2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

43 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

After trading Kevin Fiala,  Minnesota now has 2 picks in the 1st round (19,24), a potential trade up partner?   Maybe Ryan Poehling can go back home as part of any deal. 

You mean trade picks to Minni or pick & roster player.

Minni is kinda a contender arnt they?

The draft is a total  gamble. If slavofski and wright are neck and neck, my thought is you draft Wright. Draft for need when they are that close. The current analysis could very well turn out to be wrong. It often is, but that's just how it goes when you draft at this age. 

37 minutes ago, DON said:

You mean trade picks to Minni or pick & roster player.

Minni is kinda a contender arnt they?

They are a contender. They will certainly miss Fiala's offense.  Maybe Drouin for a year?   LOL  Not quite sure what they are looking for either. 

25 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

They are a contender. They will certainly miss Fiala's offense.  Maybe Drouin for a year?   LOL  Not quite sure what they are looking for either. 

Cheap talent.  They're adding $8M in extra dead cap space from the Parise/Suter buyouts for next season (the buyout cost varies) which is what forced this Fiala trade.  Drouin or other guys like that would be of no interest to them.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Cheap talent.  They're adding $8M in extra dead cap space from the Parise/Suter buyouts for next season (the buyout cost varies) which is what forced this Fiala trade.  Drouin or other guys like that would be of no interest to them.

Good point. The dead cap space is really going to hurt them.  Drouin is not what they are looking for. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Wrights versus Slafkovsky, one scouts opinion. He really likes Slafkovsky. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhz_uuuuJ9s&t=1009s

Interesting thought , Habs trade down a spot, Devils may well just want a winger for Hughes. Habs get an extra pick or a 2023 draft pick, plus...and they still Get Wright at 2...

If ever there was  year to do it would be now...especially with whom is rated Number 1 in 2022.

13 hours ago, HabsWEST said:

Interesting thought , Habs trade down a spot, Devils may well just want a winger for Hughes. Habs get an extra pick or a 2023 draft pick, plus...and they still Get Wright at 2...

If ever there was  year to do it would be now...especially with whom is rated Number 1 in 2022.

Unless it's a blockbuster, I don't see the Habs trading out of #1 overall when the draft is in Montreal. I think they take Wright as most have expected.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, huzer said:

Unless it's a blockbuster, I don't see the Habs trading out of #1 overall when the draft is in Montreal. I think they take Wright as most have expected.

Agree. I think this is all understandable, but pointless, internet/media chatter. Nothing unexpected is going to happen relative to the #1 pick.

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree. I think this is all understandable, but pointless, internet/media chatter. Nothing unexpected is going to happen relative to the #1 pick.

BUT, after wright is taken...how will it play out for the new kids in Montreal? Will they try and make huge splash, trade up in draft, ship out Petry and/or Anderson and picks to move up, or add a young prospect & picks for 2023?

1 minute ago, DON said:

BUT, after wright is taken...how will it play out for the new kids in Montreal? Will they try and make huge splash, trade up in draft, ship out Petry and/or Anderson and picks to move up, or add a young prospect & picks for 2023?

Valid questions! Of course, the action needn’t occur at the draft itself. But I’m sure we’ll see some interesting moves in the coming weeks and months. They just won’t centre on the #1 pick (Wright), that’s all.

4 hours ago, DON said:

I think the Habs will definitely be in play beyond the 1st pick. Should be a fun 1st round to watch. Only a week to go!

Love it!!!!

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/jun-2022/habs-looking-for-another-top-10-pick

Garrioch reports Canadiens GM Kent Hughes has reached out to the other nine teams in the top-10 about the price tag on acquiring one of their draft picks, and TFP’s David Pagnotta later reported Hughes is actively looking to make a draft-related move.

14 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

of course.. Wright is the logical choice all things considered and being a C.

WHAT IF, off 1st pick to NJ for their 2nd pick..they pick the big winger and Habs still get WRIGHT...plus..

what if ( and this would happen,,..PIPE DREAM, Devils flip or give up the 2023 FIRST..( thinking Bedard ) ) than its a no brainer...

at end of day I will be surprised Wright isnt a HAB

26 minutes ago, HabsWEST said:

of course.. Wright is the logical choice all things considered and being a C.

WHAT IF, off 1st pick to NJ for their 2nd pick..they pick the big winger and Habs still get WRIGHT...plus..

what if ( and this would happen,,..PIPE DREAM, Devils flip or give up the 2023 FIRST..( thinking Bedard ) ) than its a no brainer...

at end of day I will be surprised Wright isnt a HAB

Like probably many here I WANT Wright to be the best player available because he is a center and it would be such a good fit to have 2 really good young centers. I just have this nagging feeling that Hughes is not convinced he is the best player and that he is looking real hard at Slaf.  There is a lot to like about Slaf, potential to be a real beast on the wing. 

The chance (although it is a nice dream) of getting the Devils 1st next year is pretty slim. Teams know who is available and you don't want to be that GM who gave up the opportunity to get Bedard or Michkov. 

No doubt that Hughes is working real hard to get another pick (as mentioned earlier) but teams won't let them go easily especially if it's top 10.  

Things will really heat up next week. Should be real interesting for Habs fans. Looking forward to it. 

https://theathletic.com/3386202/2022/06/30/canadiens-could-have-option-to-draft-noah-warren-to-go-alongside-an-offensive-minded-defenceman/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

The kid stood out in Top Prospects game.

Strictly on the defensive end, long reach and strong kid.,,but is he quick enough for pro hockey or Hughes "new-Look" Habs?

Canadiens could have option to draft Noah Warren to go alongside an offensive-minded defenceman

"...Unlike the forward, however, the 17-year-old has made his home as a defenceman. While he has played on the left and right side in junior, Warren is a natural right-side defenceman. His statistics might not jump off the page (he had five goals and 24 points in 62 games with the Gatineau Olympiques this past year in the QMJHL), but the 6-foot-5, 224-pound defender’s best assets are his skating — he spent over a decade working with power skating coach Nathaniel Marx — his physical nature that sees him crushing opposing players along the boards, and his ability to defend at even strength and on the penalty kill..."

Will these 2 make up at Habs rookie camp?

https://theathletic.com/3391555/2022/06/30/nhl-mock-draft-seven-rounds/

FWIW.
Pronman crystal ball picks (wildass guesses) for draft, with no trades.

He has Habs picks as:

"1. Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, TPS (FINLAND)
26. Liam Ohgren, LW, Djurgarden Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
33. Tristan Luneau, RHD, Gatineau (QMJHL)
62. David Goyette, C, Sudbury (OHL)
66. Dylan James, LW, Sioux City (USHL)
75. Fraser Minten, C, Kamloops (WHL)
92. Mason Beaupit, G, Spokane (WHL)
98. Vinzenz Rohrer, C, Ottawa (OHL)
127. Angus Booth, LHD, Shawinigan (QMJHL)
128. Lucas Edmonds, RW, Kingston (OHL)
130. Tyson Dyck, C, Cranbrook (BCHL)
162. Michael Schnattinger, G, Brno Jr. (CZREP-JR.)
194. Grayden SIepmann, RHD, Calgary (WHL)
216. Bogdans Hodass, LHD, Medicine Hat (WHL)"

Seems too many CHLers to make sense, but not reality i suppose, as no NHL team ever picked 14 kids in a draft, record is 13 and wont be broken this year.

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/06/entry-draft-an-opportunity-to-reshape-prospect-pool/

https://theathletic.com/3394042/2022/07/01/canadiens-no-1-pick-maple-leafs-ilya-mikheyev/?source=emp_shared_article

"Maybe. Or maybe the Devils are just praying Slafkovsky is still there at No. 2 and want everybody to think they’re OK taking a centre at No. 2.

That’s the poker game of the days that precede the first round of the draft.

I believe the Habs would listen on the top pick in that specific scenario of falling back just one spot, depending on the other asset(s) included by the Devils in a trade."