2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I'll go on mute.

Please dont, not necessary.

In 6 weeks when draft rolls around, should be an VERY interesting July and off-season for this franchise.:hyper:

Will it be...Lets "burn this motherf**ker to the ground!" or a more conservative, slow and measured approach to rebuild?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I'll go on mute.

No need to go on mute.  My personal opinion is that sometimes you get bored so you look for controversy where none exists and like to stir things up which is fine in moderation. 

I can't find fault with anything HuGo has done so far, in fact I am very pleased with the moves they have made. I really like Hughes communication style, he seems to have a great understanding of what information to share with the public and what cards should be kept close to the vest.  The draft should be a lot of fun for Habs fans. 

• Like 1

Alfredo, there is no need to mute. The observation that they are watching from a box is fine, but you wrote:

I do not think Hugh-Gort setup any combines like MB did.

They seem to like watching from a lodge... I do not know what to expect from their evaluation of talent come next draft

And that turns it into an implication that they are not doing combines, just lounging about in the corporate box. It may not be how you meant it, but many people will read it that way.

In general, my view is that Hugo like to keep their cards close to the vest, and not let the other GMs know what they are thinking (and, by extension, us fans don't know, either). This is, I think, significantly different from Bergevin, who liked to talk to the media more, and gave them more, whether it was facts, or spin for the benefit of the other GMs.

Re: Rodney Dangerfield, the issue is that it’s still too early for pessimism or criticism re: HughGort. They haven’t made any significant mistakes yet, and the one outside-the-box move they made, hiring St. Louis, has come up trumps so far. 

I think a “wait and see” attitude is healthy and probably wise - I remember similar waves of optimism around Bergevin, and before him, Gainey. The problem is that it’s too easy to slip into over-compensating for the general positivity around Hugh-Gort by taking a critical (rather than non-aligned) tone toward them…or, relatedly, trying against all logic to defend Ducharme.

So, deferred judgement until more evidence is in? Yes. Taking shots at Hugh-Gort in order to balance out the honeymoon phase they’re currently in? Unwarranted. Just my two cents. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Re: Rodney Dangerfield, the issue is that it’s still too early for pessimism or criticism re: HughGort. They haven’t made any significant mistakes yet, and the one outside-the-box move they made, hiring St. Louis, has come up trumps so far. 

I think a “wait and see” attitude is healthy and probably wise - I remember similar waves of optimism around Bergevin, and before him, Gainey. The problem is that it’s too easy to slip into over-compensating for the general positivity around Hugh-Gort by taking a critical (rather than non-aligned) tone toward them…or, relatedly, trying against all logic to defend Ducharme.

So, deferred judgement until more evidence is in? Yes. Taking shots at Hugh-Gort in order to balance out the honeymoon phase they’re currently in? Unwarranted. Just my two cents. 

I started the Fire Hugh-Gort thread as, what I thought, a reference to the hilarious "Fire Julien" thread and others.

Part of my criticism of Hugh-Gort was the mishandling of the coaching situation. I am not talking of DD's inability to rally the team, I am talking about the "hung up to dry" approach: Hugh-Gort not DD.

I also have commented in many threads how critical I was of Petry's snarky comments and lack of respect for his teammates and former coach.

Former GMs have said to the media they will have a talk with their players. For example when Price or Subban made comments in the past.

===

I have taken the time to reflect on my attitude towards Hugh-Gort. The best I can explain it is that I feel like if my parents had divorced and that my mom had re-married. It does not matter how abusive the past relationship may have been or how wonderfull the new step-dad may be: I do not like it.

I am happy for the Habs because the team (mom in my analogy), Molson (grandma) and the fans (family) are happy. I want what is the best for the team.

But do no task me to applaud every non-move and intense contemplation that Hugh-Gort may or may not be doing.

@The Chicoutimi Cucumber, buddy, I am with you in a wait and see stand. I will judge them on their actions: case in point, how much I liked the Barron trade and the first round picks.

For the rest, I'll be snarky and dismissive when I feel like it but within what is acceptable in this forum

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Part of my criticism of Hugh-Gort was the mishandling of the coaching situation. I am not talking of DD's inability to rally the team, I am talking about the "hung up to dry" approach: Hugh-Gort not DD.

I don't see how they mishandled the coaching situation.  HuGo came on board and recognized DD was dealt a bad hand. They even said this in a press conference. They gave themselves sufficient time to analyze the situation, get to know DD and then made a determination that a coaching change was required. Looking back it was the right decision.  They get paid to make decisions.  I think they handled the coaching situation in a correct manner. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't see how they mishandled the coaching situation.  HuGo came on board and recognized DD was dealt a bad hand. They even said this in a press conference. They gave themselves sufficient time to analyze the situation, get to know DD and then made a determination that a coaching change was required. Looking back it was the right decision.  They get paid to make decisions.  I think they handled the coaching situation in a correct manner. 

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree with that... 100%

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't see how they mishandled the coaching situation.  

Well first hired Gorton said DD was staying till end of year...a big WHOOPS!

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Well first hired Gorton said DD was staying till end of year...a big WHOOPS!

Yes that is correct. I remember the press conference.  I think after some time and due diligence HuGo realized they had to make a change.  He would have been better off to say something like "we have no immediate plans to replace DD".  I think their intention was to support DD but after being around realized that DD had lost the room and he had to go. 

I felt bad for DD. He was dealt a crappy hand but obviously his approach didn't work. 

i got a draft question..

say the Habs pick Wright .. and he play next year in the bigs can we say better or worse then KK in year 1?

is Wright even gonna play in bigs next year like KK did after his draft? 

1 hour ago, ehjay said:

i got a draft question..

say the Habs pick Wright .. and he play next year in the bigs can we say better or worse then KK in year 1?

Only HuGo know for certain ... but I don't see how another year in the OHL really helps him and he can't play in the AHL because he is CHL eligible ... so my expectation is yes ... unless his TC and first 9 games are so bad that he clearly isn't ready ... but insulated as a 3C to start the season my expectation is that he will be able to handle it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes that is correct. I remember the press conference.  I think after some time and due diligence HuGo realized they had to make a change.  He would have been better off to say something like "we have no immediate plans to replace DD".  I think their intention was to support DD but after being around realized that DD had lost the room and he had to go. 

I felt bad for DD. He was dealt a crappy hand but obviously his approach didn't work. 

Agreed

image.png

The team was in complete and catastrophic meltdown mode, getting blown out night after night. It would have been impossible to continue that way.

I understand why they gave DD the green light when they took on the job, and I understand why they revoked it. A total cataclysmic breakdown was not what they'd anticipated, so they adjusted.

2 hours ago, ehjay said:

i got a draft question..

I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the NHL next season.  Offensively, 34 points is a decent expectation probably, assuming he's eased in and plays limited minutes at the start.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The team was in complete and catastrophic meltdown mode, getting blown out night after night. It would have been impossible to continue that way.

I understand why they gave DD the green light when they took on the job, and I understand why they revoked it. A total cataclysmic breakdown was not what they'd anticipated, so they adjusted.

Yeah. They saw that he wasn’t able to adjust, and players quit. If DD was dealt such a bad hand, St Louis wouldn’t have been able to get a better effort out of them either. 

Mist GM’s coming in aren’t coming in to change the coach right away unless it’s off season. The habs were so bad, that it wouldn’t have even made sense for them to not want to finish the season with the same coach- owner was still paying Julien. It’s actually a credit to them that when they saw how bad things are, they did fire him.

14 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Only HuGo know for certain ... but I don't see how another year in the OHL really helps him and he can't play in the AHL because he is CHL eligible ... so my expectation is yes ... unless his TC and first 9 games are so bad that he clearly isn't ready ... but insulated as a 3C to start the season my expectation is that he will be able to handle it.

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the NHL next season.  Offensively, 34 points is a decent expectation probably, assuming he's eased in and plays limited minutes at the start.

thanks guys for hitting me up :)

so if he should play next year and 34 is a reasonable point total.. how aboot the parts that are puckless some peepo chatup all the time? 

*going into the boards

*coming out the boards with the puck

*(they say he a center) can he win face offs, that kind biz ..

bcuz to be honest i didnt think KK is an NHL center (ok top center), i see him more winger type but then again i saw the last 10 years play too so maybe i forgot what a (young top) NHL center on the Habs looks like, Thank The Divine for Nick Suzuki :)

• Like 1

random old time memory...

i had a friend i played hockey (fine, ball hockey) with back inda days and this foo never went digging for ball but holy dang this guy Always had the ball as soon some1 on the other side came out the corner... I aint never seen aLazyMan with such an Active stick. I saw my boy on ice with KK at times and then no more.. I wish him well tho (KK) :) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ehjay said:

thanks guys for hitting me up :)

so if he should play next year and 34 is a reasonable point total.. how aboot the parts that are puckless some peepo chatup all the time? 

*going into the boards

*coming out the boards with the puck

*(they say he a center) can he win face offs, that kind biz ..

I haven't seen enough full game clips of Wright to really comment on the board battle stuff but on the faceoff side, he was at 49.9% during the regular season and is at 50.2% in the playoffs.  That won't translate well to the pros right away as there is almost always a drop from going from junior so I'd peg his rookie faceoff percentage in the 42%/43% range.  That seems low but it's fairly common for youngsters.  Wright's all-around game makes him very likely to stay down the middle though - he's not a real candidate to move to the wing.

Just now, dlbalr said:

I haven't seen enough full game clips of Wright to really comment on the board battle stuff but on the faceoff side, he was at 49.9% during the regular season and is at 50.2% in the playoffs.  That won't translate well to the pros right away as there is almost always a drop from going from junior so I'd peg his rookie faceoff percentage in the 42%/43% range.  That seems low but it's fairly common for youngsters.  Wright's all-around game makes him very likely to stay down the middle though - he's not a real candidate to move to the wing.

I like that FeReal tho .. if he got better game at dot then KK in 1st year i kinda see that as a win and if he a middleman at next level too.. double win :)