2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

Nelson seems to be ranked in 2nd round by most.

Small d-man, good offense; but assume he defends more like Wideman and that must be his weakness or questionmarks?

Commandant likely better to say.

Ranked #83 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM

Ranked #35 by FCHOCKEY

Ranked #34 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE.

Ranked #46 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY

Ranked #32 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON

Ranked #32 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

Ranked #29 by RECRUIT SCOUTING

Ranked #20 by DOBBERPROSPECTS

Ranked #26 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY

Ranked #35 by SMAHT SCOUTING

Ranked #16 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY

11 minutes ago, DON said:

Nelson seems to be ranked in 2nd round by most.

Small d-man, good offense; but assume he defends more like Wideman and that must be his weakness or questionmarks?

Commandant likely better to say.

Ranked #83 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM

Ranked #35 by FCHOCKEY

Ranked #34 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE.

Ranked #46 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY

Ranked #32 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON

Ranked #32 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

Ranked #29 by RECRUIT SCOUTING

Ranked #20 by DOBBERPROSPECTS

Ranked #26 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY

Ranked #35 by SMAHT SCOUTING

Ranked #16 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY

here is @Commandant's scouting report:

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2022/05/31/ty-nelson-scouting-report-2022-nhl-draft/

54 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

This comment reminds me of Nate "The Great" Beaulieu.

"The limited backwards skating makes him vulnerable to speedy forwards on the rush and Nelson often has to turn and move forward to continue to defend..."

37 minutes ago, DON said:

This comment reminds me of Nate "The Great" Beaulieu.

"The limited backwards skating makes him vulnerable to speedy forwards on the rush and Nelson often has to turn and move forward to continue to defend..."

Ha haaaa, that sounds like me trying to play D in rec hockey

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

I disagree entirely.  

Wright has the highest ceiling. 

A ceiling of a 95-100 point centre with selke level defence (ceiling, not necessarily likely to be reached) is the highest ceiling in the draft.

There’s been this weird level of undervaluing Wright’s potential just cause it doesn’t seem as high as high 15 year old season showed. People went from him being the next 120 point guy, to now people like Pronman almost seeming to suggest his ceiling is around 70 points. There’s almost this “oh he’s a solid second line centre” vibe with some people. 

The one positive is expectations on him will be more tempered. Hopefully it all lights a fire under him and he proves everyone wrong. 

36 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

There’s been this weird level of undervaluing Wright’s potential just cause it doesn’t seem as high as high 15 year old season showed. People went from him being the next 120 point guy, to now people like Pronman almost seeming to suggest his ceiling is around 70 points. There’s almost this “oh he’s a solid second line centre” vibe with some people. 

The one positive is expectations on him will be more tempered. Hopefully it all lights a fire under him and he proves everyone wrong. 

for this draft, even if he turns out to "only" being a 70-point 2-way center: that would be a pretty good one-two punch with Suzuki. Specially if we add another point producing winger to Caufield.

Suzuki is still developing and may be just fine as the 1a with Wright being a very good 1b

No other projected top-5 draft pick has such a pedigree

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

for this draft, even if he turns out to "only" being a 70-point 2-way center: that would be a pretty good one-two punch with Suzuki. Specially if we add another point producing winger to Caufield.

Suzuki is still developing and may be just fine as the 1a with Wright being a very good 1b

No other projected top-5 draft pick has such a pedigree

Exactly.  I'm in the camp that has Wright closer to that 70-point range on average but that's still a very key NHL player, especially if the two-way game comes along as expected.  Suzuki's signed for eight years and Wright will be under control for seven.  Even if you wind up with two '1B' guys, that's still better than a lot of teams have long term and would more or less solve the dearth of impact centres in this organization that has basically gone on longer than this message board has (a little over 19 years).  That's still a strong outcome.

• Like 1

Habs holding private combines in Stockholm and Brossard

Apparently Nathan Gaucher was one of the attendees

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Of the guys at the top.of the draft hes the only one who didnt play in 2020-21.

I think hes a year behind in his development compared to the rest and once he catches up there will be big gains.

I think his potential is really high though there is no guarantee he hits it 

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Gaucher is a late first/early second candidate.  He missed the combine cause quebec was still playing in the Q playoffs.

He is my favourite pick at #31 #33, if the Habs do not move up in at the draft and trade that pick.

Edited by alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Exactly.  I'm in the camp that has Wright closer to that 70-point range on average but that's still a very key NHL player, especially if the two-way game comes along as expected.  Suzuki's signed for eight years and Wright will be under control for seven.  Even if you wind up with two '1B' guys, that's still better than a lot of teams have long term and would more or less solve the dearth of impact centres in this organization that has basically gone on longer than this message board has (a little over 19 years).  That's still a strong outcome.

Doesn't that (70-point, effective two-way centre) pretty much describe Bergeron? And who would turn down drafting someone of that calibre?

I want Wright for sure. Im thinking him and Suzuki as our version of Bergeron and Krejci. Just need to find a young Lucic copy and a behemoth on defence. 😁

Just now, Dalhabs said:

I want Wright for sure. Im thinking him and Suzuki as our version of Bergeron and Krejci. Just need to find a young Lucic copy and a behemoth on defence. 😁

Lucic...UGGGGGGG, he helped the Habs win so many games over Boston, i dont think i would want a braindead guy like him wearing a Habs jersey.

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Yes to be more clear, I actually see Wright as more of a 70 point guy as well, but I just don’t think that’s his absolute ceiling. 

I’d be very happy with a 70 point 2 way center. I just find the discussion surrounding his ceiling very strange, and almost biased against him. 

3 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I want a Pasternak and McAvoy. Want nothing to do with that Ape. Last time Mgmt tried to go that path, we wasted a first rounder on McCarron.

Peters take on these two.

Are they plodding kids who will never have NHL speed? And Hughes said he wants quick roster, so kinda hoping they dont take a liking to these 2, if footspeed is a real issue for these two 205lbers.

18. Rutger McGroarty, RW, U.S. National Under-18 Team (NTDP)

McGroarty has got the size, he’s got the work ethic, the character and goal-scoring ability to be a long-term impact player. The main drawback in his game is his footspeed, which is definitely a concern among NHL sources. But it’s hard to ignore the impact he makes on a game-to-game basis, whether it’s with his physicality or his goal-scoring. He’s not a towering player, but wins most of his battles in the hard areas of the ice. While he has an elite shot and can score from distance or off the one-timer, his net-front play is where he’ll make his money in the NHL. He has good enough skill to finish plays with regularity and the hockey sense makes up for the concerns I see with his footspeed. 

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

19. Conor Geekie, C, Winnipeg ICE (WHL)

Poor skating is the biggest thing holding Geekie back from being one of the top-tier talents in this draft. It’s a big issue, but I think he makes up for it with his intelligence. Say what you want about his feet, but the puck is around him an awful lot. He puts himself in good positions, is aggressive enough to win puck battles and has the size to dominate in a lot of the tough areas of the ice. His hands are good enough to keep the opposition honest and he can drive the middle of the ice as well as anyone in this draft. I think Geekie could go higher than I have him here, but the skating continues to be my most fervent concern. That said, I still think all the other tools make him especially worthy of a first-round grade. 

22 minutes ago, DON said:

Peters take on these two.

Are they plodding kids who will never have NHL speed? And Hughes said he wants quick roster, so kinda hoping they dont take a liking to these 2, if footspeed is a real issue for these two 205lbers.

18. Rutger McGroarty, RW, U.S. National Under-18 Team (NTDP)

McGroarty has got the size, he’s got the work ethic, the character and goal-scoring ability to be a long-term impact player. The main drawback in his game is his footspeed, which is definitely a concern among NHL sources. But it’s hard to ignore the impact he makes on a game-to-game basis, whether it’s with his physicality or his goal-scoring. He’s not a towering player, but wins most of his battles in the hard areas of the ice. While he has an elite shot and can score from distance or off the one-timer, his net-front play is where he’ll make his money in the NHL. He has good enough skill to finish plays with regularity and the hockey sense makes up for the concerns I see with his footspeed. 

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

19. Conor Geekie, C, Winnipeg ICE (WHL)

Poor skating is the biggest thing holding Geekie back from being one of the top-tier talents in this draft. It’s a big issue, but I think he makes up for it with his intelligence. Say what you want about his feet, but the puck is around him an awful lot. He puts himself in good positions, is aggressive enough to win puck battles and has the size to dominate in a lot of the tough areas of the ice. His hands are good enough to keep the opposition honest and he can drive the middle of the ice as well as anyone in this draft. I think Geekie could go higher than I have him here, but the skating continues to be my most fervent concern. That said, I still think all the other tools make him especially worthy of a first-round grade. 

I guess the key questions with such players are (a) do Habs see the possibility for such players to upgrade their skating (perhaps a kinesiologist would have some input) and (b) do such players "play fast" (e.g., quick release, make proper decisions quickly, move puck well) to offset a lack of foot-speed ... full disclosure ... for absolutely no particular reason Connor Geekie has long intrigued me as a possible pick.

4 hours ago, DON said:

These edgelords not having Wright at the top 🙄 

Sometimes I wonder if they just do it for clicks. I understand there isn’t as clear of a #1 this year, but imo there isn’t much to deliberate. I have a pretty strong conviction the Habs will take Wright. 

Hearing rumbles the Habs could great aggressive at the draft with the rest of their picks. Hope HuGo and the scouts are dialed in on a few gems and in 5 years it looks like the McDonaugh/Pacioretty/Subban draft 

25 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I guess the key questions with such players are (a) do Habs see the possibility for such players to upgrade their skating (perhaps a kinesiologist would have some input) and (b) do such players "play fast" (e.g., quick release, make proper decisions quickly, move puck well) to offset a lack of foot-speed ... full disclosure ... for absolutely no particular reason Connor Geekie has long intrigued me as a possible pick.

I guess that's always the big question is determining how much more development there is with an 18 year old, especially ones who need to upgrade their skating as there is no more important skill.  Some guys peak earlier than others. 

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

[…]

Hearing rumbles the Habs could great aggressive at the draft with the rest of their picks. Hope HuGo and the scouts are dialed in on a few gems and in 5 years it looks like the McDonaugh/Pacioretty/Subban draft 

That Habs core never won together. 
If Hugh-Gort delivers as advertised, I want the same as the current cup contending NYR

Is it Hughes final call..simply with some input from LaPointe/Bobrov/Gorton/Amateur scouts. Or, is it:  if Gorton likes Nemec more than Wright, would Hughes defer to his choice? 

Does Gorton's track record as GM in NYC, really matter much? I really not sure what his role is?