2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

SHANE WRIGHT IS A HAB

I guess that will be debated for next 7 or 8 weeks.

Is he a LOCK, no matter how the others fare at the world championships? 

Guessing is pretty safe bet.

Current Habs must be pleased, unless are young centre prospect maybe.

19 minutes ago, DON said:

Current Habs must be pleased, unless are young centre prospect maybe.

The only young C prospects (with likely NHL upside) we have, either in Montreal or Laval, are Evans and Poehling. And neither one of them is really likely to be able to compete for a 1C/2C position, so not really a threat for them.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The only young C prospects (with likely NHL upside) we have, either in Montreal or Laval, are Evans and Poehling. And neither one of them is really likely to be able to compete for a 1C/2C position, so not really a threat for them.

Didnt say was a threat, was joking that a; Evans, Poehling, Kidney, Farrell, Mysak, Simoneau wouldnt be pleased...just kidding.

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Holy crap. That's crazy. So is Wright the consensus?  Can't help but feel pessimistic. I'm hoping hes better than nuge or hirchier. 

Probably too early to completely judge Hischier. Could be 70-80 point guy next season. 

But imo he’s a notch ahead of Nuge (who’s a great player). I’m big on Wright personally 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

One thing we know for sure. Shane Wright will be analyzed to death on this forum over the coming weeks.  

that would be unfair.

until he breaks camp and plays regularly in the NHL or AHL, what would be the point of scrutinizing his every move.

I wish Wright all the success in the world, and if he turns out to be a Plekanec/Koivu level 1st line centre: I will be happy

I am very convinced he will be as exiting as Caufield is when he makes the NHL and I am confident he will be an amazing centre for the Habs for many many years

Go Habs Go !!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Probably too early to completely judge Hischier. Could be 70-80 point guy next season. 

But imo he’s a notch ahead of Nuge (who’s a great player). I’m big on Wright personally 

I like Nuge. Very under rated player. Especially defensively. Just not a 1st overall player I would want.

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Shane wright #51... will be the Habs first overall pick in Montreal, 51 years after they took Guy Lafleur (#10) 1st overall...due to a lottery won on May 10th (5.10)

Woah, Nostradamus probably prophesied this 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Plus it won’t be available after the David Desharnais jersey retirement ceremony

A joint retirement with Francis Bouillon?

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Plus it won’t be available after the David Desharnais jersey retirement ceremony

Glad I have season tickets.

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The big question for me is (assuming they draft Wright). Does he stay another year in junior?   He will be 18 in training camp.  Surely there is no need to rush him like a previous high draft pick. 

It is a difficult choice as I am not convinced that another year in junior benefits him ... I expect he stays with Habs until he proves he needs to go back to the OHL ... and I am not talking about a "9 game trial" ... longer would use up a year of his ELC (I believe), but better than making premature decision.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It is a difficult choice as I am not convinced that another year in junior benefits him ... I expect he stays with Habs until he proves he needs to go back to the OHL ... and I am not talking about a "9 game trial" ... longer would use up a year of his ELC (I believe), but better than making premature decision.

He didn't dominate in junior this year. I don't see how another year in junior would hurt him.  Keeping him before he is ready can hurt his confidence AND burn a year of his ELC. 

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Shane wright #51... will be the Habs first overall pick in Montreal, 51 years after they took Guy Lafleur (#10) 1st overall...due to a lottery won on May 10th (5.10)

They did take Wickeneiser 1st overall in 1980, and watched Savard excel after falling to 3rd. A lot of what you read about Wright vs Cooley, is very similar to Wickeneiser vs Savard, I’m terms of Cooley, and a Savard being the more dynamic players.  Although Cooley seems to be better defensively than Savard was.

16 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The big question for me is (assuming they draft Wright). Does he stay another year in junior?   He will be 18 in training camp.  Surely there is no need to rush him like a previous high draft pick. 

I think he would have to have a really crappy camp to not start. That’s one thing I hate about the CHL rule, where you can’t send a player to thr AHL. I think unless you are a Crosby/McDavid type player, an 18 year old too good for the CHL, should be able to go to the AHL. That’s one think I do like about drafting college players. Guys like Kariya and Makar, who would never have gone back for another year in Junior, got to go to college, get stronger, have more development time, and than break move up to the NHL.

11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think he would have to have a really crappy camp to not start. That’s one thing I hate about the CHL rule, where you can’t send a player to thr AHL. I think unless you are a Crosby/McDavid type player, an 18 year old too good for the CHL, should be able to go to the AHL. That’s one think I do like about drafting college players. Guys like Kariya and Makar, who would never have gone back for another year in Junior, got to go to college, get stronger, have more development time, and than break move up to the NHL.

I agree but I don't see the evidence yet where Wright is too good for the CHL. I hope he becomes too good for the CHL at some point. 

14 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They did take Wickeneiser 1st overall in 1980, and watched Savard excel after falling to 3rd. A lot of what you read about Wright vs Cooley, is very similar to Wickeneiser vs Savard, I’m terms of Cooley, and a Savard being the more dynamic players.  Although Cooley seems to be better defensively than Savard was.

The depth of the scouting process has changes significantly since 1980 ... I expect HuGo et al will know more about Wright and Cooley than the Habs of the day (under the leadership of the legendary Irving Grundman) did about Wickenheiser or Savard ... one thing I recall being a big point for Wickenheiser (pun intended) is that, by the standards of the day, he was supposed to be a BIG, physically dominant centre ... Wright is bigger than Cooley but Shane is only average, or perhaps slightly below average, in terms of NHL size

Interesting comments from a scout, long interview, loves Geekie, would take him at #1,  thinks Lambert could drop to the 2nd round. Long interview, can miss the first 10-15 minutes. Not crazy about Wright. Just 1 scouts opinion. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxJtzBxdGIM

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You give him 9 games and see where to go after that.