2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

54 minutes ago, ehjay said:

i spent time in service jobs on the phone (A Lot of Collections Work) and did my fair share client experience/accommodations relations.. i think i got a pretty good dung meter gauge in my ears.. 

This Slafkovsky kid move my needle on my meter ALL The Way to: TRUTH..

well from this interview he did anyway.. https://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/lnh/lnh-combine-mon-entrevue-avec-le-ch-etait-plus-succulente-qu-un-souper-hockey-3.1407785   

Not knowing anything aboot their (Wright/Slafkovsky) game more then what i read here...IF their game is close  and if yall may think my non-hockey set apart matters:

I would pick Slaflovsky from that interview 

Maybe by the time Wright did his interview https://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/lnh/canadiens/lnh-j-aime-tout-a-propos-des-canadiens-hockey-3.1407793 he didnt have much gas left in the tank for another round of questions and (boring) answers

imho Slafkovsky seems more like a Romanov bubbly character and Wright pulls to me more as a Price low key... Then again there is a reason why Habs never even looked at me CV right? :) 

I recall nail Yakupov being a very animated interview as well. We all know how that panned out. 

I would say the quality of an interview is not based on whether they are bubbly or not, but on the actual content of what is being said.

Wright interviews like he plays - unspectacular but efficient, smart and methodical, confident but not cocky.

I always come away very impressed personally, and see him and a great locker room, lead by example guy in the future. 

He’s also not 100% serious. I’ve seen him crack a few jokes and have some fun

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I recall nail Yakupov being a very animated interview as well. We all know how that panned out. 

I would say the quality of an interview is not based on whether they are bubbly or not, but on the actual content of what is being said.

Wright interviews like he plays - unspectacular but efficient, smart and methodical, confident but not cocky.

I always come away very impressed personally, and see him and a great locker room, lead by example guy in the future. 

I can think of few worse ways of assessing a player than media interviews.

Living in Van, I recall two guys who reliably said all the right things: Zack Kassian and Jake Virtanen. They were good enough at this that every time they opened their mouths, especially in camp, the sports shows would have a morning’s worth of material about how it sounded like they’d ‘turned the corner,’ ‘found a new maturity,’ etc.. And sure enough, they would proceed to be lazy, entitled bums out on the ice.

Do I love a lively, charismatic PK Subban type in a league of robots? 100%. But media skills bear zero connection to on-ice merit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Kent Hughes son tested very very well. Would be hilarious if we took him in the 2nd or 3rd 

It'd be good value at that spot.  There are a few spots that still have him as a first-rounder.

interesting comparison, that will look better for the Habs after this year's draft. Habs are just getting started while the others have been stuck in rebuild mode for years

I still want the Habs to tank next year, to get more elite talent:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

interesting comparison, that will look better for the Habs after this year's draft. Habs are just getting started while the others have been stuck in rebuild mode for years

I still want the Habs to tank next year, to get more elite talent:

Strange time to do a comparison considering wright will be on MTLS list shortly.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I know some teams like to ask odd questions but I'm a little confused to see what the Habs are trying to glean from this particular one...

Suspect it is just the reaction to such an "out-of-left-field" question, his ability to process it, and provide a coherent response ... of course the "behavioural science folks" may have some preference for reasons I would undoubtedly not understand.

26 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Suspect it is just the reaction to such an "out-of-left-field" question, his ability to process it, and provide a coherent response ... of course the "behavioural science folks" may have some preference for reasons I would undoubtedly not understand.

Yea, I’d suspect the answer itself would isn’t what they look for, but the reasoning behind it and how they were able to think through such a weird question.

I’m still not a big fan of reading into it much. How much is it truly affecting who you draft lol?

“Yea we took Slafkovsky because Wright would have taken the $50 bucks, the dirty dog.”

3 hours ago, Meller93 said:

I remember Brian Burke saying Yakupov was the worst interview ever.  He was right. Animated doesn't mean good. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1969942

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

To be more precise, Burke on Yakupov. 

"We weren't going to take him. His draft interview was the worst interview I've ever had in my life. Terrible," Burke said on Monday's episode of the "Spittin' Chiclets" podcast.

When asked why the interview went so poorly, Burke did not hold back.

"He was defiant, obnoxious, and sullen," he continued. "John Lilley, one of our scouts ... almost fought him in the interview, so it was not a good interview."

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

To be more precise, Burke on Yakupov. 

"We weren't going to take him. His draft interview was the worst interview I've ever had in my life. Terrible," Burke said on Monday's episode of the "Spittin' Chiclets" podcast.

When asked why the interview went so poorly, Burke did not hold back.

"He was defiant, obnoxious, and sullen," he continued. "John Lilley, one of our scouts ... almost fought him in the interview, so it was not a good interview."

I’ve heard that one before hahaha. His oilers interview must have been better since they drafted him lol.

Maybe he was so cocky he felt offended getting interviewed by the team picking at 5. 

4 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

... His oilers interview must have been better since they drafted him lol ...

OR ... the Oilers were just THAT "stupid".

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

OR ... the Oilers were just THAT "stupid".

He was the consensus #1 pick that year so a lot of pressure to draft him.  It's became a pretty well known story in Edmonton that the scouts wanted them to take Ryan Murray instead but........

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He was the consensus #1 pick that year so a lot of pressure to draft him.  It's became a pretty well known story in Edmonton that the scouts wanted them to take Ryan Murray instead but........

Funny how even Ryan Murray would have been a better pick that year, and then Galchenyuk even better than that hahah.

a Trouba, Dumba or Reilly would have done the Oilers well that year 

10 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I’ve heard that one before hahaha. His oilers interview must have been better since they drafted him lol.

Maybe he was so cocky he felt offended getting interviewed by the team picking at 5. 

I think you are correct and I think Brian Burke sort of implied the same thing where he thought Yakupov had the attitude that "I'll be long gone by the time you draft so why waste my time talking to you"  and he was long gone by the time the Leafs drafted. It did turn out well for the Leafs as they got Reilly at 5. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Welcome to the Kevin Lowe era.  He messed the oilers up so bad with his belief that his ring as a player meant he knew everything as management.  Scouts wanted Murray and he vetoed the pick for Yakupov.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Welcome to the Kevin Lowe era.  He messed the oilers up so bad with his belief that his ring as a player meant he knew everything as management.  Scouts wanted Murray and he vetoed the pick for Yakupov.

At the time Steve Tambellini was GM and I think Lowe was President of Hockey Operations so I guess they put their heads together and decided Yakupov was the guy.  And of course they rushed Yakupov which didn't help. 

6 hours ago, Meller93 said:

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I can think of few worse ways of assessing a player than media interviews.

Living in Van, I recall two guys who reliably said all the right things: Zack Kassian and Jake Virtanen. They were good enough at this that every time they opened their mouths, especially in camp, the sports shows would have a morning’s worth of material about how it sounded like they’d ‘turned the corner,’ ‘found a new maturity,’ etc.. And sure enough, they would proceed to be lazy, entitled bums out on the ice.

Do I love a lively, charismatic PK Subban type in a league of robots? 100%. But media skills bear zero connection to on-ice merit.

I was trying to talk aboot how they sounded while talking hockey not on the present skill or future levels reached.. I just felt Slafkovsky sounded way more lively aboot the game and Wright more of the between period quick interview type.. as i said idk much aboot the players other then what i read here

31 minutes ago, ehjay said:

I was trying to talk aboot how they sounded while talking hockey not on the present skill or future levels reached.. I just felt Slafkovsky sounded way more lively aboot the game and Wright more of the between period quick interview type.. as i said idk much aboot the players other then what i read here

About* 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Yea, I’d suspect the answer itself would isn’t what they look for, but the reasoning behind it and how they were able to think through such a weird question.

I’m still not a big fan of reading into it much. How much is it truly affecting who you draft lol?

“Yea we took Slafkovsky because Wright would have taken the $50 bucks, the dirty dog.”

Frankly My reply would have been what kind of dumb question is that, and I hope you don’t draft me.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:24 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Who would you like to see available at 26 and 33 if the Habs don't move up?

My list is up to 36 now.  

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2022-nhl-entry-draft-headquarters/

I'd love to see the home run swings, a guy like Miroschinchenko to fall, or a Brad Lambert or Conor Geekie who seem to be falling to land to us.  Another one I love who i see ranked later than I have him is Mateychuk. 

Position wise, Seamus Casey, Elias Salomonsson, Ty Nelson, Ryan Chesley would be good fits for us at Right D.

I'd also love any of the 4 Djurgardens kids.  I really like what they are doing in development. Its like drafting a kid from the London Knights or something.  Leave the kid in Sweden for two more years with their development program and then bring him to North America at 20.  You know that Djurgardens is going to do a good job developing their game. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I know some teams like to ask odd questions but I'm a little confused to see what the Habs are trying to glean from this particular one...

2 things

You want him to say he would take the 50 cause he is willing to sacrifice to do better.   He's willing to work harder to get more instead of taking the easy route with the lower amount. 

However, the real right answer.... I'll take both.  Shows outside the box thinking and not being confined to the parameters of the question.  Its Captain Kirk in the Kobayashi Maru, you change the game to win. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

2 things

You want him to say he would take the 50 cause he is willing to sacrifice to do better.   He's willing to work harder to get more instead of taking the easy route with the lower amount. 

However, the real right answer.... I'll take both.  Shows outside the box thinking and not being confined to the parameters of the question.  Its Captain Kirk in the Kobayashi Maru, you change the game to win. 

This is exactly what I thought of too. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordian_Knot

• Like 1