2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

My list is up to 36 now.  

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2022-nhl-entry-draft-headquarters/

I'd love to see the home run swings, a guy like Miroschinchenko to fall, or a Brad Lambert or Conor Geekie who seem to be falling to land to us.  Another one I love who i see ranked later than I have him is Mateychuk. 

Position wise, Seamus Casey, Elias Salomonsson, Ty Nelson, Ryan Chesley would be good fits for us at Right D.

I'd also love any of the 4 Djurgardens kids.  I really like what they are doing in development. Its like drafting a kid from the London Knights or something.  Leave the kid in Sweden for two more years with their development program and then bring him to North America at 20.  You know that Djurgardens is going to do a good job developing their game. 

Imagine Wright #1, Mateychuk #26, and Miroschinchenko at #33 

14 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

At the time Steve Tambellini was GM and I think Lowe was President of Hockey Operations so I guess they put their heads together and decided Yakupov was the guy.  And of course they rushed Yakupov which didn't help. 

The story I read was while deciding on the pick, most scouts and Tambellini himself wanted Murray.  Lowe, as president of hockey ops, told them to pick Yakupov, vetoing the entire staff.

I dont think many folks really 2nd guessed picking Yakapov at the time (maybe Brian Burke i suppose), did they?

Then he had 18pts 22gms as rookie in KHL & 17g 33pts in 48gms as rookie NHL in 2012-13.

Just another good looking USA kid who might look good in a Hab jersey; 

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2022/06/01/rutger-mcgroarty-scouting-report-2022-nhl-draft/

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/6/5/23149772/rutger-mcgroarty-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-rankings-usntdp-captain-centre

Could they pick his kid? Would seem a tough call, even if he was next available on their draft board.

https://theathletic.com/3348998/2022/06/03/inside-the-canadiens-jack-hughes-interview-the-most-awkward-at-the-nhl-combine/

"So when Northeastern University centre Jack Hughes walked into the Montreal Canadiens’ interview room in Buffalo on Wednesday, one of 26 interviews he had but by far the most awkward, general manager Kent Hughes immediately got up to leave. Canadiens co-director of amateur scouting Martin Lapointe was having none of it. He grabbed Kent — his boss — and dragged him back in the room. Then they asked Jack if he wanted his dad to sit in on their interview.

“Not really,” was his answer. “Not necessarily.” "

Inside the Canadiens-Jack Hughes interview, the most awkward at the NHL combine

1 hour ago, DON said:

Could they pick his kid? Would seem a tough call, even if he was next available on their draft board.

https://theathletic.com/3348998/2022/06/03/inside-the-canadiens-jack-hughes-interview-the-most-awkward-at-the-nhl-combine/

"So when Northeastern University centre Jack Hughes walked into the Montreal Canadiens’ interview room in Buffalo on Wednesday, one of 26 interviews he had but by far the most awkward, general manager Kent Hughes immediately got up to leave. Canadiens co-director of amateur scouting Martin Lapointe was having none of it. He grabbed Kent — his boss — and dragged him back in the room. Then they asked Jack if he wanted his dad to sit in on their interview.

“Not really,” was his answer. “Not necessarily.” "...

An interesting dilemma ... he is rated by various sources from #20 to #69 ... I would hate to pass on him JUST because he is Kent's son if he is the best value pick at any point. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

An interesting dilemma ... he is rated by various sources from #20 to #69 ... I would hate to pass on him JUST because he is Kent's son if he is the best value pick at any point. 

Agree. And I like that Hughes wanted to leave the room when he son walked in - it shows a strong instinct for professionalism. That probably would not have occurred to a lot of the old-school hockey guys of yesteryear. Even the admirable Bob Gainey drafted his own kid.

I do think it’s tricky, though. If you’re the GM’s kid, there will always be questions: are you getting favoured treatment? Are coaches or even teammates treating you differently? Etc. It might be more straightforward and healthier for him to be drafted by another franchise.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed, Dad Hughes almost seems too worried about perceived nepotism. If Jack is BPA, take him 

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree. And I like that Hughes wanted to leave the room when he son walked in - it shows a strong instinct for professionalism. That probably would not have occurred to a lot of the old-school hockey guys of yesteryear. Even the admirable Bob Gainey drafted his own kid.

I do think it’s tricky, though. If you’re the GM’s kid, there will always be questions: are you getting favoured treatment? Are coaches or even teammates treating you differently? Etc. It might be more straightforward and healthier for him to be drafted by another franchise.

I agree with this too though, at least he’s cognizant of it. IMO the best thing would just be to acknowledge the elephant in the room and be transparent. If he’s the best choice, you take him 

3 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

The story I read was while deciding on the pick, most scouts and Tambellini himself wanted Murray.  Lowe, as president of hockey ops, told them to pick Yakupov, vetoing the entire staff.

I heard that Katz (owner) wanted Yakupov

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

My list is up to 36 now.  

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2022-nhl-entry-draft-headquarters/

I'd love to see the home run swings, a guy like Miroschinchenko to fall, or a Brad Lambert or Conor Geekie who seem to be falling to land to us.  Another one I love who i see ranked later than I have him is Mateychuk. 

Position wise, Seamus Casey, Elias Salomonsson, Ty Nelson, Ryan Chesley would be good fits for us at Right D.

I'd also love any of the 4 Djurgardens kids.  I really like what they are doing in development. Its like drafting a kid from the London Knights or something.  Leave the kid in Sweden for two more years with their development program and then bring him to North America at 20.  You know that Djurgardens is going to do a good job developing their game. 

Thanks, I have seen Mateychuk ranked all over the place. It will be an interesting draft for sure as there seems to be a wide variance in opinion on a lot of players, Lambert has sure fallen from where he was a year ago but I guess that is going to happen sometimes as they all don't develop at the same pace and a year can make a big difference. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

An organization is in trouble if they start listening to an owner on who to draft. 

I agree.  But all of this is 20/20 hindsight and we need a grain of salt on all these stories.  The people involved all seem to be throwing someone else under the bus.

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I agree.  But all of this is 20/20 hindsight and we need a grain of salt on all these stories.  The people involved all seem to be throwing someone else under the bus.

True. The drafting and development of Yakupov was an embarrassment for the Oilers and nobody wants to take the blame on that one. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

True. The drafting and development of Yakupov was an embarrassment for the Oilers and nobody wants to take the blame on that one. 

I think development also played

a huge role. He did score 17 goals in a shortened season. I think the constant coaching changes the oilers had back than, and lack of leadership and direction probably didn’t help. 

some young players can still succeed and overcome organizational leadership/direction issues. others crumble, and aren’t able to learn he lesson that there natural skill on its own isn’t going to help them succeed.

Habs Mgmt also played a similar role in the failure in the development of Galchenyuk, Mete and than KK.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

some young players can still succeed and overcome organizational leadership/direction issues. others crumble, and aren’t able to learn he lesson that there natural skill on its own isn’t going to help them succeed.

I definitely agree on this point. The Oilers were in a constant state of flux and that didn't help at all. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Habs Mgmt also played a similar role in the failure in the development of Galchenyuk, Mete and than KK.

One of those players has no business being there.  Mete was a fourth-round pick that few expected to make the NHL.  He's not a development failure; he just was close to his developmental peak when he reached the NHL.  That happens, especially when he doesn't have a 'projectable' frame that needs refinement and time to fill out. 

Just now, dlbalr said:

One of those players has no business being there.  Mete was a fourth-round pick that few expected to make the NHL.  He's not a development failure; he just was close to his developmental peak when he reached the NHL.  That happens, especially when he doesn't have a 'projectable' frame that needs refinement and time to fill out. 

I agree Mete, didn’t have the same same projectable frame, since he was a lower round pick. But he also had no business being where the habs put him in the depth chart on D. He shouldn’t have been playing the type of minutes he was, it against the competition he was. He was not ready and should not have been put on a first or second line pairing on D for as long as he was.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I agree Mete, didn’t have the same same projectable frame, since he was a lower round pick. But he also had no business being where the habs put him in the depth chart on D. He shouldn’t have been playing the type of minutes he was, it against the competition he was. He was not ready and should not have been put on a first or second line pairing on D for as long as he was.

I was not beyond attributing hockey decisions to publicity stunts during the MB era. Mete came up right after the disastrous 2016-17 season and was a sensational media story - ‘exciting rookie surpasses expectations and makes the Habs! Rookie sensation paired with Shea Weber takes first-pairing minutes!’ Etc. I suspect that part of the motivation was of the ‘hey look over here!!’ variety: giving the fanbase hope and deflecting attention from management’s failures. 

Something similar may have gone on with KK, a nearly identical situation: horrible season, follow it up by throwing a rookie ‘sensation’ to the fans, watch the negative narrative turn into something positive.

My guess is that the laughably limp offer sheet on Aho was another version of the same thing.

Maybe I’m getting cynical in my dotage, but…I’m still not convinced these weren’t considerations.

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I was not beyond attributing hockey decisions to publicity stunts during the MB era. Mete came up right after the disastrous 2016-17 season and was a sensational media story - ‘exciting rookie surpasses expectations and makes the Habs! Rookie sensation paired with Shea Weber takes first-pairing minutes!’ Etc. I suspect that part of the motivation was of the ‘hey look over here!!’ variety: giving the fanbase hope and deflecting attention from management’s failures. 

Something similar may have gone on with KK, a nearly identical situation: horrible season, follow it up by throwing a rookie ‘sensation’ to the fans, watch the negative narrative turn into something positive.

My guess is that the laughably limp offer sheet on Aho was another version of the same thing.

Maybe I’m getting cynical in my dotage, but…I’m still not convinced these weren’t considerations.

At the end of the day, I think one word certainly applies to Bergevin - Ego

I think that may be one thing that kept MB from being being very good instead of just competent.

I even think his love for stay at home d men might have come from the fact that he himself was a stay at home d man. 

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree with the probable motivations.

I look at the Rangers right now and hope Gorton can develop the same kind of core with the habs. We are going to have a lot of young players coming in. Hopefully we don’t put dumb expectations on them, or annoying them as saviours.  Just let them develop, and preach patience to the media and fans.  Rangers didn’t take long to turn things around. We do have the baggage of some ugly contracts that will be hard to move, and won’t have the same quality of free agents lining up to sign with us, but we do have also already have some good young prospects.

just got to do a much better job developing them and the guys we will be drafting.

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think you are getting cynical. The Habs don't need publicity stunts to fill the building, MB was smart enough to know that.  Keeping KK and Mete up as 18 year olds were just poor hockey decisions. 

Mete was kept up because the Habs lost Markov and Streit was not capable of replacing him, and they needed a puck moving defenceman. 

Was he rushed? maybe. 

Was he ever going to be a top 4 defenceman?  Probably not IMO.  

42 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

With the benefit of hindsight, bumping up that offer sheet to a point where the Canes would not match would have cost us both Guhle and Mailloux, two of our best D prospects, plus Mysak. And we would still not be a contender (even without the deadine trades) with the loss of Weber and Price.

Aho would be great, but in two years (potentially good timing for us) we could take a run at Teravainen. Not the finisher that Aho but a super setup guy. And he might be available for zero picks and prospects -- thanks to the Canes being saddled with the Kotkaniemi contract.

• Like 1