2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Faceoff percentage is the most overrated part of being a centre.  There is so many more things a good centre does but we dont have stats for those so we focus on faceoffs.

Ya, you keep saying that (why i dont know?) but Bergeron was run out for every important faceoff the Bruins taken in last decade.

And we all seen 10,000 won faceoffs on the PP that quickly end up in back of net vs down the ice, killing 20-40 seconds of the PP.

1 minute ago, DON said:

Ya, you keep saying that (why i dont know?) but Bergeron was run out for every important faceoff the Bruins taken in last decade.

And we all seen 10,000 won faceoffs on the PP that quickly end up in back of net vs down the ice, killing 20-40 seconds of the PP.

I didn't say they were worthless... obviously its better to win a faceoff than to lose one.  They have some value. 

The value fans and media put on them though far outweighs their actual value.  Winning a faceoff gives you a small increase in the chances of getting a shot on goal (about 6% more than losing it), and it only lasts for about 8 seconds after the faceoff.  Considering that the difference between the worst faceoff guy in the league and Bergeron, is the difference of winning on average about 3-4 faceoffs per game, the benefits are extremely small. 

That said you still put out your best faceoff guys for a key faceoff, but that doesn't mean you base your acquisitions on faceoff percentage.  You look at how a centre is able to control the middle of the ice and drive possession during the actual game play (something Bergeron is elite at). 

If Brad Lambert slips to 20 would he be worth trading up for? He’s another swing for the fences guy. He was regarded as a top 5 pick in this draft a year or so ago. 

After a relative guarantee in Wright as a top 6 Center, I personally would take those risks for the biggest payoffs. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There are a few swing for the fences style picks you could go for and yes Lambert would be one of them if he falls.

I wonder if any of these risky and/or underrated guys will just slip to our Calgary pick?

Lambert, Mirischenko, Mateychuk etc. I’m just scared we’ll go with boring picks with low ceilings and high floors when we can afford to take some risks with all the picks we have.

And I wonder what the HuGo approach will be considering it’s their first draft with the canadiens. Keeping my fingers crossed 

42 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I wonder if any of these risky and/or underrated guys will just slip to our Calgary pick?

Lambert, Mirischenko, Mateychuk etc. I’m just scared we’ll go with boring picks with low ceilings and high floors when we can afford to take some risks with all the picks we have.

And I wonder what the HuGo approach will be considering it’s their first draft with the canadiens. Keeping my fingers crossed 

If you look at some of New York's drafts under Gorton, I wouldn't say they were leaning towards safe picks - they were often picking higher-ceiling players well above their draft rankings with the hopes that they'd pan out to be better than those projected to go above them.  (That strategy didn't work particularly well...)

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If you look at some of New York's drafts under Gorton, I wouldn't say they were leaning towards safe picks - they were often picking higher-ceiling players well above their draft rankings with the hopes that they'd pan out to be better than those projected to go above them.  (That strategy didn't work particularly well...)

Yea, I’m not advocating for picking well above average rank that’s for sure. More so advocating for people who slip because they have some question marks (but high upside). 

Reaching would be disappointing to me on draft day. But I’m the end I dont care what they do as long as it works out!

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

If Brad Lambert slips to 20 would he be worth trading up for? He’s another swing for the fences guy. He was regarded as a top 5 pick in this draft a year or so ago. 

But, he did fall in rankings and not a good sign, it "seems" like the kids who fall, in long run, do so for good reason.

There are lots of safer seeming options at 27-33. The Russian kid with cancer is one i would like to see them gamble on, if he slides. 

6 minutes ago, DON said:

But, he did fall in rankings and not a good sign, it "seems" like the kids who fall, in long run, do so for good reason.

There are lots of safer seeming options at 27-33. The Russian kid with cancer is one i would like to see them gamble on, if he slides. 

Sometimes, then again Aatu Raty fell last year and the. Had an excellent draft +1. 

23 minutes ago, DON said:

I cant read french but get the jist ( i think)

Someone (Brunet?) predicted pretty correctly.

The list is from a "draft magazine" and the comment is that even experts make mistakes, and never trust to consensus.

The list got one completely wrong; they overlooked Pettersson and Vilardi went 11th ... and of course in retrospect Makar likely should have gone #1

1 hour ago, DON said:

I cant read french but get the jist ( i think)

Someone (Brunet?) predicted pretty correctly.

He is a beat reporter for Montreal’s French newspaper 

He was commenting on other’s making come ts about KK being a wasted #3 overall and showed this to shut them down 

Colorado wins so the best the Habs can draft is 26th with Calgary's pick.  I hope the Oilers take out Colorado for a couple reasons;

1) with no Habs in the playoffs it's more fun living in Edmonton when the Oilers are doing well so I will cheer for the hometown team

2) now that the Oilers have gone this far, I would rather have their 2nd round pick next year as this year's will be in the 61-64 range 

I expect the smart money is on Colorado but it was also on Calgary. 

Suzuki

Dvorak

Wright

Evans

could be worse centre group and one reason i think wont be in running for Bedard.

Likely be a weak team, but not cellar bad like say, Arizona/Seattle/Ottawa/Vancouver/Chicago?

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Colorado wins so the best the Habs can draft is 26th with Calgary's pick.  I hope the Oilers take out Colorado for a couple reasons;

1) with no Habs in the playoffs it's more fun living in Edmonton when the Oilers are doing well so I will cheer for the hometown team

2) now that the Oilers have gone this far, I would rather have their 2nd round pick next year as this year's will be in the 61-64 range 

I expect the smart money is on Colorado but it was also on Calgary. 

It will be amazing to see McDavid vs Mackinnon. Holy crap.

I haven’t played close attention to the Avs at all, but I notice Kemper has a .904 save percentage. I don’t think much of Smith, but he’s at .927. I have no doubt the Avs will expose him, but the way EDM’s offence is roaring right now, they might absolutely ventilate Kemper. Weird to say but the series could come down to which goalie is more inept.

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... Weird to say but the series could come down to which goalie is more inept.

Maybe one of the GMs should hire Pedro Cerrano to bless their goalie's equipment.

14 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

As long as he doesn’t trade up for another Jared Tinordi 😅

In the 5th round might be worth a flyer ... 😉

15 minutes ago, DON said:

That reference to Kidney by that NHL source is interesting too

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That reference to Kidney by that NHL source is interesting too

It would be if the writer was anyone other than Jimmy Murphy.  Dude makes up Habs and NHL sources on the regular.  One of the least credible guys out there.  I have no idea if that Kidney quote is even real.