2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

14 minutes ago, DON said:

Is it Hughes final call..simply with some input from LaPointe/Bobrov/Gorton/Amateur scouts. Or, is it:  if Gorton likes Nemec more than Wright, would Hughes defer to his choice? 

Does Gorton's track record as GM in NYC, really matter much? I really not sure what his role is?

I believe there will be a lot of consultation, a lot. But I also think the final decision will be made by Hughes. 

7 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I believe there will be a lot of consultation, a lot. But I also think the final decision will be made by Hughes. 

it was reported on this forum that Brobov seems to have the ear of Hugh-Gort more than LaPointe. I suppose there will be lots of discussion preparing the lists going into the draft... but on draft days I would not be surprised if it was Hughes' call with input from Gorton-Brobov-(the rest) in that order

12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

it was reported on this forum that Brobov seems to have the ear of Hugh-Gort more than LaPointe. I suppose there will be lots of discussion preparing the lists going into the draft... but on draft days I would not be surprised if it was Hughes' call with input from Gorton-Brobov-(the rest) in that order

I tend to agree ... I'm not surprised Brobov may have more sway than Lapointe ... he was a HuGo hire ... Lapointe is a carryover who may be let go after the draft ... there was just no point replacing him when Gorton or even Hughes was hired as the scouting process was well underway and Lapointe had relationships with all the scouts ... a newbie would have had too much catching up to do.

Habs have three 4th round picks, maybe a WHL d-man, poor on defense but with some offense (Wideman like) is worth a shot if still available.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/6/4/23081357/mats-lindgren-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-rankings-puck-moving-left-defenceman

14 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

it was reported on this forum that Brobov seems to have the ear of Hugh-Gort more than LaPointe. I

I think that to be more prices, it was speculated on this forum that Bobrov has the ear of Hugo more than Lapointe, because he's a Hugo hire. We don't really know -- Lapointe has kept his job, too, when many others were swept out. And we really won't know, either, unless one of them is fired or promoted, as not much info leaks out about the scouting and prospect discussions.

1 minute ago, DON said:

This kid played well vs Guhle in last game. X-large physical winger

https://whl.ca/players/28334 ...

Seems to be ranked as a late 2nd/early 3rd round prospect.

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think that to be more prices, it was speculated on this forum that Bobrov has the ear of Hugo more than Lapointe, because he's a Hugo hire. We don't really know -- Lapointe has kept his job, too, when many others were swept out. And we really won't know, either, unless one of them is fired or promoted, as not much info leaks out about the scouting and prospect discussions.

this is one of the articles I had read where recruiters were consulted about what the Habs may do and one of them said that there are rumours about Bobrov having the ear of Hugh-Gort

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/souvent-il-a-fallu-que-je-me-force-pour-aller-voir-wright-jouer-1.15902535?fbclid=IwAR2Q5FrZK0SLAdsl1srwHqJAswNcvl5STPvzO99n28EQhLbRm0oL7kTLfXs&fs=e&s=cl

and this is another

https://www.danslescoulisses.com/recrutement-nick-bobrov-aurait-plus-dinfluence-que-martin-lapointe-chez-le-ch/

Edited by alfredoh2009

Someone's stab at Habs picks

https://cheeringthelogo.ca/2022/06/09/mock-draft-v-2-montreal-canadiens/

Pick Round Name Ht Wt Pos GP G A Pts
1 1 Juraj Slafkovsky 6’4 225 LW 70 32 64 94
26* 1 Ryan Chesley 6’0 194 RD 91 19 30 49
33 2 Danny Zhilkin 6’2 183 C 66 23 32 55
62* 2 Sam Rinzel 6’4 190 RD 66 15 49 64
65 3 Topi Ronni 6’2 187 C 76 20 38 58
74* 3 Noah Warren 6’5 214 RD 62 5 19 24
92* 3 Jordan Dumais 5’9 165 RW 68 39 70 109
98 4 Vinzenz Rohrer 5’10 163 RW 70 26 27 53
127* 4 David Spacek 6’0 170 RD 78 14 52 66
129* 4 Logan Morrison 6’0 179 C 75 48 83 131
131 5 Connor Kurth 5’11 214 RW 62 35 46 81
162 5 Daniil Ivanov 6’4 209 LD 47 9 21 30
194 6 Miguel Tourigny 5’8 172 RD 65 31 49 80
217 7 Adam Mechura 6’4 198 LW 59 58 32 90

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Not there yet. We still have another 3 1/2 weeks to analyze Shane Wright. It might get tiresome. 

The analyzing won't stop there - once the pick is made, there will plenty of time for even more over analysis.

12 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

True, I am almost more interested to see what they do with picks 26 and 33.  

I just hope out of a combo of; Pick #33, Calgary's 1st, Florida's 1st and Habs 2023 1st rounder, they can manage one impact top six/top 4-d...either in draft, or in a trade for one.

31 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

True, I am almost more interested to see what they do with picks 26 and 33.  

I wonder if with their 2nd round pick they should take the top available goaltender.  I mean we see what a team can do with a top goaltender and what it can't with just an average goaltender. So at the 33rd pick i would go top available goaltender and with the 26th pick top available player. 

There are few high-ranked goalies in this draft -- Wheeler didn't rank a single one in this top 100 -- so picking one at 33 would likely be a big reach. And goalies are voodoo anyway.

We also have Primeau, Dobes, Vrbetic and Dichow, who might (or might not) make it to NHL starter. And there are basically only four goalie spots to be had between Laval and TR.

35 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I wonder if with their 2nd round pick they should take the top available goaltender.  I mean we see what a team can do with a top goaltender and what it can't with just an average goaltender. So at the 33rd pick i would go top available goaltender and with the 26th pick top available player. 

There is no goalie worth the 33rd pick.

Heck there might not be a goalie worth Edmonton's second rounder. 

25 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

There are few high-ranked goalies in this draft -- Wheeler didn't rank a single one in this top 100 -- so picking one at 33 would likely be a big reach. And goalies are voodoo anyway.

We also have Primeau, Dobes, Vrbetic and Dichow, who might (or might not) make it to NHL starter. And there are basically only four goalie spots to be had between Laval and TR.

Yes, likely the earliest they would take a goalie is with one of their 3rd or 4th round picks. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

I just hope out of a combo of; Pick #33, Calgary's 1st, Florida's 1st and Habs 2023 1st rounder, they can manage one impact top six/top 4-d...either in draft, or in a trade for one.

Lets draft Wright and then trade him to TB for Sergachev because we need D more than C atm.  🤪

This draft does not have depth on defence.

Obviously there are a few but this draft has far more forwards than defencemen.

The defencemen that are there beyond say jiricek, nemec and Mateychuck, mintyukov and korchinski all have big flaws as well.  The good puck movers lack size and the good defenders lack puck skills 

One intriguing guy who has size and puck skills is Sam Rinzel (who i published today).  Hes very good (both offensively and defensively) in the transition game.  But he is lost when a team has a stretch of possession either in the offensive or defensive zone.  

Now this is explainable by the fact he played high school hockey except for 25 games in the USHL... so he has very little experience playing with and against other good players.  Hes basically never been challenged before this.  

I havent seen his games in highschool but seeing his talent and the way he is willing to carry the puck and get deep in the offensive zone as well as how hes good defending in transition tells me that he had the puck the majority of time he was on the ice at lower levels.  He knows what to do when he has the puck or when he is defending an opponent who has the puck... but he needs a lot of coaching away from the play.  

I wouldnt mind taking a chance on him at some point if the other D are gone cause at least there is upside but hes a project too.