2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

Pierre LeBrun reporting Montreal and New Jersey are in talks to swap picks. New Jersey wants Slafkovsky and are set at center.  New Jersey believes Montreal will pick his 1st if the picks aren’t swapped.  The hold up is Montreal is looking for a better deal from New Jersey.

Thursday is going to be interesting.

Interesting that Dvorak is mentioned as being the subject of a lot of chatter. It's also slightly odd, in that I could see him aging nicely as a #3 C behind Wright and Suzuki. Or else you just let him go in three years as a UFA and slot a cheaper young C into that role. As a placeholder to staunch the bleeding at C during the rebuild, he seems ideal: relatively affordable and reasonably versatile, with a contract of perfect length for that purpose. He'd be a weird player to trade.

5 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Pierre LeBrun reporting Montreal and New Jersey are in talks to swap picks. New Jersey wants Slafkovsky and are set at center.  New Jersey believes Montreal will pick his 1st if the picks aren’t swapped.  The hold up is Montreal is looking for a better deal from New Jersey.

Thursday is going to be interesting.

Imagine if Hugh-Gort actually wants Wright, but has convinced NJ that they're planning to take Slafvosky? Then they can extract assets from NJ for the pick, and get they guy they wanted all along at #2. That'd be a pretty sweet bit of poker playing.

I assume Hughes has seen and heard all he needs to on the top kids in the draft.

2 smart centres like Suzuki seems pretty tantalizing.

This “lack of effort” was also a criticism of Suzuki when he played in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), and like Suzuki, Wright plays the game using his hockey IQ to predict plays.

But, if the jumbo-sized winger 'seems' a better option to Hughes, or Cooley does, any of the three seems fine to me. Almost more curious how rest of draft plays out under new mgmt.

What may tip the Habs’ hand on who they’re targeting is the fact that, unlike Slafkovsky, it is known that Wright has also been in contact with head coach Martin St. Louis and advisor Vincent Lecavalier

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Imagine if Hugh-Gort actually wants Wright, but has convinced NJ that they're planning to take Slafvosky? Then they can extract assets from NJ for the pick, and get they guy they wanted all along at #2. That'd be a pretty sweet bit of poker playing.

That would be incredible 

Wheeler's survey.

https://theathletic.com/3353493/2022/07/02/nhl-draft-survey-2022/?source=emp_shared_article

'I conducted my most ambitious NHL Draft survey ever. 57 players. 16 NHL scouts. 52 coaches and GMs from across the OHL, QMJHL, WHL, USHL, SHL, Liiga, and more."

"I asked 57 prospects in the draft the following question: “Who is the most talented non-teammate you’ve played against in the class? Not necessarily the best, but the most talented.” "

1. Shane Wright (9)
2. Logan Cooley (7)

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t like that move. What guarantee is it that NJD wouldn’t turn around and draft Wright anyways, and go with a Hughes-Wright combo.

1 hour ago, DON said:

I assume Hughes has seen and heard all he needs to on the top kids in the draft.

2 smart centres like Suzuki seems pretty tantalizing.

This “lack of effort” was also a criticism of Suzuki when he played in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), and like Suzuki, Wright plays the game using his hockey IQ to predict plays.

But, if the jumbo-sized winger 'seems' a better option to Hughes, or Cooley does, any of the three seems fine to me. Almost more curious how rest of draft plays out under new mgmt.

What may tip the Habs’ hand on who they’re targeting is the fact that, unlike Slafkovsky, it is known that Wright has also been in contact with head coach Martin St. Louis and advisor Vincent Lecavalier

I can see him wanting Cooley. Habs Mgmt seem to have more ties to USA program. Slafkovsky seems more of a gamble. We can’t afford another miss after flubbing two # 3 picks in a 5 or 6 year period.

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Do you have a link for that?  Thanks 

This is where that comes from: https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-nhl-entry-draft-free-agency-montreal-canadiens-edmonton-oilers-johnny-gaudreau-1.1819746

There are some who believe that Montreal is waiting to see if the Devils make a move closer to the first round in terms of picking up the phone and asking Montreal what it would take to flip the No.1 and No. 2 picks so that the Devils can make sure they can get their hands on winger Juraj Slafkovsky.

To be clear, LeBrun isn't reporting this as it is in fact happening as many seem to be thinking.  It's a hypothetical some around the league think could happen.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

This is where that comes from: https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-nhl-entry-draft-free-agency-montreal-canadiens-edmonton-oilers-johnny-gaudreau-1.1819746

To be clear, LeBrun isn't reporting this as it is in fact happening as many seem to be thinking.  It's a hypothetical some around the league think could happen.

That's what I thought. They are NOT in talks. Purely a hypothetical. 

Why is Jordan Dumais ranked so low? Yes, I understand size has to be the biggest thing, but size alone doesn't seem to justify his 3rd round ranking. At 5'8 (some sources say 5'9) he isn't too far off the Savoie's, Nazar's or Firkus's of this years draft. He's likely bigger than past top 15 picks like Caufield.

The guy set Moosehead's scoring records this year, scoring 109 points in 68 games. I believe this outproduced every other CHL draft eligible in terms of both raw production and points per game other than over-ager Lucas Edmonds.

So even accounting for size, why is this guy not considered more of a 30-50 player? But hey, if we can nab him in the 3rd with say the 75th pick, I'm all for it. 

What am I missing?

20 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Why is Jordan Dumais ranked so low? Yes, I understand size has to be the biggest thing, but size alone doesn't seem to justify his 3rd round ranking. At 5'8 (some sources say 5'9) he isn't too far off the Savoie's, Nazar's or Firkus's of this years draft. He's likely bigger than past top 15 picks like Caufield.

The guy set Moosehead's scoring records this year, scoring 109 points in 68 games. I believe this outproduced every other CHL draft eligible in terms of both raw production and points per game other than over-ager Lucas Edmonds.

So even accounting for size, why is this guy not considered more of a 30-50 player? But hey, if we can nab him in the 3rd with say the 75th pick, I'm all for it. 

What am I missing?

I believe size is more important as a defenceman than any other position.  It’s not saying he’s not a good defenceman, it’s saying he needs to be paired with someone with size to offset how much forwards will push him around.  I don’t believe a 5’9 defenceman would be able run a defensive pairing, as opposed to the same skill set in a bigger frame.

2 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I believe size is more important as a defenceman than any other position.  It’s not saying he’s not a good defenceman, it’s saying he needs to be paired with someone with size to offset how much forwards will push him around.  I don’t believe a 5’9 defenceman would be able run a defensive pairing, as opposed to the same skill set in a bigger frame.

You may be getting confused with Lane Hutson (the 5'8 D man, who's actually ranked anywhere from 25-60)

I'm talking about RW Jordan Dumais

40 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I believe size is more important as a defenceman than any other position.

Agree, bigger is slower in general, game is getting quicker, so lumbering d-man who cant skate well should be avoided at all costs.

Smaller quicker d-men have won last couple norris trophies, so seems smart to go with Hutson vs a 6'7" Lamoureoux.

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

You may be getting confused with Lane Hutson (the 5'8 D man, who's actually ranked anywhere from 25-60)

I'm talking about RW Jordan Dumais

You are correct.

5 hours ago, DON said:

I thought we were now past drafting big hulking players, and that the new vision centres on speed and hockey IQ?

I'd really like to see Hutson in  Habs sweater.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I thought we were now past drafting big hulking players, and that the new vision centres on speed and hockey IQ?

In the top prospects game he looked big & sluggish, but scored a goal.

Also, some of the Q folks polled, gave him high praise as an opponent...so maybe a nice "local" 3rd line centre down the road. 

But, if it is him or say... a Firkus still available at 33, i will take the 151lb, 36g 80pt WHLer in a heartbeat, who was MVP of top prospects game and looked pretty shifty and got off some shots most wouldnt of.

Button mock draft;

https://www.tsn.ca/button-has-habs-making-the-wright-pick-in-final-mock-draft-1.1819441

25 minutes ago, DON said:

In the top prospects game he looked big & sluggish, but scored a goal.

Also, some of the Q folks polled, gave him high praise as an opponent...so maybe a nice "local" 3rd line centre down the road. 

But, if it is him or say... a Firkus still available at 33, i will take the 151lb, 36g 80pt WHLer in a heartbeat, who was MVP of top prospects game and looked pretty shifty and got off some shots most wouldnt of.

Button mock draft;

https://www.tsn.ca/button-has-habs-making-the-wright-pick-in-final-mock-draft-1.1819441

I agree about Firkus, a very interesting talent, a home run swing type of pick. He will be boom or bust I think. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree about Firkus, a very interesting talent, a home run swing type of pick. He will be boom or bust I think. 

I'm sure he's talented but he'll most likely be an NHL bust.  I wouldn't take Circus Firkus at all, unless he's a 4 rnd pick or later.  He's 5'10 154 lbs, so even if he adds 20 lbs of solid muscle (= 174 lbs) he'd still be 20 lbs under average size (195 lbs).  The chance of him gaining 20 lbs is practically 0, or he'd be stronger & heavier right now.  It deosnt seem like he'll even be Caufield's weight.   

With Dumais here is the thing. 

Not all big players are lumbering brutes.  There are some (see Noah Warren) who are also fantastic skaters.  But if you are big and merely an average skater you can still make it in the NHL. 

If you are small, you are already behind the eight-ball.  While more small players make the league today, they are for the most part very good skaters, or even better. Dumais isn't a bad skater, he's just very average. And without that elite or even very good skating, its hard to project a 5'8" player in the NHL.