2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

51 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

With the benefit of hindsight, bumping up that offer sheet to a point where the Canes would not match would have cost us both Guhle and Mailloux, two of our best D prospects, plus Mysak. And we would still not be a contender (even without the deadine trades) with the loss of Weber and Price.

Aho would be great, but in two years (potentially good timing for us) we could take a run at Teravainen. Not the finisher that Aho but a super setup guy. And he might be available for zero picks and prospects -- thanks to the Canes being saddled with the Kotkaniemi contract.

Its impossible to say.  Would Aho have been enough to beat Tampa last year?  Or would his contract have meant we never sign Toffoli and we miss the playoffs entirely? Would those picks have been at the same spots in the draft order? Does Aho on the team mean we don't have first overall now? Its hard to game this all out, too many unknowns.   

The reality is that Bergevin gambled that Dundon wouldn't want to pay, or wasn't liquid enough to pay, those bonuses.  The offer sheet was never about the AAV, it was about structure and bonuses.  His bet was a bad one, as Dundon easily matched it. 

That's really the analysis without getting into the picks. 

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/souvent-il-a-fallu-que-je-me-force-pour-aller-voir-wright-jouer-1.15902535

" “I cannot guarantee anything (for the choice of CH). But Martin Lapointe, it's impossible for Wright to be his kind of player, impossible... It can't be that Martin Lapointe, after seeing Wright, leaves the arena, being excited and saying 'Ayoye how good it is! He plays with drive and he has character. »

On the other hand, some rumors suggest that Nick Bobrov exerts a greater influence than Lapointe even if the two wear the hat of co-director of recruiting. "

Stoke the debate, if is one.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:57 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

I don;t remember clearly, but if I remember correctly I was replying to some else saying that they were not going to have the european combine.

I would not make that up

I just went back, I though Don knew. I was wrong

The Athletic is reporting this morning that the Habs will hold a European combine in mid-June.

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The Athletic is reporting this morning that the Habs will hold a European combine in mid-June.

You tha man, Don!

thank goodness for The Athletic giving us more details this summer

Thank You GIFs - 100 Animated Images With Caption

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Interesting, Slafkovsky is not second, or even third in Scott Wheeler's final rankings:

1. Wright
  2. Nemec
  3. Cooley
  4. Savoie
  5. Slafkovsky

Hes not in my top 3 either.

He played well for like 4 weeks this year .. the hlinka, the olympics, and the world championship.

He was pretty ordinary in Finland

For me it’s Wright, then Cooley/Nemec a wash at 2. I’m the furthest thing from an expert so I wouldn’t know who to go then between nazar, Slaf, Kemell, Gauthier, Yurov, Savoie.. Honestly top 10 is pretty nice. 

Mateychuk being a personal favourite that probably won’t go top 10

26 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

For me it’s Wright, then Cooley/Nemec a wash at 2. I’m the furthest thing from an expert so I wouldn’t know who to go then between nazar, Slaf, Kemell, Gauthier, Yurov, Savoie.. Honestly top 10 is pretty nice. 

Mateychuk being a personal favourite that probably won’t go top 10

Never know. I think the habs took Kostitsyn 10th in one of the deepest draft ever, and he was supposed to have  slid to to health concerns (epilepsy??)

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Never know. I think the habs took Kostitsyn 10th in one of the deepest draft ever, and he was supposed to have  slid to to health concerns (epilepsy??)

Oh it wouldn't shock me for a second if a GM loved Mateychuk and he went near that 10 range. Also wouldn't shock me to see him fall around the 20 area. Fairly unpredictable draft IMO

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Saying it is one of the deepest drafts ever  is an understatement. After Montreal took him at 10, you had Jeff Carter at 11, Dustin Brown at 13, Brent Seabrook at 14, Zack Parise at 17, Ryan Getzlaf at 19, Brent Burns at 20, Ryan Kessler at 23, Mike Richards at 24, Brian Boyle at 26, Corey Perry at 28.  Has there ever been a better 1st round?  Then you had Bergeron and Weber in the 2nd round.  Nashville built their defense in this draft (Suter and Weber).  It can be done. 

To take it a step further, in the 2001 NHL draft, 3 guys from that draft year played 1,000 games in the NHL. In the 2002 draft, 3 guys played 1,000 games in the NHL. In the 2004 draft, 4 guys played 1,000 games in the NHL. 

From the 2003 NHL draft there were 12 guys that played 1,000 games in the NHL + Brayden Coburn at 983 and Marc Andre Fleury at 939 + Brian Boyle at 871.  So you could say that half the guys drafted in the 1st round played at least 871 games in the NHL. Pretty amazing. 

48 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Saying it is one of the deepest drafts ever  is an understatement. After Montreal took him at 10, you had Jeff Carter at 11, Dustin Brown at 13, Brent Seabrook at 14, Zack Parise at 17, Ryan Getzlaf at 19, Brent Burns at 20, Ryan Kessler at 23, Mike Richards at 24, Brian Boyle at 26, Corey Perry at 28.  Has there ever been a better 1st round?  Then you had Bergeron and Weber in the 2nd round.  Nashville built their defense in this draft (Suter and Weber).  It can be done. 

Yep. We need to have a draft like the 2007 draft even - only this time don’t trade away the first pick.

ckuld have had Markov-McDonough-Subban for thr first part of the last decade and McDonough-Subban-Sergechev after that.

7 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yep. We need to have a draft like the 2007 draft even - only this time don’t trade away the first pick.

ckuld have had Markov-McDonough-Subban for thr first part of the last decade and McDonough-Subban-Sergechev after that.

If we had McDonaugh and Subban, how would we get Sergachev as we wouldnt pick that high.

16 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The draft coming up is a huge opportunity.  Let's hope they get it right or maybe Wright, I don't know who they should take but they can't mess this one up. A replay of 2007 is good with me. 

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If we had McDonaugh and Subban, how would we get Sergachev as we wouldnt pick that high.

Never know. You can still have a down year or two. Lightning had what the 3rd or 4th pick that they used to Drouin, long after drafting Stamkos and Hedman and most of their their current core.

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Never know. You can still have a down year or two. Lightning had what the 3rd or 4th pick that they used to Drouin, long after drafting Stamkos and Hedman and most of their their current core.

Never know but the chances of everything playing out exactly the same ans the down year happening at the same time are slim to none.

Change the mcdonaugh trade and you change everything.  Butterfly effect.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The draft coming up is a huge opportunity.  Let's hope they get it right or maybe Wright, I don't know who they should take but they can't mess this one up. A replay of 2007 is good with me. 

image.jpeg

Can always make a smart choice and teenager still ends up derailed by serious injuries, concussions, or illness.

So bit of good luck always helps... or it could be Habs29 crapping on Hughes for next 20 years after Nemec wins a Norris, Cooley hits 100+points and Wright is sidelined with 'something' and dosent pan out great. :spamafote:

1 hour ago, DON said:

Can always make a smart choice and teenager still ends up derailed by serious injuries, concussions, or illness.

So bit of good luck always helps... or it could be Habs29 crapping on Hughes for next 20 years after Nemec wins a Norris, Cooley hits 100+points and Wright is sidelined with 'something' and dosent pan out great. :spamafote:

Fudge, Don!

Don't Jinx the kid.

Why bring up the curse? Habs' prospect seem to be sidelined with 'something' more often than not

Well the guess the Habs get the Oilers's 2nd round pick this year.  The 1st 3 rounds look like the following:

Round 1  -  1, 26

Round 2 -  33, 62

Round 3 -  66,75,92

In Round 4 they have Tampa and the Rangers pick so that is yet to be decided. Lot's of currency to trade up. 

34 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Why bring up the curse? Habs' prospect seem to be sidelined with 'something' more often than not

CURSE, come on. What next, you saying some athletes are clutch players! :P

Just now, DON said:

CURSE, come on. What next, you saying some athletes are clutch players! :P

Boson, Geoffrion, Crisp, Juulsen, Ikonen, Brook, Evans has had multiple concussions and now Norlinder has had a couple of concussions

Add Pacioretty, Eller, Price, Markov twice, Bournival, etc.

Since the Habs moved from the old forum, they have been cursed

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Since the Habs moved from the old forum, they have been cursed

I say BS, all teams have same stuff happen.

Same as "Habs always get screwed by the refs!" All teams fans say same thing when bad call or three happen against their team.

38 minutes ago, DON said:

Same as "Habs always get screwed by the refs!" All teams fans say same thing when bad call or three happen against their team.

The Habs DO get screwed by the refs!

so does every other team…..

Best refs in the world, eh Bettman 🤔

1 hour ago, DON said:

I hope you are right, but only time will tell