2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

2 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm sure he's talented but he'll most likely be an NHL bust.  I wouldn't take Circus Firkus at all, unless he's a 4 rnd pick or later.  He's 5'10 154 lbs, so even if he adds 20 lbs of solid muscle (= 174 lbs) he'd still be 20 lbs under average size (195 lbs).  The chance of him gaining 20 lbs is practically 0, or he'd be stronger & heavier right now.  It deosnt seem like he'll even be Caufield's weight.   

He will be long gone before round 4. I would be all over taking him with the Oiler's pick in round 2 but I don't think he lasts that long either.  

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

With Dumais here is the thing. 

Not all big players are lumbering brutes.  There are some (see Noah Warren) who are also fantastic skaters.  But if you are big and merely an average skater you can still make it in the NHL. 

If you are small, you are already behind the eight-ball.  While more small players make the league today, they are for the most part very good skaters, or even better. Dumais isn't a bad skater, he's just very average. And without that elite or even very good skating, its hard to project a 5'8" player in the NHL. 

I 110% agree.  There are definitely some big players that can skate well that I wouldn't consider to be slow.  That often comes down to body type.  i.e. some people are 6'4"+ that have normal bodies, then there are those that are super thick like tree trunks. 

Beuachamin is peculiar but good example, because when he was with the Habs he wasn't that good and was heavy + slow.  However, after he left he lost 15-20 lbs and then he was like a totally different player. 

There are some players who make the NHL that are really small, like MSL and he wasn't drafted due to his size, but he is heavier than avg for his height.   Caufield is small, but he has elite talent and should have gone top 5.  Plus he is also 10-15 lbs heavier than avg for his height.  Gally is small too, but he's 25-30 lbs heavier than avg for his height.  However, with Firkus, he's probably 10-15lbs lighter than avg for his height.  He might have NHL level skills, but he doesn't have the body to match it.  i.e. he likely wont even have a regular non athletic build for his height. 

28 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He will be long gone before round 4. I would be all over taking him with the Oiler's pick in round 2 but I don't think he lasts that long either.  

I don't think he'll last long either, but I dont mean the draft.  Even if he has eyes in the back of his head most normal hits would wreck him, let alone actual big hits.  In the playoffs theres a high probability that he would never be able to play beyond round 2. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

With Dumais here is the thing. 

Not all big players are lumbering brutes.  There are some (see Noah Warren) who are also fantastic skaters.  But if you are big and merely an average skater you can still make it in the NHL. 

If you are small, you are already behind the eight-ball.  While more small players make the league today, they are for the most part very good skaters, or even better. Dumais isn't a bad skater, he's just very average. And without that elite or even very good skating, its hard to project a 5'8" player in the NHL. 

Interesting. Most sources I read talk about him as a solid skater "quick" is often used, but yea the word elite is never used.

But skating is something that can be worked on. With Dumais being such a high skill/cerebral guy, I wonder if his skating has some room to grow (from it being decent already). 

Almost the definition of a high risk high reward pick. He's top 6 or nothing

On 7/3/2022 at 11:54 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Imagine if Hugh-Gort actually wants Wright, but has convinced NJ that they're planning to take Slafvosky? Then they can extract assets from NJ for the pick, and get they guy they wanted all along at #2. That'd be a pretty sweet bit of poker playing.

We could be looking at Pollock 2.0.

That's what I think he is doing, but I'm not 100% sure.  He does seem to be very coy and shrewd - so far.  The idea of drafting a C is better than a Winger is generally true.  However, the Slov is huge and highly skilled which is very rare, and medium sized talented C's can be signed through free agency.  Also, Pierre Luc Dubois wants to play for the Habs, so they dont necessarily need to draft a C. 

How many wingers have the Slovaks size and skill that could be a 40 g guy?  Laine, but who else?

12 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

We could be looking at Pollock 2.0.

That's what I think he is doing, but I'm not 100% sure.  He does seem to be very coy and shrewd - so far.  The idea of drafting a C is better than a Winger is generally true.  However, the Slov is huge and highly skilled which is very rare, and medium sized talented C's can be signed through free agency.  Also, Pierre Luc Dubois wants to play for the Habs, so they dont necessarily need to draft a C. 

How many wingers have the Slovaks size and skill that could be a 40 g guy?  Laine, but who else?

Pollock, eh?!  A handful of trades, no cup yet and he is the reincarnation of Mr. Pollock already

🤣 😂 😅

4 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Interesting. Most sources I read talk about him as a solid skater "quick" is often used, but yea the word elite is never used.

But skating is something that can be worked on. With Dumais being such a high skill/cerebral guy, I wonder if his skating has some room to grow (from it being decent already). 

Almost the definition of a high risk high reward pick. He's top 6 or nothing

He can be quick in his first few steps, but he isn't elite in the other areas of skating, top speed over long distances, turns and edge work, strength and balance, etc... He's not bad in any of these areas, he's just not going to skate like Gaudreau or Caufield, or Point, or other smaller guys who can score in the NHL. 

Yes skating can be improved. But its still the reason he's a third or fourth rounder probably.  You have to evaluate how likely it is that he improves to an elite level in these areas. Its possible but not probable.  

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-history-best-26th-overall-draft-picks/

Some really solid picks at 26 over the years? Some of the worst recently have been by none other than mark Bergevin. (Scherbak and Juulsen). Though I can’t blame him for juulsen’s injuries.

let’s nab a Shea Theodore, Kuznetsov Danult or Tage Thompson 

15 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm sure he's talented but he'll most likely be an NHL bust.  I wouldn't take Circus Firkus at all, unless he's a 4 rnd pick or later.  He's 5'10 154 lbs, so even if he adds 20 lbs of solid muscle (= 174 lbs) he'd still be 20 lbs under average size (195 lbs).  The chance of him gaining 20 lbs is practically 0, or he'd be stronger & heavier right now.  It deosnt seem like he'll even be Caufield's weight.   

Gaudreau was about 135 (!) lbs when he was drafted. I think he's about 150 lbs now. And yet he has managed to scratch out a career in the NHL for himself. Sure, need to have skill and speed if you don't have the size, but players like that certainly do exist.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Oh my god 2 more days....... 2 more days....... 2 more days 🍿🍺🎉🎉

This year’s draft has been so dragged out. Wonder have it must affect the psyche of a guy like Wright who has been scrutinized for literal years as a prospect 

31 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

This year’s draft has been so dragged out. Wonder have it must affect the psyche of a guy like Wright who has been scrutinized for literal years as a prospect 

I am sure it will be a huge relief for Wright when it is finally over.  I don't ever remember a projected #1 pick that was under so much scrutiny or had to answer so many questions.  Perhaps he could have turned down some of the interviews but he seems like a pretty polite and accommodating young man. 

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Gaudreau was about 135 (!) lbs when he was drafted. I think he's about 150 lbs now. And yet he has managed to scratch out a career in the NHL for himself. Sure, need to have skill and speed if you don't have the size, but players like that certainly do exist.

He was taken too low, but was also a fourth rounder. 

59 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I just hope we pick Wright. I see Cooley as a Suzuki clone, so we just don't really need him

Why not? You dont like Suzuki? 2 Nick Suzuki's is not better than 1?

I dont get that logic?

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Why not? You dont like Suzuki? 2 Nick Suzuki's is not better than 1?

I dont get that logic?

I'm saying to me Cooley is similar to Suzuki. 

So why pick cooley over Wright when we have a cooley already on the team in Suzuki. My pick is Wright he fits our teams needs better than Cooley does. 

2 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

So why pick cooley over Wright when we have a cooley already on the team in Suzuki. My pick is Wright he fits our teams needs better than Cooley does. 

Ahh, Wright is a given and assumed you meant as a 2nd pick (if go all in and trade bunch stuff for pick #2), my mistake

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/the-nhl-draft-floor-inside-the-experience/

..."I know of one team whose staffers won’t ever forget the time a scout took a seat at the table when it was intended for a senior management member of the club. As the Draft commenced, he refused to relinquish the chair. Not wanting to cause a scene, the management member retreated to the team’s suite. Let’s hope that scout enjoyed his view from the floor because rumor has it he wasn’t part of the organization on Day 2."

2 hours ago, DON said:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/the-nhl-draft-floor-inside-the-experience/

..."I know of one team whose staffers won’t ever forget the time a scout took a seat at the table when it was intended for a senior management member of the club. As the Draft commenced, he refused to relinquish the chair. Not wanting to cause a scene, the management member retreated to the team’s suite. Let’s hope that scout enjoyed his view from the floor because rumor has it he wasn’t part of the organization on Day 2."

😄

This draft is going to reveal a ton about the HuGO mentality and what they’re trying to build for MSL

In general it seems fast, skilled and cerebral is the focus. I could see one of the following guys at 26 

Filip Mesar, Isaac Howard, Noah Ostlund, or Jagger Firkus

Lambert as well if somehow he fell all that way

4 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

In general it seems fast, skilled and cerebral is the focus. I could see one of the following guys at 26 

I expect him to trade up from 26, how far though? Will they try for someone with an elite skill, like Lambert's skating, or risk it on one of Romanov's countrymen?