2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Maybe HuGo will shock us all and trade #1?

I’m happy that the draft is in 6 more days and we can draft Wright and put and end to the speculation 

Hughes has to juggle a lot of balls over next couple weeks...with #1 pick, draft pick swapping gonna happen (wont pick 14 kids), Petry, free agent Goalie market maybe, off-loading Hoffman, Byron or Armia, big deal involving Anderson perhaps?

39 minutes ago, DON said:

https://theathletic.com/3394042/2022/07/01/canadiens-no-1-pick-maple-leafs-ilya-mikheyev/?source=emp_shared_article

"Maybe. Or maybe the Devils are just praying Slafkovsky is still there at No. 2 and want everybody to think they’re OK taking a centre at No. 2.

That’s the poker game of the days that precede the first round of the draft.

I believe the Habs would listen on the top pick in that specific scenario of falling back just one spot, depending on the other asset(s) included by the Devils in a trade."

It is a poker game. No GM with half a brain is going to tip their hand and lessen their bargaining position.  It is such a waste of time for any reporter to ask Hughes who he is going to pick.

Bit of a depressing read.https://www.tsn.ca/juraj-slafkovsky-shane-wright-bob-mckenzie-nhl-draft-ranking-1.1818585 Not only are none of these guys “locks” to be first-liners, but it sounds like there is considerable risk of picking the wrong guy no matter who you take. Wright and Slafovsky could both evolve as semi-equal players, but if one surpasses the other, the team that picked the other guy could be frustrated by that for years to come. 

“It’s a peculiar draft year,” said one NHL team head scout. “Neither one of them [Slafkovsky or Wright] are locks to be first-line players in the NHL. I’m not saying one or the other couldn’t become first liners, they’re both good prospects, but unlike a lot of years, this draft doesn’t have any great prospects. There are no slam dunks. There are things I like about both guys, but I have some reservations, too.”

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Bit of a depressing read.https://www.tsn.ca/juraj-slafkovsky-shane-wright-bob-mckenzie-nhl-draft-ranking-1.1818585 Not only are none of these guys “locks” to be first-liners, but it sounds like there is considerable risk of picking the wrong guy no matter who you take. Wright and Slafovsky could both evolve as semi-equal players, but if one surpasses the other, the team that picked the other guy could be frustrated by that for years to come. 

“It’s a peculiar draft year,” said one NHL team head scout. “Neither one of them [Slafkovsky or Wright] are locks to be first-line players in the NHL. I’m not saying one or the other couldn’t become first liners, they’re both good prospects, but unlike a lot of years, this draft doesn’t have any great prospects. There are no slam dunks. There are things I like about both guys, but I have some reservations, too.”

That same article said Slafkovsky is the best chance of becoming a 1st line player.  With every draft there’s risk.  The fact the Wright was granted exceptional status in the CHL and has produced well, while developing a solid defensive game as a center, should be a strong indication that he will be a 1st line forward unless he decides to channel his inner Yakupov.

I will point out there are never guarantees with any draft.

51 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

That same article said Slafkovsky is the best chance of becoming a 1st line player.  With every draft there’s risk.  The fact the Wright was granted exceptional status in the CHL and has produced well, while developing a solid defensive game as a center, should be a strong indication that he will be a 1st line forward unless he decides to channel his inner Yakupov.

Does anyone know how many players actually apply for exceptional status and how many have been turned down? I read somewhere that only 5 had been granted exceptional status prior to Bedard. Of those only Day was a bust. But unlike Wright, or even Bedard next year, Day wasn’t ever considered to be a top pick anyways. 

im just wondering the scrutiny that goes into granting exceptional status and how many players get turned down from their request.

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Does anyone know how many players actually apply for exceptional status and how many have been turned down? I read somewhere that only 5 had been granted exceptional status prior to Bedard. Of those only Day was a bust. But unlike Wright, or even Bedard next year, Day wasn’t ever considered to be a top pick anyways. 

im just wondering the scrutiny that goes into granting exceptional status and how many players get turned down from their request.

isn't Joe Veleno one of them?

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/joseph-veleno

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not sure is limit on # applicants, likely any suitable kid can 'apply', but obvioulsy most not granted it. Here is a bit on it. 

https://kencampbell.substack.com/p/neutral-zone-crap-who-will-apply

12 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Ahhh, YES, with the 1st pick there is one.

IF Habs pick Wright and if ANY other kid from this years draft class becomes 'the' huge star. There will be 10,000,000 folks, with keen hindsight, ready to tell you I told you so.":D

7 minutes ago, DON said:

IF Habs pick Wright and if ANY other kid from this years draft class becomes 'the' huge star. There will be 10,000,000 folks, with keen hindsight, ready to tell you I told you so.":D

100%. I’ve said before - that mustn’t happen. Not with the #1 overall pick, chosen in Montreal, by an organization that has already blown two #3 overall picks in the past decade, and which really needs an impact player to propel the rebuild.

It would, however, be all too typical of the Habs since 1995 to pick the wrong guy. 

And for all that we can recognize the inherent uncertainty of drafting, the bottom line is that it is HughGort’s JOB to make the right call. If they pick a “merely decent” player while a heavy-duty star is picked afterward, they will wear it for years to come, and rightly so.

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

[...]

It would, however, be all too typical of the Habs since 1995 to pick the wrong guy. 

[...]

was Price, the "right guy"

52 minutes ago, DON said:

I would normally agree with the 1st pick producing a sure fire NHL player, but in recent memory Yakupov leaves a bad taste in everyone’s mouth.  Even thought Ryan Murray wasn’t anything special either, so that was the top 2 picks in that draft.

14 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I would normally agree with the 1st pick producing a sure fire NHL player, but in recent memory Yakupov leaves a bad taste in everyone’s mouth.  Even thought Ryan Murray wasn’t anything special either, so that was the top 2 picks in that draft.

Forsberg  was probably the best player from that 2012  draft year. I think he was rated in the top 5 at the start of the year and ended up falling to 11. So you really never know. For this year’s draft, Wright seemed to be the consensus pick, with Cooley as a potential dark horse.   Like the 2012 draft, we are picking high in a draft class that was probably the most impacted by Covid. Slafkovsky really did come out of nowhere, so I’d be a little leery of going with him.

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

So was Veleno denied exceptional status?

Interesting idea. Wheeler-Pronman pick best 2 teams.

https://theathletic.com/3386733/2022/06/29/2022-nhl-draft-superteam/

this is one (not a fan of centres choices at all for this one);

LW
C
RW
Juraj Slafkovsky
Cutter Gauthier
Joakim Kemell
Rutger McGroarty
Marco Kasper
Jonathan Lekkerimaki
Jiri Kulich
Conor Geekie
Ivan Miroshnichenko
Reid Schaefer
Luca Del Bel Belluz
Jimmy Snuggerud
LD
RD
Denton Mateychuk
Simon Nemec
Pavel Mintyukov
Lian Bichsel
Owen Pickering
Maveric Lamoureux

G
Topias Leinonen
Dylan Silverstein

33 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Forsberg  was probably the best player from that 2012  draft year. 

One 2012 redraft:

1.Vasilevski

2 Slavin (?)

3. Montreal: Morgan Rielly, LHD (2012 pick: 5th)

4 Hertle

5 Forsberg

3 hours ago, DON said:

One 2012 redraft:

1.Vasilevski

2 Slavin (?)

4 Hertle

5 Forsberg

IMO 
1. Vasilevski
2. Forsberg
3. Hertl
and I'm not sure who I'd go after that

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

No, he received it.

Thanks. I didn’t see him listed on the article I had read. They just had Tavares, ekblad, McDavid, Day, Wright, and that Bedard had been granted it.

any idea of how many tried, but were denied exceptional status designation?

5 hours ago, DON said:

One 2012 redraft:

1.Vasilevski

2 Slavin (?)

4 Hertle

5 Forsberg

Yeah, but a goalie rarely gets picked that high - unless you are Milbury. I agree that if you retail the best players from that class, Vasi is the best player.

but if you look at thr guys that were considered potential top picks, the year prior to the draft year, during the draft year and actual picks, I think Forsberg was the only one rated that high. If I remember correctly Reilly, was rated lower, but didn’t fall as much as Forsberg did during his draft year. I remember there was pretty much consensus on fail for Nail as the top pick, and than Murrey, Galchenyuk, Forsberg, and Grigerenko, that were being talked about the most. 

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

any idea of how many tried, but were denied exceptional status designation?

The ones that try and don't get it aren't often made public but I believe more have tried and been denied than those who have been approved.  No idea on how many that might be though.

13 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sounds like Kent is busy. It is certainly a good thing if there is interest in Petry. 

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/07/02/nhl-trade-nhl-source-gotta-give-it-to-kent-hes-creative-and-determined/

<<multiple teams are likely in the mix for defenceman Jeff Petry, who to this point has not rescinded his NHL trade request from back in December>>

thank you Jeff!

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

<<multiple teams are likely in the mix for defenceman Jeff Petry, who to this point has not rescinded his NHL trade request from back in December>>

thank you Jeff!

The one thing I expect to happen in the near future is a trade for Petry.  I still think Dallas is a logical destination IF they don't resign Klingberg.