2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

For all the talk of Cooley's explosiveness, at the same age Caufield had 1.04g/gm while this season Cooley had .54g/gm ... albeit on a weaker team ... back in 2015/16, a year younger and on a far worse team, Clayton Keller had the same the same stats as Cooley this season.

20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

unless the Sith are out to get you

giphy.gif

Brilliant

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

May the 4th was last week, boys ... 

LOL

Technically that was for THE FORCE ... not the Sith

It is possible he is just be well coached by his agents' PR staff but nice to hear

7 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He didn't dominate in junior this year. I don't see how another year in junior would hurt him.  Keeping him before he is ready can hurt his confidence AND burn a year of his ELC. 

He was a top-ten scorer in a top junior league while being younger than about two-thirds of the players in that league.  If that's not dominating, that's really close.

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

does Wright make Poehling expendable ? for example at the trade deadline (expiring contract) or in a package for a contract dump (Gallagher or Petry)?

I'd say Poehling makes Poehling expendable.  To this point of his career, his ceiling is that of a fourth liner.  If St. Louis isn't a fan of him, he'll be flipped for a third-round pick (or maybe a fourth, his value has really plummeted).  Poehling has no bearing on who they'll consider here as he's a dime-a-dozen depth guy, not a part of Montreal's future plans.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

No forward picked first overall has not spent the following season in the NHL in over two decades. 

I am sure that is true. But I think in almost all those cases the team drafting 1st was desperate. Are the Habs desperate or in a hurry? 

Not being negative, would love Wright to be good enough to stick.  He does seem like a pretty mature kid.  Certainly more mature than KK at the same age. 

54 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

... I'd say Poehling makes Poehling expendable.  To this point of his career, his ceiling is that of a fourth liner.  If St. Louis isn't a fan of him, he'll be flipped for a third-round pick (or maybe a fourth, his value has really plummeted).  Poehling has no bearing on who they'll consider here as he's a dime-a-dozen depth guy, not a part of Montreal's future plans.

👍

I definitely believe in this regime's ability to assess and handle young talent more than the last. That said, giving Wright more time to marinate in the minors and sliding his ELC wouldn't hurt IMO. And then when we draft Berard next year they can both come up at the same time and take the pressure off each other.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He was a top-ten scorer in a top junior league while being younger than about two-thirds of the players in that league.  If that's not dominating, that's really close.

On top of this already being true, there are just so many other factors that make me bullish about Wright.

1) He missed an entire year of development last year and still performed at this level.

2) I read a quote from his coach that to start the year (perhaps 10-15 games) he played with younger guys getting their feet wet, like Matthew Soto and Paul Ludwinski. This contributed to his slow start, but he was also a great sport about it and “put his work boots on”.

3) He ended the year strong once he got his feet under him after a full year off.

4) His focus on the defensive game likely won his team a lot of games, but it also might have hindered his production by 10ish points. Instead of being greedy, he played the (ahem) Wright way.

I’ve said it before, but I think Wright will prove the doubters wrong quickly 

Just now, Meller93 said:

On top of this already being true, there are just so many other factors that make me bullish about Wright.

1) He missed an entire year of development last year and still performed at this level.

2) I read a quote from his coach that to start the year (perhaps 10-15 games) he played with younger guys getting their feet wet, like Matthew Soto and Paul Ludwinski. This contributed to his slow start, but he was also a great sport about it and “put his work boots on”.

3) He ended the year strong once he got his feet under him after a full year off.

4) His focus on the defensive game likely won his team a lot of games, but it also might have hindered his production by 10ish points. Instead of being greedy, he played the (ahem) Wright way.

I’ve said it before, but I think Wright will prove the doubters wrong quickly 

Hope so, and I don’t consider myself a doubter. Just someone whose seek more habs live up to expectations, than actually achieve them during the past 25-30 years.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Hope so, and I don’t consider myself a doubter. Just someone whose seek more habs live up to expectations, than actually achieve them during the past 25-30 years.

This is sadly very true too. I remember beyond way overhyped when Chris Higgins and Kyle Chipchura were coming through. In fact Poehling is startlingly similar to Chipchura lol.

Still, I’m very high on Wright. To be clear though, I view him as a 70-80 point guy in the future. I just think his complete game will make him very well regarded 

56 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Still, I’m very high on Wright. To be clear though, I view him as a 70-80 point guy in the future.

But Cooley did score a nice 'lacrosse' style goal at world juniors (or U18s?). Pretty skilled kid.

15 minutes ago, DON said:

But Cooley did score a nice 'lacrosse' style goal at world juniors (or U18s?). Pretty skilled kid.

I like Cooley too, woulda been happy if we dropped and ended up with him. I just think Wright’s a no brainer 

5 hours ago, Meller93 said:

I like Cooley too, woulda been happy if we dropped and ended up with him. I just think Wright’s a no brainer 

Yes if dropped to 2, Cooley would be the logical choice.

At 1, the pick is Wright.

( No pun intended )

Although his goals are less than when he was 16.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=227271

Covid has impacted development of prospects during this time, we simply lack of playing. In essence losing a full year development.

When one sees a drop in statistical evidence at times , many times, it's a red flag 

But in this situation , Wright is the safe pick, as many are in same situation. His evidence statistically in latter half of season showing he is picking up and improving.

I am assuming this trajectory will continue.

Habs pick him, give him 9 games , and evaluate. And if need be have him go back to junior.

This is not a Yakupov situation or other 1 overall busts 

But that is wild card here is the development timing during covid, only time will tell. But same can be said for Cooley also:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=238269

Not a dramatic improvement from previous year either 

So yes, the pick is Shane Wright , all factors considered 

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

So did Granlund. A nice skill, but it doesn’t make him an elite player.

Not sure why you dont think the kid will turn out well. Others are leaning other side of spectrum and peg him at potential franchise player, given his very high skill set. Unlike solid 2 way complete centre Wright, so Cooley seems bit more risky pick i guess and most scouts still in favour of Wright..

We shall see over next several seasons which GM wins out.:tumbleweed:

CS:

"The margin between the two top North American prospects [Wright and Cooley] got narrower as the season progressed, but much the same as it has been all season long, the edge goes to Shane Wright for our final ranking," Director of NHL Central Scouting Dan Marr said. "Both prospects possess NHL qualities and both utilize their skills and assets within their own style of play. There is a completeness about Shane's game to which he has the innate ability to rise to the level of play required to get results, whether it's with his speed, his exceptionally quick hockey wits or just competing with a never-give-up approach."

How many spots would trading Flame & Pick #33 move the Habs, if was d-man worth it. 28th to maybe 22-23? Or less than that?

5 hours ago, HabsWEST said:

... Although his goals are less than when he was 16.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=227271 ...

In his first year the Frontenacs were the second worst team in the league (out of 20) ... this year they were fifth best team ... different contexts and different roles ... as a rookie he was the entire show, no expectations to win so I expect he was encouraged to "put on a show" ... this past season they were a legit playoff team (3rd in their conference) and playing to win games not "score style points".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

Not sure why you dont think the kid will turn out well.

I didn't say that. Just that the lacrosse goal doesn't prove that he should be the top pick. :)

• Like 1

I take exception to the idea that Cooley is more skilled.  I don't see that at all.  There has been a tendency to downplay the skill level of a guy who had more PPG as a 15 year old than both Tavares and McDavid had in the same league at the same age. 

We are also forgetting that he scored more points than any CHL player who didn't play hockey in 2020-21.  Those who had more than him were all in the AHL or USHL.  Wright started slowly, but there was no one better in the second half of the season. 

Is he very advanced defensively? Yes.

But people are using this and assuming he doesn't have offensive skill.  That's just not true. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wright is the Best Available Player at #1

Period

—-

can we look at the other potential draftees ? #25 , #33 , etc

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

can we look at the other potential draftees ? #25 , #33 , etc

Agree. I think those picks will be very interesting. I think 25 will be more like 30 or 31 if the Flames survive Dallas as they will likely make the final four but there could be some real gems available then. 

Also starting to look like they will get the Oilers 2nd pick this year. 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

I take exception to the idea that Cooley is more skilled.  I don't see that at all.  There has been a tendency to downplay the skill level of a guy who had more PPG as a 15 year old than both Tavares and McDavid had in the same league at the same age. 

We are also forgetting that he scored more points than any CHL player who didn't play hockey in 2020-21.  Those who had more than him were all in the AHL or USHL.  Wright started slowly, but there was no one better in the second half of the season. 

Is he very advanced defensively? Yes.

But people are using this and assuming he doesn't have offensive skill.  That's just not true. 

My thoughts exactly 👍🏻