2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

On 5/27/2022 at 11:28 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Colorado wins so the best the Habs can draft is 26th with Calgary's pick.  I hope the Oilers take out Colorado for a couple reasons;

1) with no Habs in the playoffs it's more fun living in Edmonton when the Oilers are doing well so I will cheer for the hometown team

2) now that the Oilers have gone this far, I would rather have their 2nd round pick next year as this year's will be in the 61-64 range 

I expect the smart money is on Colorado but it was also on Calgary. 

For us to get the Oiler's 2nd next year, we need Edmonton to beat Colorado and for Duncan Keith to be a top 4 Dman in ice time during the first three rounds.    It was close when I checked this a while ago but Keith is now 2nd with 238 minutes and Barrie is 5th with 218 minutes.   

2 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

For us to get the Oiler's 2nd next year, we need Edmonton to beat Colorado and for Duncan Keith to be a top 4 Dman in ice time during the first three rounds.    It was close when I checked this a while ago but Keith is now 2nd with 238 minutes and Barrie is 5th with 218 minutes.   

Good point, I forgot about that part.  We now move up to 26th with Calgary pick as the Rangers won. 

Pronman stirring up the pot:

Projected bubble NHL All-Star and top of the lineup player

1. Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, Tps (FINLAND)

Mar. 30, 2004 | 6′ 3.5″ | 218 pounds | Shoots left

Tier: Projected bubble NHL All-Star and top of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: Above NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

2. Shane Wright, C, Kingston (OHL)

Jan. 5, 2004 | 6′ 0.25″ | 191 pounds | Shoots right

Tier: Projected bubble NHL All-Star and top of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: Above NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: Above NHL averag
e

HIs pick #26

26. Liam Ohgren, LW, Djurgarden Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)

Jan. 28, 2004 | 6′ 0.0″ | 187 pounds | Shoots left

Tier: Projected middle of the lineup player

Skating: Below NHL average

Pronman's assessment values Slafkovsky's size and puck skills higher than Wright's hockey sense and compete (those are the four distinguishing attributes).

My hockey sense says that St Louis would love to have Wright on his team.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Pronman's assessment values Slafkovsky's size and puck skills higher than Wright's hockey sense and compete (those are the four distinguishing attributes).

My hockey sense says that St Louis would love to have Wright on his team.

There seems to be a lot of people thinking we should take Slavkovsky but I don’t think HuGo are even considering it. 

Great breakdown Tom

13 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There seems to be a lot of people thinking we should take Slavkovsky but I don’t think HuGo are even considering it. 

Great breakdown Tom

I think there is no question that Slavkovsky has given HuGo something to think about.  He is an intriguing combination of size and talent.  If it's a toss up then I think you take the center. 

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think there is no question that Slavkovsky has given HuGo something to think about.  He is an intriguing combination of size and talent.  If it's a toss up then I think you take the center. 

if he is a LW, he would fit perfectly with Suzuki and Caufield.

Mgmt must of got a good look at the world's, cant see them passing on Wright, but will make for fun debate for next 5 weeks.:popcorn:

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

if he is a LW, he would fit perfectly with Suzuki and Caufield.

He is a LW and he would likely fit very well with Caulfield and Suzuki but I think having another strong center is a big priority. I would like to get both but that is likely just a dream. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He is a LW and he would likely fit very well with Caulfield and Suzuki but I think having another strong center is a big priority. I would like to get both but that is likely just a dream. 

Also the rare breed of center with a strong defensive game and ability to put up points coming right out of the draft is incredibly valuable.  Most draftees have to make huge strides to develop their defensive game to an NHL level.  Wright comes out of the box with it, and I’m not saying it’s elite level, but fundamentally sound.

57 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I bet they will interview a few players in consideration for #1 but unless Wright has a poor interview I can’t see them pass. 

Like Don said, it will be a great topic of conversation and I can’t wait to find out. 

Ideal world we pick both

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/hughes-well-draft-the-best-player-available/c-334397266?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=CHCcontent&utm_content=EN-0531-NHLCombine-Hughes-RecapArticle

"We all know talented players in our domain who aren't necessarily good team guys."

Petry, Hoffman...assume he is talking about you guys.:tumbleweed:

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Also the rare breed of center with a strong defensive game and ability to put up points coming right out of the draft is incredibly valuable.  Most draftees have to make huge strides to develop their defensive game to an NHL level.  Wright comes out of the box with it, and I’m not saying it’s elite level, but fundamentally sound.

Also way easier to.get wings than centers.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I bet they will interview a few players in consideration for #1 but unless Wright has a poor interview I can’t see them pass. 

Like Don said, it will be a great topic of conversation and I can’t wait to find out. 

Ideal world we pick both

A use of interviews is also to have a database if these players are available for trade later.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

A use of interviews is also to have a database if these players are available for trade later.

Or in the LottoMax level unlikely event they can trade for a second high pick

9 hours ago, DON said:

...HIs pick #26

26. Liam Ohgren, LW, Djurgarden Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)

Jan. 28, 2004 | 6′ 0.0″ | 187 pounds | Shoots left

Tier: Projected middle of the lineup player

Skating: Below NHL average

That does not seem to fit the presumed profile of HoGo players.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

That does not seem to fit the presumed profile of HoGo players.

It was simply that fella's draft ranking, it seems will be a bunch of solid looking options at 26.

What would Pick #26 + Pick #33 = 20th pick (Wash.)? JUST what if. 

4 minutes ago, DON said:

It was simply that fella's draft ranking ...

And mine was just a comment ... it will be an interesting few weeks.

For what VERY little it is likely worth

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/5/31/23143133/noah-warren-scouting-draft-profile-2022-nhl-draft-rankings-projection-highlights-defenceman

Well, he is from the Q! and is an overgrown RH d-man.

As with any 6'5" kid, 1st question i got, is he mobile enough to not look like pylon at pro-level.

Oiler pick or Habs 1st 3rd rounder?

But, given size and playing in top prospects games and looking fine, i would guess that some GM will grab him in 2nd round?

DobberProspects: #56
Elite Prospects: #58
FCHockey: #68
McKeen’s: #98
Bob McKenzie (TSN): #59
NHL Central Scouting: #33 (North American skaters)
Corey Pronman (The Athletic): N/R
Scott Wheeler (The Athletic): N/R

Or go other way, with a more offensive 5"10" RH d-man, Vrbetic's teammate.

Pick #33 maybe?

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/5/30/23136934/ty-nelson-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-stats-scouting-defence-skating-ohl-report-rankings

Elite Prospects: #83
FC Hockey: #35
Bob McKenzie: #34
McKeen’s: #24
Craig Button: #32
NHL Central Scouting: #32 (NA Skaters)
Corey Pronman (The Athletic): N/R
Scott Wheeler (The Athletic): #2

3 hours ago, Meller93 said:

I know this is just one tool, but Isaac Howard looks like a hell of a pick at 26 👀

Ranked #38 by FCHOCKEY

Seems another promising looking option for sure.
Another big draft year for USA hockey it appears.
2020-21 6.png USNTDP Juniors USHL 28 16 17 33 4 3 |              
  6.png U.S. National U17 Team USDP 34 27 27 54 4 - |              
  6.png U.S. National U18 Team USDP 17 5 14 19 0 5 |              
  31.png USA U18 WJC-18 5 1 3 4 0 -1 |              
2021-22 6.png U.S. National U18 Team USDP 60 33 49 82 42 31 |              
  6.png USNTDP Juniors USHL 27 11 26 37 32 18 |              
  31.png USA U18 WJC-18 6 6 5 11 2 8 |              
2022-23 6.png Univ. of Minnesota-Duluth NCAA - - - - - - |

16 hours ago, DON said:

It was simply that fella's draft ranking, it seems will be a bunch of solid looking options at 26.

What would Pick #26 + Pick #33 = 20th pick (Wash.)? JUST what if. 

You would think that pick 26 and 33 would move you up 6 spots.  I guess you need to find an organization that is looking to build depth in their prospect pool. Plus it would have to be for a guy you really want, hard to say who will drop and become attractive at a certain spot. It's the kind of deal you would make on the fly, tough to arrange too far ahead of time as you don't know who the other teams are picking.  

As we have stated before, Habs need quality not quantity and I think HuGo is thinking the same thing so I would be surprised if they don't at least try to move up. I know some really like Mateychuk and I have seen him listed all over the place, same with Lambert. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You would think that pick 26 and 33 would move you up 6 spots.  I guess you need to find an organization that is looking to build depth in their prospect pool.

Washington has 20th and i would think they might be open to trading down for an extra pick.