.

Funny you ask. It is based on your scouting report on Nenec (whom you have at #3) that I checked all available rankings 

There is no consensus after Wright and of all the options I went with yours  

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/2022

That should teach me !

46 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

There is no consensus after Wright... 

Seems 99% of folks have Cooley pegged a 2nd best, dont they?

(kinda like 100% had Yakapov as best i suppose)

See what scout poll for top 5 is today.

40 minutes ago, DON said:

Seems 99% of folks have Cooley pegged a 2nd best, dont they?

(kinda like 100% had Yakapov as best i suppose)

See what scout poll for top 5 is today.

99% is being generous.

From the link, and adding Commandant's:

Consolidated: Bichesel (0)

FCHockey: Cooley (1)

McKenzie: Cooley (1)

Button: Cooley (1)

NHL EU: N/A (N/A)

Elite Prtospects: Jiricek (0)

Neutral Zone: N/A (N/A)

McKeen's: Nemec (0)

NHL NA: Cooley (1) * I'll interpret it as a yes

SportsNet: Cooley (1)

Recruit: Cooley (1)

Draft prospects: Savoie (0)

Puck Authority: Cooley (1)

Dobber: Kemell (0)

SMAHT: Lambert (0)

LWOS: Cooley (1)

percentage: 8/14 = 57%

35 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

99% is being generous.

From the link, and adding Commandant's:

Consolidated: Bichesel (0)

FCHockey: Cooley (1)

McKenzie: Cooley (1)

Button: Cooley (1)

NHL EU: N/A (N/A)

Elite Prtospects: Jiricek (0)

Neutral Zone: N/A (N/A)

McKeen's: Nemec (0)

NHL NA: Cooley (1) * I'll interpret it as a yes

SportsNet: Cooley (1)

Recruit: Cooley (1)

Draft prospects: Savoie (0)

Puck Authority: Cooley (1)

Dobber: Kemell (0)

SMAHT: Lambert (0)

LWOS: Cooley (1)

interesting list ... two comments and an aside ... (1) not all lists are created equal, so I would be curious to hear from the more expert than me which they consider the most authoritative ... (2) an unknown is when the lists were created as there could be movement up or down afterwards.

ASIDE: NHL central scouting produces four completely distinct lists, skaters and goalies for North America and Europe ...  ***if*** they were all merged into a single list, Cooley might still be #2 or might be lower if bumped down by an EU skater(s) or, theoretically, a NA or EU goalie(s).

I know zilch about prospects, but whenever I hear about an 18-year-old's two-way game and how 'responsible' he is, as opposed to how dazzling a talent he is, I get a tiny but uneasy. I'd rather have a 90-point explosive dynamo who doesn't kill penalties than a 65-point 'responsible' player. Bo Horvat is great and all, but give me Sebastien Aho.

Cooley gets raves for his off-the-chart speed and offensive dynamism. That's sounds more like it to me.

That being said, scouts know more than I do. If the Habs get Wright I will be perfectly happy and will cross my fingers that we didn't pass on a bona-fide star in order to get the 'responsible' player.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I know zilch about prospects, but whenever I hear about an 18-year-old's two-way game and how 'responsible' he is, as opposed to how dazzling a talent he is, I get a tiny but uneasy. I'd rather have a 90-point explosive dynamo who doesn't kill penalties than a 65-point 'responsible' player. Bo Horvat is great and all, but give me Sebastien Aho.

Cooley gets raves for his off-the-chart speed and offensive dynamism. That's sounds more like it to me.

That being said, scouts know more than I do. If the Habs get Wright I will be perfectly happy and will cross my fingers that we didn't pass on a bona-fide star in order to get the 'responsible' player.

Cooley also gets rave reviews for his defensive game.

And wright has scored more in tournaments when they have gone head to head.

Mackenzie quick scout poll

• "And where Kingston Frontenac centre Shane Wright got nine of 10 No. 1 votes from the scouts in our mid-season rankings in January, he got six of nine votes to remain atop the quickie poll.

Wright would appear to be staring down two legitimate threats for first overall.

Big Slovak winger Juraj Slafkovsky received two No. 1 votes today and USA Hockey National Team Development Program Under-18 team centre Logan Cooley got one.

Slafkovsky was No. 5 at mid-season but vaulted up to No. 2 on this lottery day ranking. Cooley, who was No. 2 at mid-season, is No. 3 today, but very little separates the American and Slovak forwards.

The big mover, though, is heady Slovak defenseman Simon Nemec, who was No. 9 at mid-season. He moved up to No. 4 on the strength of four of our nine scouts ranking him in their top three overall, one of them at No. 2.

Finnish winger Joakim Kemell, No. 3 on the mid-season rankings, checks in at No. 5 today.

Winnipeg Ice forward Matt Savoie, who was No. 4 on the mid-season rankings, did get a pair of top-five votes in the lottery edition poll but not enough to get by Nemec or Kemell. Czechia defender David Jiricek, No. 7 at mid-season, picked up three Top 5 votes this time. Jiricek was the closest to challenging Kemell for the No. 5 spot."

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Jughead Bob's poll, puts him at #3 and i did say "seems" like 99%.

I guess the homogenous winger is seen as pretty equal value. 6'4" 220lb is the bit worry about, size severely blinds GMs..."What if he is another Jagr!"

Same as that 6'7" d-man from the Q, if he was 6'1" 190lb he likely wouldn't be 1st round rated...just wildass guess.