2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Best refs in the world, eh Bettman 🤔

Did you happen to watch any of the Worlds last month?  When Bettman says that in relation to other hockey referees, he's not wrong.  The validity of his statement was on full display in that tournament.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Did you happen to watch any of the Worlds last month?  When Bettman says that in relation to other hockey referees, he's not wrong.  The validity of his statement was on full display in that tournament.

I didn’t watch but that is sad to hear. 

Why is reffing so poor?

From The Athletic

Basu and Godin: Canadiens information was floating around at the NHL Combine. Here’s what we heard.

...Having said that, here are some of the things we heard about the Canadiens over the course of five days spent at the NHL Scouting Combine.

"The debate at the top of the draft is very real."

"...Teams are welcome to watch this portion of the testing, but we were told the only ones who watched the whole thing were the Florida Panthers... — the Seattle Kraken, and the Canadiens.

When U.S. NTDP centre Logan Cooley took the VO2 max test, we were told the Canadiens came away impressed by his competitive spirit. "

"Our sense is they would much rather use that ammunition to move up in the first round and go after a player they really want as opposed to continuing to throw a bunch of darts at the board."

48 minutes ago, DON said:

"Our sense is they would much rather use that ammunition to move up in the first round and go after a player they really want as opposed to continuing to throw a bunch of darts at the board."

I think that is what we are hoping for. 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I didn’t watch but that is sad to hear. 

Why is reffing so poor?

The game is fast and reffing is way harder than the average fan thinks.  And it just keeps getting faster

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The game is fast and reffing is way harder than the average fan thinks.  And it just keeps getting faster

I would agree, way easier when you are fan watching on TV from 10 different angles in super slo motion.  Like any Habs fan I get a little ticked off when a bad call goes against us but they tend to even out over a season.  The ability to review plays has also made a big difference. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 11:13 AM, dlbalr said:

Combine results (top 25 by category) can be found here for those interested:

https://link.nhl.com/centralscouting/public/

Just like Jayden Struble,  I bet that a Bergevin-Timmins duo would have been all over Brennan Ali.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

That doesn’t explain refs not calling something when it happens friggin right in front of them. That happens way too often, or then trying to “manage a game”, or “let them play”, either of which can change by the time you sneeze.

11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That doesn’t explain refs not calling something when it happens friggin right in front of them. That happens way too often, or then trying to “manage a game”, or “let them play”, either of which can change by the time you sneeze.

Agree, and don’t forget The Code ‘logic’ whereby some players are allowed to get away with things and others aren’t, because the former are considered Good Guys who either ‘play the right way’ or else because they don’t yap at the refs. Shea Weber was a Good Guy who got away with ridiculous amounts of interference and cross-checking; Alex Burrows was a ‘weasel’ whom the refs had a vendetta against. Heck, just listen to that dummy Ron McLean talk about reffing: it is not about calling rules, it is about personal feelings, preferences, and relationships, and to his mind that is 100% OK and normal, because the refs themselves are ‘good guys.’

There is a deep-seated culture of arbitrariness and favouritism in NHL discipline, running all the way from the linesmen up to the misnamed Office of Player Safety. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The refs have done far less of the "let them play" in this year's playoffs than in the past. 

Reffing eh, boring stuff.

Is equally bad for all, hasnt ever really changed and likely will be inconsistent again next season. Likley wont impact the draft, but I could be wrong?

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/6/6/23152673/david-goyette-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-highlights-rankings-skills

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, DON said:

I don't think you are wrong. 

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree, and don’t forget The Code ‘logic’ whereby some players are allowed to get away with things and others aren’t, because the former are considered Good Guys who either ‘play the right way’ or else because they don’t yap at the refs. Shea Weber was a Good Guy who got away with ridiculous amounts of interference and cross-checking; Alex Burrows was a ‘weasel’ whom the refs had a vendetta against. Heck, just listen to that dummy Ron McLean talk about reffing: it is not about calling rules, it is about personal feelings, preferences, and relationships, and to his mind that is 100% OK and normal, because the refs themselves are ‘good guys.’

There is a deep-seated culture of arbitrariness and favouritism in NHL discipline, running all the way from the linesmen up to the misnamed Office of Player Safety. 

Agreed. Everytime McLean opens his mouth, I wonder how he lasted so long? I can’t stand when that guy talks about reffing depending on feel, or how he used to ref.

juat call according to the friggin rule book!!!  It’s as bad as judges who don’t uphold the friggin law and are more concerned about the hardships and unfairness for a prisoner, rather than justice for the victim.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

The refs have done far less of the "let them play" in this year's playoffs than in the past. 

Agreed. But that could change in the next round. Even then lots of major missed calls. How was Kane not assessed a game misconduct?

Corey Pronman (The Athletic) had a different prospect ranking from the usual one posted today: ranking prospects based strictly on their ceilings, not on floor or probability of reaching that ceiling.

1. Cooley
  2. Slafkovsky
  3. Gauthier
  4. Wright
  5. Miroshnichenko
  6. Jiricek
  7. Nemec
  8. Yurov
  9. Bichsel
  10. Savoie
  11. Nyman
  12. Dolzhenkov
  13. Kasper
  14. Zhilkin
  15. Bystedt

I disagree entirely.  

Wright has the highest ceiling. 

A ceiling of a 95-100 point centre with selke level defence (ceiling, not necessarily likely to be reached) is the highest ceiling in the draft.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I disagree entirely.  

Wright has the highest ceiling. 

A ceiling of a 95-100 point centre with selke level defence (ceiling, not necessarily likely to be reached) is the highest ceiling in the draft.

I don't agree or disagree as I am no scout and scouting is not an exact science anyway as trying to determine how much more development there is in an 18 year old is tough. I just hope the Habs pick the right guy whether that's Wright or someone else. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't agree or disagree as I am no scout and scouting is not an exact science anyway as trying to determine how much more development there is in an 18 year old is tough. I just hope the Habs pick the right guy whether that's Wright or someone else. 

Yeah definitely not an exact science. This one by Pronman is good for a laugh. Love #1 and #16 made me almost choke on the list of tanking 2012-2014 if they players were in the same draft:

https://www.espn.com/blog/nhl-draft/insider/post/_/id/568

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah definitely not an exact science. This one by Pronman is good for a laugh. Love #1 and #16 made me almost choke on the list of tanking 2012-2014 if they players were in the same draft:

https://www.espn.com/blog/nhl-draft/insider/post/_/id/568

good post from 2014, At the time Drouin showed promise and Chucky was trending up :)

Draft is not an exact science, and development can ruin a prospect much more often than help them elevate their game.

I like this bit on Clague, I hope the new development dept. can help him attain his potential:

image.png

7 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Very detailed analysis on Wright from earlier in the year. 

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/nhl-blog/ohl-2022-nhl-draft-shane-wright-c-kingston-frontenacs/

I would be very happy with either Luneau or Rinzel at 26.

is size the reason Ty Nelson is rated so differently between rankings?