2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

How bout a Peter Popovic sized Swiss d-man?

Elite Prospects: #26
FCHockey: #25
McKeen’s: #41
Bob McKenzie (TSN): #35
NHL Central Scouting: #9 (European Skaters)
Corey Pronman (The Athletic) #15
Scott Wheeler (The Athletic): #51

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/6/15/23158166/lian-bichsel-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-rankings-highlights-size-big-defenceman

53 minutes ago, DON said:

How bout a Peter Popovic sized Swiss d-man?

Elite Prospects: #26
FCHockey: #25
McKeen’s: #41
Bob McKenzie (TSN): #35
NHL Central Scouting: #9 (European Skaters)
Corey Pronman (The Athletic) #15
Scott Wheeler (The Athletic): #51

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/6/15/23158166/lian-bichsel-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-rankings-highlights-size-big-defenceman

Depends where he would be drafted ... the write-up doesn't lead one to hope for much offence contribution (not just referring to goals/points) so doesn't seem to fit a priority for the rebuilding d-corps ... but switching countries and earning ice-time in one of the best leagues in the world is impressive ... maybe Oilers 2nd or somewhere in the 3rd (or a trade up with some lower picks) ... if he is available.

37 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Depends where he would be drafted ... the write-up doesn't lead one to hope for much offence contribution (not just referring to goals/points) so doesn't seem to fit a priority for the rebuilding d-corps ... but switching countries and earning ice-time in one of the best leagues in the world is impressive ... maybe Oilers 2nd or somewhere in the 3rd (or a trade up with some lower picks) ... if he is available.

The more I hear, he could go late first.  If you want him, I think you need to take him in the top 40 for sure. 

He's probably the best defensive dman in the draft, but not sure his offence. 

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

McCarron was a lousy pick. If you are going to go for a home run, go for a highly skilled player, that may have dropped. I hate when we have reached on guys that have below average skill and cant skate, but have size - like a McCarron or Tinordi.

I agree, skill and skating ability are so important in today's NHL.  Besides, they will have Arber to take care of the rough stuff. 

https://theathletic.com/3359533/2022/06/16/2022-nhl-draft-skill-ranking/

Pronman catagories top 3:

Best skaters

Brad Lambert, RW, Pelicans-Liiga

Denton Mateychuk, LHD, Moose Jaw-WHL

Ryan Healey, RHD, Sioux Falls-USHL

Best puck skills

Logan Cooley, C, U.S. NTDP-USHL

Danila Yurov, RW, Magnitogorsk-KHL

Isaac Howard, LW, U.S. NTDP-USHL

Best hockey sense

Lane Hutson, LHD, U.S. NTDP-USHL

Shane Wright, C, Kingston-OHL

Most physically dominant players

Jack Sparkes, RHD, St. Michael’s-OJHL

Maveric Lamoureux, RHD, Drummondville-QMJHL

Kirill Dolzhenkov, RW, CSKA-MHL

Best shots

Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Djurgarden-SHL

Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, Avangard-VHL

Cutter Gauthier, C/LW, U.S. NTDP-USHL

8 hours ago, DON said:

https://theathletic.com/3359533/2022/06/16/2022-nhl-draft-skill-ranking/

Pronman catagories top 3:

Best skaters

Best puck skills

Danila Yurov, RW, Magnitogorsk-KHL

Isaac Howard, LW, U.S. NTDP-USHL

Best hockey sense

Lane Hutson, LHD, U.S. NTDP-USHL

Shane Wright, C, Kingston-OHL

Most physically dominant players

Jack Sparkes, RHD, St. Michael’s-OJHL

Maveric Lamoureux, RHD, Drummondville-QMJHL

Kirill Dolzhenkov, RW, CSKA-MHL

Best shots

Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Djurgarden-SHL

Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, Avangard-VHL

Cutter Gauthier, C/LW, U.S. NTDP-USHL

It’s strange to me they don’t have Wright listed at all for top skaters, when he outperformed the #2 guy Mateychuk at the CHL skills comp.

I guess it’s perceived he isn’t a great skater because he didn’t demonstrate his explosivity in game. 

His skating is probably underrated 

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

It’s strange to me they don’t have Wright listed at all for top skaters, when he outperformed the #2 guy Mateychuk at the CHL skills comp.

I guess it’s perceived he isn’t a great skater because he didn’t demonstrate his explosivity in game. 

His skating is probably underrated 

OR ... looking to be "different/contrarian" to attract clicks

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

OR ... looking to be "different/contrarian" to attract clicks

I doubt he wrote it for this reason, but who knows?

6 minutes ago, DON said:

I doubt he wrote it for this reason, but who knows?

Yea I don’t think many are purposefully contrarian besides for cheap writers who aren’t necessarily worried about their reputation.

however, I can’t help but feel a subconscious underrating of Wright’s overall skills

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

62 | Topias Leinonen | G | JYP (U20 SM-sarja) | 6-5 | 234 lbs | Catches: L

Colin Hunter: In my eyes, Leinonen is the top goaltender in this class. He has the size and most of the technical ability to succeed professionally. Spending most of his year in Finland’s U20 league, he posted a .916 save percentage, good for third among U18 goaltenders. Leinonen plays a very strong positional game, adjusting to the play seamlessly. However, his movements aren’t as smooth as they could be, and he will have to clean up his footwork to succeed at the next level.

85 | Tyler Brennan | G | JYP (U20 SM-sarja) | 6-5 | 234 lbs | Catches: L

Colin Hunter: Another big goalie at 6-4, Brennan moves extremely well for his size. Although his numbers this year in the WHL don’t wow you (.899 save percentage in 39 games), Brennan is a pleasure to watch as a scout due to his smooth skating and athleticism. His positional decision-making and tracking will need some work, but it’s hard to teach the out-of-the-box saves that Brennan is capable of.

15 hours ago, Meller93 said:

4 of his top 5 didnt play in CHL prospects game.

Calle Odelius, LHD, Djurgarden-Sweden Jr.

Michael Fisher, RHD, St. Mark’s-US High School

Commandant on his skating;

"Skating

Wright’s skating has seemed to get better as the OHL season has gone on. In testing at the CHL Top Prospects Game, Wright was amongst the top five prospects in most of the skating tests. He has a very good first step and his acceleration is top-notch. He also has very good top-end speed. Wright can change speeds to push the pace on the rush, or he can control the puck and slow things down. His ability to change speeds allows him to fool defenders in one-on-one situations. He also has the lateral agility to get around defenders, both with and without the puck. Wright shows good balance and has been able to fight through hooks, holds and other extra attention that he receives at the junior level. There is room to add muscle to his frame though, so he can be even better in future years."

32 minutes ago, DON said:

"Skating

Wright’s skating has seemed to get better as the OHL season has gone on. In testing at the CHL Top Prospects Game, Wright was amongst the top five prospects in most of the skating tests. He has a very good first step and his acceleration is top-notch. He also has very good top-end speed. Wright can change speeds to push the pace on the rush, or he can control the puck and slow things down. His ability to change speeds allows him to fool defenders in one-on-one situations. He also has the lateral agility to get around defenders, both with and without the puck. Wright shows good balance and has been able to fight through hooks, holds and other extra attention that he receives at the junior level. There is room to add muscle to his frame though, so he can be even better in future years."

The more I read, the more convinced I am Wright will be the guy the Habs pick. He does have a big frame and he weighed in at 198 at the combine I think.  He can easily be 205-210 when he fills out and with great balance and smarts he can be a force.  I don't think the Habs can go wrong picking Wright but again, I am no scout.

• Like 1

I just learned that my cousin's math teacher is Shane Wright's mom.  

I really hope he's the pick.... a signed jersey will be a good addition to the man cave. (Of course I'd buy the jersey). 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DON said:

4 of his top 5 didnt play in CHL prospects game.

Calle Odelius, LHD, Djurgarden-Sweden Jr.

Michael Fisher, RHD, St. Mark’s-US High School

Commandant on his skating;

"Skating

Yea a lot of strong skaters in Europe or USHL. My only point was Mateychuk was his #3, while Wright didn’t even make the list despite finishing higher overall in skating then Mateychuk at the skills comp.

I also love Mateychuk for the record! 

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

I also love Mateychuk for the record! 

All seem to agree he should be a pretty good NHL d-man.

But, this Mintyukov seems as intriguing, as does a 61pts in 65gms Korchinski, for what Habs are lacking in the system anyways, top pairing offensive d-men.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/5/26/23064162/kevin-korchinski-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-ranking-defenceman-whl-seattle

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/6/13/23159718/pavel-mintyukov-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-ranking-aggressive-playstyle-defence

Just seem are lots of tantalizing targets to pick from, if trading up into top 1/2 of 1st round.

Or simply wait and take a Lane Hutson or Ty Nelson in 2nd round?

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/5/30/23136934/ty-nelson-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-stats-scouting-defence-skating-ohl-report-rankings

Our management team seems like diligent, serious types, unlike Riverboat Gambler Bergevin. To my mind, that means their analysis will align with that of the great majority of scouts and that they will draft Wright. Really fine by me.

1 hour ago, DON said:

All seem to agree he should be a pretty good NHL d-man.

But, this Mintyukov seems as intriguing, as does a 61pts in 65gms Korchinski, for what Habs are lacking in the system anyways, top pairing offensive d-men.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/5/26/23064162/kevin-korchinski-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-ranking-defenceman-whl-seattle

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/6/13/23159718/pavel-mintyukov-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-ranking-aggressive-playstyle-defence

Just seem are lots of tantalizing targets to pick from, if trading up into top 1/2 of 1st round.

Or simply wait and take a Lane Hutson or Ty Nelson in 2nd round?

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/5/30/23136934/ty-nelson-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-stats-scouting-defence-skating-ohl-report-rankings

I don’t think Hutson would fall to our late picks, but he could fall to the 40’s. 

if we could pick up a 40’s pick in a Petry deal I think that could be great value 

49 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Our management team seems like diligent, serious types, unlike Riverboat Gambler Bergevin. To my mind, that means their analysis will align with that of the great majority of scouts and that they will draft Wright. Really fine by me.

Yes. They cannot afford to have the #1 pick to be a bust, and Wright has clearly the highest floor (a 2C with solid defence at worst) of any of the prospects.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Yes. They cannot afford to have the #1 pick to be a bust, and Wright has clearly the highest floor (a 2C with solid defence at worst) of any of the prospects.

That's the way I look at it. I think at worst Wright will be a good 2C which is not bad  for the worst case scenario. I think the last paragraph below in the previous report sums it up pretty well. His floor his high but his ceiling could be huge if he continues to develop. How much more development he has in him is always the big unknown. 

"He may not be the most dynamic, game-breaking talent in the class but Wright’s well-rounded game and potential as a lethal finisher give him a pretty safe floor as a top-six pivot who can play in all situations. If he continues to add pace to his game and he reaches his offensive ceiling, he has all the makings of a franchise player down the middle."

7 hours ago, Meller93 said:

I don’t think Hutson would fall to our late picks, but he could fall to the 40’s. 

if we could pick up a 40’s pick in a Petry deal I think that could be great value 

Hutson's rankings are all over the place.  If he was 5'10 he'd be a first rounder, but a 5'8" defenceman? He could fall further than we expect. 

57 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hutson's rankings are all over the place.  If he was 5'10 he'd be a first rounder, but a 5'8" defenceman? He could fall further than we expect. 

Have you heard the rumour that he had his bone-age tested and it suggests he has a good bit of growing left?

If he has a late growth spurt he could end up at 5’10 or even 5’11 anyway. 

I'm personally a fan of this type of home run swing