2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You would think that pick 26 and 33 would move you up 6 spots.  I guess you need to find an organization that is looking to build depth in their prospect pool. Plus it would have to be for a guy you really want, hard to say who will drop and become attractive at a certain spot. It's the kind of deal you would make on the fly, tough to arrange too far ahead of time as you don't know who the other teams are picking.  

As we have stated before, Habs need quality not quantity and I think HuGo is thinking the same thing so I would be surprised if they don't at least try to move up. I know some really like Mateychuk and I have seen him listed all over the place, same with Lambert. 

Yea Mateychuk is who I personally hope we get with the 2nd first rounder (likely would require a trade up for him or someone like Lambert if they made it to say 20.

If Isaac Howard is there at 26, that’s who I want, or swing on Miroschnichenko. Perhaps Jagger Firkus if all the above are gone. That’s my entirely non-expert opinion hahah. 

This precludes the pretty much impossible scenario of also drafting Nemec who I’d consider taking second overall 

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Jagger Firkus is like 150 lbs on most sites.  I'm interested to see what he comes in at the combine, but if he's that small, i don't want him before the late second. 

I am guessing he will be gone before late 2nd round. Teams that overlooked Caulfield because of his size won't make the same mistake again. 

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Jagger Firkus is like 150 lbs on most sites.  I'm interested to see what he comes in at the combine, but if he's that small, i don't want him before the late second. 

I hear you in weight, you have to make sure he has the strength for the NHL.

that said, he’s exciting 

kind of reminding me of Johnny Gaudreau’s skating style 

17 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am guessing he will be gone before late 2nd round. Teams that overlooked Caulfield because of his size won't make the same mistake again. 

Firkus is three inches taller and still 15 pounds lighter than Caufield.   The strength concerns me as he's really slight. 

You also have a limit on how many of these size of players you can carry on one team, though Caufield obviously has a place in the league. 

As for teams not making the same mistake again.... Debrincat and Point should have meant they wouldn't make the mistake with Caufield. 

Firkus is allright but I'm not sure I see enough talent to overcome the concerns and take him in the top 33. 

58 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sounds like some folks will always put size over skill. He stood out in top prospects game (player of game), only game i saw him play, he seemed pretty darn shifty around net and has risen in rankings. Would be fine by me at 26, as would seemingly bunch of others would be as well.

If size is an issue, isn’t it worth still drafting him, developing him, all with the intentions to use him as a trade chip?  I understand too many small players Is an issue, but isn’t it much better to take a better prospect for value purposes, than a worse prospect because they are bigger?

I also know prospects don’t hAve a for sure value and the bigger player may end up being the better player.  Just a thought. 

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

... isn’t it much better to take a better prospect for value purposes, than a worse prospect because they are bigger?  ...

Absolutely ... if a talented prospect slips because of fear he is too small, and thereby becomes a better selection than others left on the table, then it is true ... but ay any given point, in the first round especially, absent "slippage" the distinction may between players may be minimal ... and factoring in size doesn't necessarily mean drafting a Jared Tinordi ... it may simply be favouring NHL average size over NHL "tres petit" between two players of similar skill sets ... size can be a legitimate concern in SOME cases.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Firkus is three inches taller and still 15 pounds lighter than Caufield.   The strength concerns me as he's really slight. 

You also have a limit on how many of these size of players you can carry on one team, though Caufield obviously has a place in the league. 

Fair point, although he is short, Caulfield is sturdily built.  It will be interesting to see where Firkus goes, he can sure shoot the puck. 

38 minutes ago, DON said:

This guy is highly rated and would certainly be worth trading up for.  How high could the Habs move up if they packaged 26, 33 and the Oilers 2nd  rounder (62, assuming they lose to Colorado)  and/or their own 3rd round pick (66). 

Minnesota gets an extra 2nd round pick as compensation because they didn't sign their first round pick so the Habs move down 1 spot with with some of their picks. 

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

This guy is highly rated and would certainly be worth trading up for.  How high could the Habs move up if they packaged 26, 33 and the Oilers 2nd  rounder (62, assuming they lose to Colorado)  and/or their own 3rd round pick (66). 

Minnesota gets an extra 2nd round pick as compensation because they didn't sign their first round pick so the Habs move down 1 spot with with some of their picks. 

26+33 or 26+62, could easily see that happening, given the 2 1sts' have next year.:spamafote:

https://theathletic.com/3325034/2022/05/20/shane-wright-canadiens-nhl-draft/

"Unspectacularly effective" 

Seems a common theme for describing Wright's play.

Interesting group of picks, here is your long-shot range "Gallagher, Josh Roy" location and if was Bergevin, it would be trading down or for future year picks with one of these...will be interesting to see how new fella's manage these.

127th overall* New York Rangers Trade
128th overall* Tampa Bay Lightning Trade
5th Round - -
130th overall Montreal Canadiens Owned

I have this feeling that Wright is going to have a fire lit under him next season. He knows a common criticism on him was his eagerness/motor, and he agrees he could improve it. This year I saw a young guy who was trying to learn the game and develop into a complete player, but in doing that he might have sacrificed a few points. But I also hear a guy who is driven and believes in himself. 

I think next year his motor/compete level will surprise us. I think this guy is all in on hockey, and improving his drive/explosiveness might be one of his main focuses this summer. 

edit: he answers a question on this topic around 5:15

Wright really thinks about the game. In Athletic's interview with him, Coolery and Slafkovsky, each one was asked about what they did well and not so well this year. Wright:

I think my decision-making with the puck, understanding where to go on the ice, different situations on the ice is what brings me the most success and is really my best asset as well … I think as well, my maturity as a player, my maturity to be able to play in more situations, being able to kill penalties, being able to take faceoffs, being able to play in more situations and perform well in every situation rather than in the past, kind of being in those situations but not being as successful as I’d like to be …

(But) I think a couple of times, a lot of the time, I was maybe gripping my stick a little too tight. I think a lot of time I was trying to make the perfect play, trying to make the perfect pass, maybe it’s a saucer pass through skates or a tough pass across there. Trying to make a perfect play rather than just kind of react, letting my instincts take over and just making a play that’s maybe simpler, but also just kind of react to what the defenders are giving you, react to where my teammates are. Sometimes where I ran into trouble is where I overthink too much, overthink the situation or the decisions I was making.

Slafkovsky and Cooley just commented about consistency and confidence, but Wright is analyzing the game, trying to figure out what works and how to beat the defenders. Spectacular or not, I really think he's the Wright player for the Habs and for St Louis to coach.

• Upvote 1

Certainly there appear to be no issues with Wright from the neck up, high hockey IQ, mature, intelligent. He does appear to be the safe choice. If he can be a 70 point guy, play a strong 2 way game and be a leader then it will have turned out to be a good pick. Anything above that is gravy. 

Wright has the highest floor of anyone in this class.  

Wright has the highest ceiling of anyone in this class as well. 

I'm tired of the debate.  Wright is a no-brainer IMO.  Just make the pick and lets move on to what else we do in the draft. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Wright has the highest floor of anyone in this class.  

Wright has the highest ceiling of anyone in this class as well. 

I'm tired of the debate.  Wright is a no-brainer IMO.  Just make the pick and lets move on to what else we do in the draft. 

Who would you like to see available at 26 and 33 if the Habs don't move up?

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

... I'm tired of the debate.  Wright is a no-brainer IMO.  Just make the pick and lets move on to what else we do in the draft. 

For what it's worth, I agree.

PURE THOUGHT PLAY: the ONLY reason for the Habs to in any way "consider" Slafkovsky would be if the NJDs are hot-to-trot for him ... Devils have excellent young depth at centre (if not as yet an elite 1C), so Wright and Cooley may not really be a priority ... and with Hamilton and Severson on defence, and "baby Hughes" (Luke) on the way, the top defence prospects (with their attendant learning curves) may not be either ... IF the NJD are, as rumoured, looking to accelerate their rebuild process (they've missed the playoffs 8 of the 9 seasons under current ownership, including the last four) and are h-t-t on JS, could HuGo bluff them into swapping picks to ensure Slafkovsky ends up in Newark, get a little something-something for the trouble of stepping back a pick and still get Wright?

Good news for the young man ... 

• Like 1

i spent time in service jobs on the phone (A Lot of Collections Work) and did my fair share client experience/accommodations relations.. i think i got a pretty good dung meter gauge in my ears.. 

This Slafkovsky kid move my needle on my meter ALL The Way to: TRUTH..

well from this interview he did anyway.. https://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/lnh/lnh-combine-mon-entrevue-avec-le-ch-etait-plus-succulente-qu-un-souper-hockey-3.1407785   

Not knowing anything aboot their (Wright/Slafkovsky) game more then what i read here...IF their game is close  and if yall may think my non-hockey set apart matters:

I would pick Slaflovsky from that interview 

Maybe by the time Wright did his interview https://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/lnh/canadiens/lnh-j-aime-tout-a-propos-des-canadiens-hockey-3.1407793 he didnt have much gas left in the tank for another round of questions and (boring) answers

imho Slafkovsky seems more like a Romanov bubbly character and Wright pulls to me more as a Price low key... Then again there is a reason why Habs never even looked at me CV right? :)