2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They did take Wickeneiser 1st overall in 1980, and watched Savard excel after falling to 3rd. A lot of what you read about Wright vs Cooley, is very similar to Wickeneiser vs Savard, I’m terms of Cooley, and a Savard being the more dynamic players.  Although Cooley seems to be better defensively than Savard was.

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME PLAYERS

Just because something happened 40 years ago, does not make this the same today. 

The league and sport have changed a lot.  

To me, Wickenheiser and Savard arent even considerations. 

You could make the same argument (only it wasn't Habs) with Matt Duchene (Savard) and John Tavares (Wickenheiser) or with a number of others.  But they are still irrelevant. 

you have to watch the two players and not just read about them and treat them as individual prospects not their comparables. 

48 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree but I don't see the evidence yet where Wright is too good for the CHL. I hope he becomes too good for the CHL at some point. 

He scored 1.8 PPG down the stretch along with being dominant defensively. 

Overall he had 94 points. 

He had more points than any player who missed the full season last year.  The only players who beat him were Savoie (played USHL for the full season) and guys who were NHL draft picks previously (and played in the AHL during COVID). 

Wright had a slow start (which is to be expected as he had 400 days between OHL games and played a mere 5 games in 2020-21 at the U18s), and then dominated once he got going.  His defensive game is extremely advanced for his age as well. 

I'd definitely give him camp and his 9 games and he proves he belongs in the top 9, then I'd keep him.  If not, send him back. 

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He had more points than any player who missed the full season last year.  The only players who beat him were Savoie (played USHL for the full season) and guys who were NHL draft picks previously (and played in the AHL during COVID). 

Wright had a slow start (which is to be expected as he had 400 days between OHL games and played a mere 5 games in 2020-21 at the U18s), and then dominated once he got going.  His defensive game is extremely advanced for his age as well. 

I'd definitely give him camp and his 9 games and he proves he belongs in the top 9, then I'd keep him.  If not, send him back. 

does Wright make Poehling expendable ? for example at the trade deadline (expiring contract) or in a package for a contract dump (Gallagher or Petry)?

29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think your points also illustrate why another year in junior would be good. He did miss a full season and he is only 18. I think keeping him in the NHL next year would not be good for his development. 

But they haven't even drafted him yet. So maybe this discussion is for nothing. LOL

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

does Wright make Poehling expendable ? for example at the trade deadline (expiring contract) or in a package for a contract dump (Gallagher or Petry)?

I see Wright and Poehling having completely different roles and expectations so I don't think one has an effect on the other. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I see Wright and Poehling having completely different roles and expectations so I don't think one has an effect on the other. 

the totem poll pushes one out:

Suzuki-Dvorak-Wright-Evans

later:

Wright-Suzuki-Evans- (Vejdemo/Schnarr/Dauphin/Kidney/Kapanen/Hillis)

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think your points also illustrate why another year in junior would be good. He did miss a full season and he is only 18. I think keeping him in the NHL next year would not be good for his development. 

But they haven't even drafted him yet. So maybe this discussion is for nothing. LOL

I can see Wright starting in Laval and finishing in Montreal after the trade deadline. Then going back to win the Calder cup with the Rocket

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Poehling made Poehling expendable.  The more he plays the lower his value will go.  Move him now while he still has some shine from the former first rounder label. 

I don't believe in him. 

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I can see Wright starting in Laval and finishing in Montreal after the trade deadline. Then going back to win the Calder cup with the Rocket

He can't start in Laval.  He has to be NHL or OHL. 

He can only play in Laval after his OHL team's season is over. 

Also once returned to the OHL, he can't come back to Montreal unless there is a roster emergency (less than 12 healthy forwards available) or his team is eliminated. 

This is why I give him the 9 games and then decide.  

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He can't start in Laval.  He has to be NHL or OHL. 

He can only play in Laval after his OHL team's season is over. 

Also once returned to the OHL, he can't come back to Montreal unless there is a roster emergency (less than 12 healthy forwards available) or his team is eliminated. 

This is why I give him the 9 games and then decide.  

thanks!

then that sounds like a good plan

9 NHL games, then OHL and later come back to Laval to win the Calder

52 minutes ago, Commandant said:

To me, Wickenheiser and Savard arent even considerations. 

You could make the same argument (only it wasn't Habs) with Matt Duchene (Savard) and John Tavares (Wickenheiser) or with a number of others.  But they are still irrelevant. 

Glad you brought up Tavares' name.

Is John Tavares a good projection for Shane Wright ?   Good 2Way, ~PPG player with great attitude and maturity ? 

20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

the totem poll pushes one out:

Suzuki-Dvorak-Wright-Evans

later:

Wright-Suzuki-Evans- (Vejdemo/Schnarr/Dauphin/Kidney/Kapanen/Hillis)

That's true, Dvorak could be pushed to #3, Evans to #4 and maybe Poehling out in a trade or to the wing. 

11 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Glad you brought up Tavares' name.

Is John Tavares a good projection for Shane Wright ?   Good 2Way, ~PPG player with great attitude and maturity ? 

I hate doing projections and comparing a player to others in terms of production.  I usually do it stylistically. 

That said stylistically John Tavares (offensive zone) and Phil Danault (defensive zone) is an excellent comparison for Wright. 

I also think that Wright's ceiling, which he's not guaranteed to reach of course, offensively would be a Tavares, yes. 

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

thanks!

then that sounds like a good plan

9 NHL games, then OHL and later come back to Laval to win the Calder

My plan is 9 NHL games.... and then EVALUATE if he's ready for the NHL or not.  Its not surefire to send him back to the OHL. 

If he looks like he belongs in the NHL you can have him on the roster up to 41 games and not give him an accrued year towards free agency/offer sheets/arbitration.... though he'd burn a year on the ELC. 

So you evaluate at each of those points... after training camp, after 9 games, after 41 games.  And if he shows he belongs in the NHL at all points, he stays in the NHL.  If he is struggling, he goes down. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

My plan is 9 NHL games.... and then EVALUATE if he's ready for the NHL or not.  Its not surefire to send him back to the OHL. 

If he looks like he belongs in the NHL you can have him on the roster up to 41 games and not give him an accrued year towards free agency/offer sheets/arbitration.... though he'd burn a year on the ELC. 

So you evaluate at each of those points... after training camp, after 9 games, after 41 games.  And if he shows he belongs in the NHL at all points, he stays in the NHL.  If he is struggling, he goes down. 

please, no coronation or rushing prospects :pray:

It’s funny how traumatized we all are as Habs fans by past failures. The discussion here is really showing this.

First, we were all terrified we’d pick at #3 - which, by a further chain of inferences, we assumed would probably be a bust, due to our history of picking at #3.

Then, we are terrified that Wright will become Dough Wickenheiser, because the last time we drafted a dominant 2-way C at #1 overall he was a bust.

Then, we are terrified that if the Habs leave him in the NHL after 9 games, we will be rushing his development, just like we did with Galy and a few others.

Commandant is entirely correct, of course, that whatever happened with past players is completely immaterial to what happens with this one. It’s like a roulette wheel, where the previous spin has zero bearing on the probabilities for what will come up on the subsequent spin - but as a gambler you just can’t help making connections and assuming continuities.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s funny how traumatized we all are as Habs fans by past failures. The discussion here is really showing this.

First, we were all terrified we’d pick at #3 - which, by a further chain of inferences, we assumed would probably be a bust, due to our history of picking at #3.

Then, we are terrified that Wright will become Dough Wickenheiser, because the last time we drafted a dominant 2-way C at #1 overall he was a bust.

Then, we are terrified that if the Habs leave him in the NHL after 9 games, we will be rushing his development, just like we did with Galy and a few others.

Commandant is entirely correct, of course, that whatever happened with past players is completely immaterial to what happens with this one. It’s like a roulette wheel, where the previous spin has zero bearing on the probabilities for what will come up on the subsequent spin - but as a gambler you just can’t help making connections and assuming continuities.

I think only a couple on  this board were worried about picking #3 and our pick being  another Wickenheiser.   Perhaps a couple more (me included) are a little worried about rushing his development AND burning a year on his ELC. 

Commandant is correct, what happened before has no bearing on what will happen now. Plus we have a different team in place. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think only a couple on  this board were worried about picking #3 and our pick being  another Wickenheiser.   Perhaps a couple more (me included) are a little worried about rushing his development AND burning a year on his ELC. 

Commandant is correct, what happened before has no bearing on what will happen now. Plus we have a different team in place. 

I’m not excluding myself from this traumatized paranoia…I was certain we’d pick at #3, LOL

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

please, no coronation or rushing prospects :pray:

No forward picked first overall has not spent the following season in the NHL in over two decades. 

For defencemen, its only two... Owen Power and Erik Johnson. 

Of course, again.... evaluate Wright on his own and whether we think he's ready based on his own performance in training camp. 

I'm not suggesting he be rushed, I'm suggesting he be evaluated on his own. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m not making the comparison between Wright and Wickeneiser because they are both from the last time we drafted first. 

I was  making a he comparison from the point of view that Savard was supposed he more flashy player. Form the clips I’ve seen of Cooley and Wright, Cooley looks to be the more flashier, faster, and dynamic  player based on his player, but is a little bit of a smaller player (though not as small as Savard was compared to Wickeneiser). We seem to have leaned towards going for the more complete player, than someone more skilled during the past 40 years. Having said that, I haven’t seen either play live, just clips. Hell, we haven’t had a 100 point guy since Naslund - and I think he only did it once in his career.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

No forward picked first overall has not spent the following season in the NHL in over two decades. 

For defencemen, its only two... Owen Power and Erik Johnson. 

Of course, again.... evaluate Wright on his own and whether we think he's ready based on his own performance in training camp. 

I'm not suggesting he be rushed, I'm suggesting he be evaluated on his own. 

I agree with that approach. I think with Wright, that is the only option available, whereas, Cooley is heading to college for at least a year.

I really thought that the Bruins shouldn’t have had Joe Thornton in the NHL in his rookie year, but he was too big and dominant in the OHL, and there isn’t the option of sending a player to AHL. The move didn’t ruin Thornton. But with our development history (which hopefully will improve under new management), and impact on free agency, I wouldn’t want to take more than 20-30 games to give him his 9 game look. He needs to be playing at his age.

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They did take Wickeneiser 1st overall in 1980, and watched Savard excel after falling to 3rd. A lot of what you read about Wright vs Cooley, is very similar to Wickeneiser vs Savard, I’m terms of Cooley, and a Savard being the more dynamic players.  Although Cooley seems to be better defensively than Savard was.

that's 42 years ago!

there have been three generations of players in between drafts, rules changes, off-season training changes, skills development changes, scouting changes... gosh, the internet was not invented yet in 1980!

that being said, I trust all the scouts, analysts and media in coming to a consensus that Wright is the undisputed #1 prospect this year. He may be a Wickeneiser, but that would also mean that the rest of the draft is also crappy

For myself, I hope the Habs tank next season and that they plan to pick first again. That, to me, is the only way how this last season can be reasoned and accepted.

While I've shared a concern, or unease, that the preference for Wright over Cooley might be all-too-typical NHL ideology whereby "completeness" trumps explosiveness and dynamism - that we might be getting a real good two-way player (Wright) and passing on a true star (Cooley) - I think we do have to give HughGort the benefit of the doubt. They will study their options every which way and make the decision, and we have to trust that they won't cock it up. Just because 1980 was a disaster, and just because our other "tank" drafts have been disasters, it doesn't follow that this one will be. New management = new hope.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

While I've shared a concern, or unease, that the preference for Wright over Cooley might be all-too-typical NHL ideology whereby "completeness" trumps explosiveness and dynamism - that we might be getting a real good two-way player (Wright) and passing on a true star (Cooley) - I think we do have to give HughGort the benefit of the doubt. They will study their options every which way and make the decision, and we have to trust that they won't cock it up. Just because 1980 was a disaster, and just because our other "tank" drafts have been disasters, it doesn't follow that this one will be. New management = new hope.

Sad part is that 1971 and 1980 weren’t tank drafts. They were a result of brilliant maneuvering by Pollack. Too bad Grundman fxcked up the 1980 pick when he took over the GM role.