2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

I take exception to the idea that Cooley is more skilled.  I don't see that at all.  There has been a tendency to downplay the skill level of a guy who had more PPG as a 15 year old than both Tavares and McDavid had in the same league at the same age. 

We are also forgetting that he scored more points than any CHL player who didn't play hockey in 2020-21.  Those who had more than him were all in the AHL or USHL.  Wright started slowly, but there was no one better in the second half of the season. 

Is he very advanced defensively? Yes.

But people are using this and assuming he doesn't have offensive skill.  That's just not true. 

We are all hoping Wright turns out to be a heck of a player (assuming the Habs draft him).  Plus he really wants to be drafted by Montreal which is nice to see.  There certainly seems to be no maturity issues with him. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Wright is the Best Available Player at #1

Period

—-

can we look at the other potential draftees ? #25 , #33 , etc

Given the number of prospects we have, the number of picks this year and next year too... I'd love to take Miroschenko at 25 or 33.  Its worth taking a gamble on a top 5 talent in the draft, cause even if he's not the same after his cancer and its a miss, you can afford a miss.  I'd like to swing for a homerun instead of taking another middle 6 type player. 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Given the number of prospects we have, the number of picks this year and next year too... I'd love to take Miroschenko at 25 or 33.  Its worth taking a gamble on a top 5 talent in the draft, cause even if he's not the same after his cancer and its a miss, you can afford a miss.  I'd like to swing for a homerun instead of taking another middle 6 type player. 

Isn’t the player who was diagnosed with cancer?

After  Geofrion  Bozon, Juulsen , I am done with the Habs playing mother Theresa

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Isn’t the player who was diagnosed with cancer?

After  Geofrion  Bozon, Juulsen , I am done with the Habs playing mother Theresa

Yes, and apparently is in remission. 

Plenty of players have had good careers after being diagnosed with cancer, Koivu, Lemieux, Blake, Kessel, Lindblom, Boyle. 

Id rather gamble for the home run late in the first round than hit another single.

And not one of Geoffrion, Bozon or Juulsen had issues when the Habs acquired them, they all came after.  In this instance you are getting a top prospect at a major discount. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 1:31 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

the totem poll pushes one out:

Suzuki-Dvorak-Wright-Evans

later:

Wright-Suzuki-Evans- (Vejdemo/Schnarr/Dauphin/Kidney/Kapanen/Hillis)

Wright is Right! No hesitation.... pull the trigger. He is a stud. Let him play 9 NHL games next year and then go to OHL/AHL for the rest of the year and he'll be ready in 2023-24.

You can roll with ?-Suzuki-Caufield with Roy-Wright-Ylonen and even throw in an Poehling-Evans-? and maybe Farrell-Kidney-? and your four lines are pretty set for years. Crazy not to do that when combined with the young defensive talent in Romanov, Barron, Harris, Guhle, Norlander, Xhekaj, Struble, and Mailloux marinating. A nice Goalie room, too. And much more talent on the way. Now bloody develop them! Come on Man...

1 hour ago, Longstreet said:

Wright is Right! No hesitation.... pull the trigger. He is a stud. Let him play 9 NHL games next year and then go to OHL/AHL for the rest of the year and he'll be ready in 2023-24.

You can roll with ?-Suzuki-Caufield with Roy-Wright-Ylonen and even throw in an Poehling-Evans-? and maybe Farrell-Kidney-? and your four lines are pretty set for years. Crazy not to do that when combined with the young defensive talent in Romanov, Barron, Harris, Guhle, Norlander, Xhekaj, Struble, and Mailloux marinating. A nice Goalie room, too. And much more talent on the way. Now bloody develop them! Come on Man...

Habs are still missing one more elite forward, a stud #1 D and an NHL starting goaltender

I hope they pick two top D prospects with pick #25 and #33 and that they tank in 2022-23 to pick in the top 10 and get an elite forward next year

There is always the UFA market for forwards, once the team is ready with just a missing piece or two. Theoretically that's someone along the lines of Hoffman, although that particular signing has not worked out as well as hoped for.

The goalie situation is, sadly, our critical point now, not long after a rather successful goalie tandem in 2020-21. And I expect that Hugo won't have the answer on Price before free agency opens, with the result that we won't be able to sign anyone as #1A.

I find that "not having the answer on Price this summer" is a cop out. Hugh-Gort were hired to make decisions and a decision has to be made for the club this summer: drafting strategy, UFA/RFA signings and departures, trades, cap management.

They said that they would have more details this summer and I expect that.

I expect the goalie situation to be clear by training camp, or I will be very disappointed by Hugh-Gort

37 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I find that "not having the answer on Price this summer" is a cop out ...

Could you clarify what you mean ... are you referring to HuGo not knowing what Price's plans are for next season ... or ... HuGo not making roster moves based on what they do know (whether we do or not)?

Part of Price not wanting to be a burden is IMO that in the next few weeks Carey intends to let HuGo know what his plans are ... some answers may still leave the Habs with uncertainties (e.g., if he chooses to have surgery hoping to play next season, it doesn't necessarily mean things will go any better than it did last season).

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I expect the goalie situation to be clear by training camp, or I will be very disappointed by Hugh-Gort

So, they should just decide that Price's knee is good, and that he will be the #1 again, come hell or high water?

Or they should decide that Price is done, and trade for another goalie, whether Price's contract will count against the cap or not?

Seriously, this is a medical question, and outside the team's control. Hugo needs to make a decision on how to deal with this unknown and how to minimize the risk, but the options will surely be very limited.

• Upvote 1

Nice to have the first overall pick!

Consensus that Wright is the best avaiable player. From what I’ve seen, he would be a perfect fit. Allready imagine Wright with Caufield!

21 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

So, they should just decide that Price's knee is good, and that he will be the #1 again, come hell or high water?

Or they should decide that Price is done, and trade for another goalie, whether Price's contract will count against the cap or not?

Seriously, this is a medical question, and outside the team's control. Hugo needs to make a decision on how to deal with this unknown and how to minimize the risk, but the options will surely be very limited.

they have sufficient information now: Price himself, after rehab and multiple medical exams, has said that he cannot paly in 60 games anymore.

A business decision needs to be made to carry three goalies ($50gm,20gm, 12gm), reverse Allen's role to #1 (62 games) and Price to #2 (20 games) or trade Price at a loss for cap reasons

If they do not make a decision, I will be disappointed by their lack of business acumen

They'll have a decision, sure. But whether that's a decision to stay with status quo (Price+Allen if Price is healthy, Allen+Montembeault otherwise) or to do something else, it's still a decision.

Trading Price is neither easy, not can it be done without his agreement. And none of our goalie prospects are ready at the moment; some of them may yet make it to the NHL, but certainly not for next season.

But if you're looking for a top draft pick for next year, you might consider that to be good news anyway.

39 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

they have sufficient information now: Price himself, after rehab and multiple medical exams, has said that he cannot paly in 60 games anymore.

A business decision needs to be made to carry three goalies ($50gm,20gm, 12gm), reverse Allen's role to #1 (62 games) and Price to #2 (20 games) or trade Price at a loss for cap reasons

If they do not make a decision, I will be disappointed by their lack of business acumen

No, they don't have sufficient information now.  Does Price need more surgery?  I don't think anyone knows that yet. 

Price is a big question mark right now and he will likely be a big question mark for a while. That is unfortunate but that is the way it is.  

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I find that "not having the answer on Price this summer" is a cop out. Hugh-Gort were hired to make decisions and a decision has to be made for the club this summer: drafting strategy, UFA/RFA signings and departures, trades, cap management.

They said that they would have more details this summer and I expect that.

So are they supposed to dictate to price that he must retire, agree to be traded, ensure he is definitely going to be eligible for LTIR for the whole year, or guarantee that he can play at least 60 games next year🙄

Until such time as Price has played at least 25 games on a regular rotation, stayed healthy doing so, AND produced above average numbers IMO he is for all intents and purposes impossible to trade ... even thereafter with his contract and NTC it would be difficult.

I am not talking about a coaching decision of how to play him, or a medical decision of how healthy he may be.

I am talking about a business decision where the risk posed by Price's health creates too much uncertainty affecting too many other decisions that must be taken by the beginning of next season.

Not making the business decision is poor management.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

So they are supposed to trade a guy with a full NTC/NMC clause and is untradable be user of the amount and years remaining in his contract.

hell they can’t even buy him out if they wanted (which would be a horrible move given the long term cap hits), because of the medical uncertainty.

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am not talking about a coaching decision of how to play him, or a medical decision of how healthy he may be.

I am talking about a business decision where the risk posed by Price's health creates too much uncertainty affecting too many other decisions that must be taken by the beginning of next season.

Not making the business decision is poor management.

They can’t make any decisions because of the medical uncertainty, and Price controlling hat he is willing to agree to.

they could sign a top goalie at $5m a year, but if price is deemed healthy by the league, they are spending $15.5m on  goalies - assuming they can move Allen.

Like the conversations with Fleury when he has been moved, Luongo and Lundqvist when they "retired"

a business-based conversation has to be had with Price. I seems pretty obvious given the new direction the team is taking.

Price has said, with the way his knee was at the end of the season he couldn't play 60 games. 

He also said, that could mean more surgery, or more rest for 3-4 months and things might be different then. 

So NO, they don't have the answer. 

And NO, they can't force him to do anything. 

I know you have been criticizing management for every single thing they have done, but really, you have to bring actual facts to the argument....   They should do x, when x is only possible if they get agreement of someone else (Price, another team, etc...) isn't that great of an argument if they aren't able to actually do it. 

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Price has said, with the way his knee was at the end of the season he couldn't play 60 games. 

He also said, that could mean more surgery, or more rest for 3-4 months and things might be different then. 

So NO, they don't have the answer. 

And NO, they can't force him to do anything. 

I know you have been criticizing management for every single thing they have done, but really, you have to bring actual facts to the argument....   They should do x, when x is only possible if they get agreement of someone else (Price, another team, etc...) isn't that great of an argument if they aren't able to actually do it. 

I didn't criticize, I just wrote that I would be disappointed...  what's so bad about that.