2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

On 6/24/2022 at 1:51 PM, GHT120 said:

I suspect that *** IF *** the Russian invasion of Ukraine plays any role it may be more for players playing in Russia than for those who created some sense of separation by already coming to North America.

Definitely agree, although I remember reading some anonymous executive saying something like "we won't be picking any Russians." I assume that would be with the caveat a guy like Yurov doesn't slips to the 3rd round or something silly. By that he likely means if for example Yurov and Howard are both available, he goes with Howard even if Yurov has the higher upside.

In 5-6 years I bet we see a number of major steals in this draft. Let's hope we're one of those teams!

Just had a thought about Wright and his potential.

We often hear about his IQ, positioning, etc being elite. But coupled with this is that his skating wasn’t shown off as much as it could have been - sometimes he didn’t have to skate much because he was already in position. But we sometimes hear questions about his intensity on ice, likely because of this. 

However, when you do see bursts of his skating, you see it’s high-end, as evidenced by his top 5 finish in the skills comp as well. He also seems to be a highly motivated, driven and dedicated player. 

This leads me to believe that Wright has another gear, one that he didn’t activate often in the OHL as he was absorbing/learning the game on a position level. What if, when Wright combines the elite IQ and is forced to up his intensity (it’s the NHL after all), we see a whole new side of him, a turbo Wright.

This is all predicated on him having that extra gear/compete. But could he surprise next year with a more explosive element to his game?

Suzuki was also said to be not intense' enough or what not...kinda "Hoffman-like". But, i dont think Habfans need to worry about that myth anymore.

Could have two high hockey-IQ centres for next decade.:pray:

Big bad Jughead Bob's scouts-poll draft ranking coming out in an hour... who will be #1.

I would wager alot it is Wright with most of 1st place scout choices.

11 minutes ago, DON said:

Suzuki was also said to be not intense' enough or what not...kinda "Hoffman-like". But, i dont think Habfans need to worry about that myth anymore.

Could have two high hockey-IQ centres for next decade.:pray:

Big bad Jughead Bob's scouts-poll draft ranking coming out in an hour... who will be #1.

I would wager alot it is Wright with most of 1st place scout choices.

I thing I wonder about with Wright is whether there is still a lot more development to come because he missed an entire year of playing?  Makes me think we haven't seen the best yet. 

I don't get as excited about Mackenzie's rankings as some people. I wonder why a scout that is getting paid by an NHL team would divulge all their secrets?  Unless they are trying to throw people off?  

19 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I thing I wonder about with Wright is whether there is still a lot more development to come because he missed an entire year of playing?  Makes me think we haven't seen the best yet. 

We shall see this fall how Wright does on a rebuilding Habs team.

20 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't get as excited about Mackenzie's rankings as some people. I wonder why a scout that is getting paid by an NHL team would divulge all their secrets?  Unless they are trying to throw people off?  

Not sure am "excited" about his ranking, but seems pretty good benchmark, been putting it out there for a long time and seem most do go in 1st round every year.

Not divulging secrets, is anonymous i am pretty sure, so 'likely' fairly candid honest answers.

21 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Bob has Slaf at 1. I’m not convinced personally. Not that I don’t like Slafkovsky, I just see Wright at 1

There is certainly a lot to like about Slafkovsky, size and great skill. I am just glad that I don't have to make the selection. The gap between Wright and Slafkoksky has obviously narrowed considerably. 

24 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There is certainly a lot to like about Slafkovsky, size and great skill. I am just glad that I don't have to make the selection. The gap between Wright and Slafkoksky has obviously narrowed considerably. 

I guess for me it’s still a no-brainer Wright. I’m not an expert so maybe I’m completely wrong. IMO Wright is in a different tier than the rest.

6 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I guess for me it’s still a no-brainer Wright. I’m not an expert so maybe I’m completely wrong. IMO Wright is in a different tier than the rest.

Certainly Wright's floor is significantly higher. And the Habs really can't afford to miss on this pick. Picking the second-best player may be OK, but picking someone who turns out to be a bottom-six forward would be a disaster.

34 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Certainly Wright's floor is significantly higher. And the Habs really can't afford to miss on this pick. Picking the second-best player may be OK, but picking someone who turns out to be a bottom-six forward would be a disaster.

I agree that  Wright is the safe pick, they won't be criticized if he turns out to be a good 2 way center and they can't afford to mess this one up.  I just have this gut feeling that Hughes is not about making the "safe" pick and it wouldn't shock me if he took Slafkovsky.  I have no doubt that they have done a ton of homework on this.  I have confidence that Hughes will make the right decision as everything he has done so far has been well thought out. 

https://www.tsn.ca/juraj-slafkovsky-shane-wright-bob-mckenzie-nhl-draft-ranking-1.1818585

"There are, however, two points worth noting.

One, if you were to survey another group of 10 scouts, you could very well end up with the same 5-4 split, but in favour of Wright. It’s really that tight in the eyes of so many scouts.

Two, this “consensus” ranking has nothing to do with the preference of the team — the Montreal Canadiens — that is picking first overall. Club order of draft selection is not a factor in our survey of scouts and TSN’s ranking of players."

But, I just didnt figure majority with see him as better. Interesting.

Who will be pick #26/33, if dont trade up. Lots of promising options there. 

image.png

• Upvote 1

I think all of this TSN draft rankings is to drum up more interest in the draft.  It happens every year where they try to muddy the pick order for drama.  The exceptions are the generational talent years.  

Wright will go first, Cooley likely will go 2nd and Slafkovsky will “fall” to 3rd.  Anything after that will be a crap shoot as typically the draft ranking outside the top 3 get jumbled.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Who will be pick #26/33, if dont trade up. Lots of promising options there. 

There seem to be, interesting that Mateychuk dropped to 24, many had him much higher.  For me, what the Habs do with the other picks is as interesting as who they pick with #1.  

29 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I think all of this TSN draft rankings is to drum up more interest in the draft.

Ya think!!   TSN relies on ratings like any other TV network/show.   A lot of people have jobs because there are a lot of hockey fans. 

19 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There seem to be, interesting that Mateychuk dropped to 24, many had him much higher.  For me, what the Habs do with the other picks is as interesting as who they pick with #1.  

I am still thinking Wright is a given at #1.

But, big question, will Hughes patiently wait and hope couple kids fall to 26; or does he ALREADY have a plan to do what he can to preemptively jump the cue and move up into the 10-20 range...or have a plan and partner GM to go all in for a top 5 pick?

15 minutes ago, DON said:

But, big question, will Hughes patiently wait and hope couple kids fall to 26; or does he ALREADY have a plan to do what he can to preemptively jump the cue and move up into the 10-20 range...or have a plan and partner GM to go all in for a top 5 pick?

I still think the Habs take Wright because he is a center but I am not totally convinced they will. 

I agree with the big question.  Decisions to trade up are usually  me made on the fly because you really don't know who will fall until they start announcing names.  I think Hughes will lay a lot of groundwork ahead of time and I am sure he has a list of guys they will target if they drop. It will be an interesting day for sure. 

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I still think the Habs take Wright because he is a center but I am not totally convinced they will. 

https://post.futurimedia.com/chumam/playlist/listen-37069.html

worth a listen, Big Bobby on the top two kids and stuff.

Wonder when the top 2 goalies will get taken, might it be worth the late 2nd or early 3rd pick to take the big Finn or WHL tender? He has them ranked 62 & 71.

10 hours ago, DON said:

Wonder when the top 2 goalies will get taken, might it be worth the late 2nd or early 3rd pick to take the big Finn or WHL tender? He has them ranked 62 & 71.

I think a lot depends on their current assessment of Dichow, in particular, as that significantly impacts the situation in the goalie prospect pipeline.

16 hours ago, DON said:

The more I look the more I think a really nice prospect will already fall to 26. There so many potential “fallers” who I think would be great there. 

If for example one of Ohgren, Mateychuk, Miroschnichenko, Howard or Mesar is there at 26, I think you have an awesome value pick. 

Wright 1st

Ohgren 26th

Mesar 33rd

Kyrou 62nd

Hutson 66th

Would be an insane draft if some potential “fallers” fell into our lap 

51 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

The more I look the more I think a really nice prospect will already fall to 26. There so many potential “fallers” who I think would be great there. 

Ohgren 26th Pickering (lh-d)

Mesar 33rd   Firkus (rw)

Kyrou 62nd   Nelson (rh-d)

Hutson 66th Brennan (6'4" g)

Yup, seem lots of good options to pick from for sure, maybe similar to most years i suppose?

Or if trade up; Wright1; Lambert? 20 for (26,62 to Caps)...

Seems like Lambert could "fall" but has some elite skills, they say.

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Yup, seem lots of good options to pick from for sure, maybe similar to most years i suppose?

Or if trade up; Wright1; Lambert? 20 for (26,62 to Caps)...

Seems like Lambert could "fall" but has some elite skills, they say.

Certainly a possibility. I’d be ok with taking that risk. Some people still see Lambert as a top 3 talent 

4 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Certainly a possibility. I’d be ok with taking that risk. Some people still see Lambert as a top 3 talent 

Hughes wants a fast team, so skating i assume will be key, vs an XL kid like Geekie-McGroarty or Lamoreux-Bichsel (who may skate well "for a big man" ;but, simply not ever be fleet of foot).