2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Habs are still missing one more elite forward, a stud #1 D and an NHL starting goaltender

I hope they pick two top D prospects with pick #25 and #33 and that they tank in 2022-23 to pick in the top 10 and get an elite forward next year

You're not getting a stud #1D with picks 25 and 33.  You're getting more guys like Struble, Mailloux, etc, players that have upside but flaws as well.  I'm not saying don't take a D but you're going to be adding more of what you already have, not upgrading on the existing prospect pool.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

they have sufficient information now: Price himself, after rehab and multiple medical exams, has said that he cannot paly in 60 games anymore.

A business decision needs to be made to carry three goalies ($50gm,20gm, 12gm), reverse Allen's role to #1 (62 games) and Price to #2 (20 games) or trade Price at a loss for cap reasons

If they do not make a decision, I will be disappointed by their lack of business acumen

You mention trade Price at a loss for cap reasons.  Who in their right mind would trade for Price right now, even at max 50% retention?  Notwithstanding the fact Price can veto any trade, there isn't a single NHL team that would take Price on for four years at $5.75M with his current injury situation. 

Business acumen or not, there isn't a single GM that could trade Price right now unless you're attaching multiple unprotected first round picks and top prospects and that wouldn't be smart from Montreal's end.  Trying to offload salary to carry three goalies is a potential option but a trade simply isn't happening.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Business acumen or not, there isn't a single GM that could trade Price right now unless you're attaching multiple unprotected first round picks and top prospects and that wouldn't be smart from Montreal's end.  Trying to offload salary to carry three goalies is a potential option but a trade simply isn't happening.

me too, I think that carrying three goalies is a plausible solution, and I would not be surprised that the Habs start the season without any changes to their goaltenders.

I still expect a plan to be laid out on Price's future with the organization with some key milestones identified before the start of the season. It would be madness to go into the season on wait-and-see mode. That would not be a plan, that would be tempting fate

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Like the conversations with Fleury when he has been moved, Luongo and Lundqvist when they "retired"

a business-based conversation has to be had with Price. I seems pretty obvious given the new direction the team is taking.

Fleury wasn’t injured and agreed to the moves. Lundquist was bought out and didn’t have as much term and dollars as Price does. We’d be crippled for years buying him out.  Price probably isn’t walking away from around $40m to retire. No team is going to trade for him with his injury and contract - unless he come back and shows he is still healthy AND elite.

56 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

me too, I think that carrying three goalies is a plausible solution, and I would not be surprised that the Habs start the season without any changes to their goaltenders.

I still expect a plan to be laid out on Price's future with the organization with some key milestones identified before the start of the season. It would be madness to go into the season on wait-and-see mode. That would not be a plan, that would be tempting fate

Milestones are going to depend on timelines based on decisions by medical professionals on Price’s future - or by Price deciding to walk away from $40m - possible, but highly unlikely.

let’s say they sign it trade for a goalie that costs $3m. They will be spending around $16m if in October, Doctors say price can play, or may not have cap room if Price can’t start the season but is able to return in December or January. 

for someone who pretty much gave DD a pass for a crap job, you have pretty unrealistic expectations on what is possible for habs management to do I. price’s situation. Hell, if they move Wber, that is a positive, unlike the previous GM who said that Weber will never play again, but Weber is still the captain 🙄. I get not naming a new captain, if no one is ready, but to say a guy who is any around the team is still captain was ludicrous.

16 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Fleury wasn’t injured and agreed to the moves. Lundquist was bought out and didn’t have as much term and dollars as Price does. We’d be crippled for years buying him out.  Price probably isn’t walking away from around $40m to retire. No team is going to trade for him with his injury and contract - unless he come back and shows he is still healthy AND elite.

Agree ... but if he retires he "only" walks away from $31.25 million in "real money" (please note the emphasis on "only" to show it is meant as tongue-in-cheek).

12 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Milestones are going to depend on timelines based on decisions by medical professionals on Price’s future - or by Price deciding to walk away from $40m - possible, but highly unlikely ...

A more realistic scenario than retirement may be that he decides not to have surgery ... it was reported that he would seek a second opinion after visiting his doctor in New York, and he allegedly was been told that another surgery is needed to play again ... no surgery might mean going the LTIR route into the sunset.

HOWEVER, the source for the need for further surgery is "Quebec's Eklund" ... almost entirely clickbait but with an occasional scope that proves to be true ... so take it with a huge grain of salt

HughGort have a responsibility to make sure the Habs go into the season with legitimate NHL goaltending. A young D corps need to be able to know that every mistake won’t hit the back of the net. It is quite possible to argue that Allen-Monty isn’t legit NHL goaltending overs 82 games. Might be worth taking a flyer on a Holtby type to provide insulation (there’s that word again).

I certainly don’t blame them for not having psychic powers vis-a-vis Price; and as for the trade proposals, I wish they’d stop. He’s untradable at this point.

39 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

HughGort have a responsibility to make sure the Habs go into the season with legitimate NHL goaltending. A young D corps need to be able to know that every mistake won’t hit the back of the net.

If Price is not playing in September, and not on LTIR, then the question is whether you spend your limited cap dollars on D or on G. Neither one will have a particularly good outcome: poor D corps will expose the goalie, resulting in more GA. A weak G tandem will allow more goals on medium/low-danger shots, resulting in more GA. There is no free lunch here.

But the two are certainly interrelated. Wideman would look much better playing in front of (the real) Price. And Montembeault would look much better with Chiarot and (the original) Petry in front of him. But if Price is on IR and not playing, there will have to be tough choices made.

10 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

LOL. I know he has scouting chops, but I’ve always had a hard time taking Button seriously given what a clown he was as Flames GM. 

Wright may not be a ‘franchise player’ but he sounds like a legitimate cornerstone piece. It’s another case, though, where the first thing that’s said about him is ‘he won’t pull you out of your seat’ but ‘he does all the right things.’ I get that his offensive numbers are actually amazing when put in context, but part of me wishes that the first thing said about him was that he’s a stud offensive producer, a guy who terrorizes opposing D, not that he’s the wet dream of the average buttoned-down mistake-obsessed NHL coach. I still have some lingering unease that he’s getting too many bonus marks for being Complete, in a league dominated by that risk-averse coaching ideology.

(By contrast, after 30 years of not having an offensive stud on the Habs, I’m down with what Al Arbour said about Mike Bossy: we can teach him to play defence, get me the guy who can score).

I know Bergeron is the standard comparator, but when I hear him described I also think a lot of Jonathan Toews.

Anyhow: with Wright and Suzuki down the middle, the Habs bid fair to have one of the league’s better duos at C for the next decade. Assuming it works out, that will be great to see.

11 hours ago, tomh009 said:

If Price is not playing in September, and not on LTIR ... 

The possibilities for not playing but not on LTIR seem to be almost equally "unlikely" (to use a mild term) ... retirement or trade ... in many ways the most problematic scenario is playing but like a $10.5 million Montembeault 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

LOL. I know he has scouting chops, but I’ve always had a hard time taking Button seriously given what a clown he was as Flames GM. 

Wright may not be a ‘franchise player’ but he sounds like a legitimate cornerstone piece. It’s another case, though, where the first thing that’s said about him is ‘he won’t pull you out of your seat’ but ‘he does all the right things.’ I get that his offensive numbers are actually amazing when put in context, but part of me wishes that the first thing said about him was that he’s a stud offensive producer, a guy who terrorizes opposing D, not that he’s the wet dream of the average buttoned-down mistake-obsessed NHL coach. I still have some lingering unease that he’s getting too many bonus marks for being Complete, in a league dominated by that risk-averse coaching ideology.

(By contrast, after 30 years of not having an offensive stud on the Habs, I’m down with what Al Arbour said about Mike Bossy: we can teach him to play defence, get me the guy who can score).

I know Bergeron is the standard comparator, but when I hear him described I also think a lot of Jonathan Toews.

Anyhow: with Wright and Suzuki down the middle, the Habs bid fair to have one of the league’s better duos at C for the next decade. Assuming it works out, that will be great to see.

At least our expectations aren't too high I don't think. If we can get another Suzuki type (70 points, strong 2 way game) then we are in good shape. 

18 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

for someone who pretty much gave DD a pass for a crap job, you have pretty unrealistic expectations on what is possible for habs management [...]

I do not want to hijack the entry draft thread much longer. I posted here because I am looking forward to the draft, with all the best wishes for a great haul of prospects along some trades to improve the NHL roster for the second tank season in a row.

with regards to my expectation of management, I do not think I am unreasonable. Businesses take financial hits when they need to correct mistakes:

* Volkswagen paid penalties and recalled their cars when they were found guilty on their emissions testing

* Boeing suffered financial losses when its planes were grounded after a series of crashes

* the Coyotes were fined and some draft picks were forfeited when they violated the combine testing policy

* corporations sometimes report Millions lost to discontinued operations, restructuring, write-off, etc.

that is what I am talking about. I expect clarity with regard to hockey operations, cap management and contract limits; especially with next season being so important and pivotal to the rebuild

I posted here because I am looking forward to the draft, with all the best wishes for a great haul of prospects along some trades to improve the NHL roster for the second tank season in a row.

Yes. The draft should be very exciting for Habs fans. Not only because of drafting #1 but what they do with their other picks should be very interesting. 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not want to hijack the entry draft thread much longer. I posted here because I am looking forward to the draft, with all the best wishes for a great haul of prospects along some trades to improve the NHL roster for the second tank season in a row.

with regards to my expectation of management, I do not think I am unreasonable. Businesses take financial hits when they need to correct mistakes:

* Volkswagen paid penalties and recalled their cars when they were found guilty on their emissions testing

* Boeing suffered financial losses when its planes were grounded after a series of crashes

* the Coyotes were fined and some draft picks were forfeited when they violated the combine testing policy

* corporations sometimes report Millions lost to discontinued operations, restructuring, write-off, etc.

that is what I am talking about. I expect clarity with regard to hockey operations, cap management and contract limits; especially with next season being so important and pivotal to the rebuild

Those businesses arent part of leagues with a CBA and a salary cap.

some top ten kids at worlds, not likely options for Habs but;

Slafkovsky 2a

Nemec 1a 

Jiricek 1g

Marco Kasper standing out vs USA, he may be mid-late 1st round range?

Ranked #18 by FCHOCKEY

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

Those businesses arent part of leagues with a CBA and a salary cap.

They are unionized … but that is not the point 

They also do not have a draft : Go Wright Go!!!

Let’s hear Hug-Gort roar at the draft !!!

They are unionized … but that is not the point 

They also do not have a draft : Go Wright Go!!!

Let’s hear Hug-Gort roar at the draft !!!

My point is that the player has a NMC.  If he wants to keep trying to get back and having more procedures, rehab, whatever on his knee.  There is nothing management can do.

Which one will go 1st in draft, which will likely have better NHL career?

48 Maveric Lamoureux 43.0 D Drummondville Voltigeurs QMJHL Jan 13, 2004 6’7″ 196 R
49 Lane Hutson 43.4 D U.S. National U18 Team USDP Feb 14, 2004 5’8″ 148 L

As a side-note, I don’t know why so many fans and media want us to dump Mailloux. That would be atrocious asset management, and the kid supposedly has significant hockey upside. Having drafted him, we should now continue to work with him to reap the benefits of that upside - PROVIDED he is showing he learned from his gruesome mistake and is willing to work on being a better man.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As a side-note, I don’t know why so many fans and media want us to dump Mailloux. That would be atrocious asset management, and the kid supposedly has significant hockey upside. Having drafted him, we should now continue to work with him to reap the benefits of that upside - PROVIDED he is showing he learned from his gruesome mistake and is willing to work on being a better man.

Agreed ... I would be onboard if he was a significant piece in a significant trade (as with any player IMO) ... but not moving him just to move him

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... I would be onboard if he was a significant piece in a significant trade (as with any player IMO) ... but not moving him just to move him

Yes, way too early to trade him unless the return is significant which it likely won't be yet.  Let him continue to develop and see where it goes. 

4 hours ago, DON said:

some top ten kids at worlds, not likely options for Habs but;

Slafkovsky 2a

Nemec 1a 

Jiricek 1g

Marco Kasper standing out vs USA, he may be mid-late 1st round range?

Ranked #18 by FCHOCKEY

Looking at the raw stats im surprised he isn’t ranked higher. Poor defensive game or something? With limited knowledge on the guy he looks like a great pick at 25-32 in the Calgary range 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/5/13/23066883/ivan-miroshnichenkos-2022-nhl-draft-profile-prospect-profile-scouting-report-rankings-health-talent

Glowing stuff;

"...when the puck is in the offensive zone, you want him to shoot the puck. He has that almost unteachable knack for scoring goals regardless of where he has the puck. He can create chances around the net, but when he has space and time Miroshnichenko shines as he possesses an incredible shot."

Another kid to likely go in Habs picks range

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/5/11/23056501/liam-ohgren-2022-nhl-draft-profile-lacks-elite-traits-prospect-profile-scouting-report-rankings

I tend to agree with the Commandant that we should swing for the fences with at least some of the later picks, rather than going safe. Middle-six players are far easier to find, even on waivers (see Pitlick, Rem), but top forwards (and D-men) pretty much need to be drafted.