2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

23 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

This draft is going to reveal a ton about the HuGO mentality and what they’re trying to build for MSL

In general it seems fast, skilled and cerebral is the focus. I could see one of the following guys at 26 

Filip Mesar, Isaac Howard, Noah Ostlund, or Jagger Firkus

Lambert as well if somehow he fell all that way

That is true, it will reveal a lot about their vision for the team although I think we know what they are looking for (fast, smart and good character) but the draft will confirm it. 

18 minutes ago, DON said:

I expect him to trade up from 26, how far though? Will they try for someone with an elite skill, like Lambert's skating, or risk it on one of Romanov's countrymen? 

With a trade up lambert could be more realistic in the 20 area 

4 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Lambert could be available later than most think, seems like a lot of people have soured on him, seem to really question his hockey IQ.  No question about his skating ability.  Hard to say where he goes. 

On 7/4/2022 at 2:21 PM, DON said:

Agree, bigger is slower in general, game is getting quicker, so lumbering d-man who cant skate well should be avoided at all costs.

Smaller quicker d-men have won last couple norris trophies, so seems smart to go with Hutson vs a 6'7" Lamoureoux.

I would like both.

I hope the Habs draft a couple of these kids:

I would love Luneau and Gaucher in the 26& 33 slots

10 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Washington at 20 seems a good target to trade back and add a pick/roster player. Or some of those teams with multiple picks like Sabres, Jets, Minni.

"The Coyotes have three first-round picks (Nos. 3, 27, 32), as do the Sabres (Nos. 9, 16 and 28). The Canadiens (Nos. 1, 26), Ducks (Nos. 10, 22), Blue Jackets (Nos. 6, 12), Winnipeg Jets (Nos. 14, 30) and Minnesota Wild (Nos. 19, 24) each have two.", 

11 hours ago, PMAC said:

I would like both.

Hutson seems worth a shot at 33 and if going big in 2nd round, Warren seems better option to me than Lamoureoux, given they say he also good skater. 

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/07/2022-habsworld-mock-draft/

#19 – Minnesota Wild – Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, Omsk (VHL)

is this a poor-mans Slafkovsky and future LW for Suzuki or Wright??

39 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m thinking a Petry trade announcement today and an Anderson announcement at the draft tomorrow. 

I expect our draft picks to look different tomorrow

I hope so! I’m all about draft day chaos. Would easily be my favourite time to be a hockey fan, except no hockey is actually being played 😕

45 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m thinking a Petry trade announcement today and an Anderson announcement at the draft tomorrow. 

If we're asking  for picks in next year's draft we really don't need to trade them now. Let them play and hopefully they have a better year so at the trade deadline their value can be more. 

5 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I hope so! I’m all about draft day chaos. Would easily be my favourite time to be a hockey fan, except no hockey is actually being played 😕

Being an old guy, I can tell you that the difference between today and my childhood in the ‘70s and ‘80s is truly massive. It used to be, there was hardly any hockey-related information, let alone discussion and analysis, to be had in the off-season. Now, a huge aspect of fandom and entertainment value actually hinges on things off the ice: drafting, UFA signings, and general organizational decision-making. It’s night and day. 

22 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Being an old guy, I can tell you that the difference between today and my childhood in the ‘70s and ‘80s is truly massive. It used to be, there was hardly any hockey-related information, let alone discussion and analysis, to be had in the off-season. Now, a huge aspect of fandom and entertainment value actually hinges on things off the ice: drafting, UFA signings, and general organizational decision-making. It’s night and day. 

I wish I still had some of my notebooks from that time period. I was thankful I could pick up Montreal radio stations from northern NY. I'd listen to Dick Irvin on the radio (and french language stations when I couldn't pick up the signal.)  But you're right, there was no info to be found outside of the regular hockey season. I was able to catch a glimpse of a few future NHLers when I'd catch Cornwall Royals games. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Trade announcements never seem to happen when you are expecting them. I will temper my expectations and just see what happens. I know Hughes is working hard to make things happen and will make a deal if it is the right one. I don't see him rushing to get things done. 

57 minutes ago, huzer said:

I wish I still had some of my notebooks from that time period. I was thankful I could pick up Montreal radio stations from northern NY. I'd listen to Dick Irvin on the radio (and french language stations when I couldn't pick up the signal.)  But you're right, there was no info to be found outside of the regular hockey season. I was able to catch a glimpse of a few future NHLers when I'd catch Cornwall Royals games. 

Ha! I watched a few Cornwall Colts games when, for my sins, I was stuck living there for a couple of years around the turn of the century. Fun local hockey. Lots of fights and a raucus, old-timey working class crowd. The Colts are Junior B, though, so not a lot of NHL talent in that pipeline. 

The NHL used to have an official publication, "GOAL" magazine, which I lapped up as a hockey-crazed tyke. Lots of glossy photos and affable stories about the game's stars, etc.. They ceased publication during the summer months. That just shows you how little interest there was in off-season doings; the assumption was, there was nothing to talk about.😆 Nowadays you can find animated hockey discussion 365 days per year.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope the Habs draft a couple of these kids:

I would love Luneau and Gaucher in the 26& 33 slots

Noah Warren looks like a beast, supposed to be an excellent skater as well.  A 2nd round pick by the Habs?  Maybe the Oilers pick. 

It appears as if Philadelphia doesn’t want to move the 5th overall pick, but Ottawa is willing to move the 7th overall pick.  So in the top-10, only New Jersey and Ottawa have been vocal about moving their picks.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/blackhawks/2022/7/5/23195846/blackhawks-trade-rumors-dylan-strome-dominik-kubalik-restricted-free-agents-alex-debrincat

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/snapshots-pre-draft-trade-talk-includes-names-like-alex-debrincat-seth-jones-and-matt-murray

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Being an old guy, I can tell you that the difference between today and my childhood in the ‘70s and ‘80s is truly massive. 

Ahh..the good old days. Good old B&W TV with 2 channels, watching Habs games on some saturdays and reading sports page in newspaper every day and evening was IT.

So just 'a bit' has changed since the 80s.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Was Miller playing centre or wing in Vancouver?

Both, but mostly W.

He is an excellent PPG player, with one year left - he should command a handsome return

5 hours ago, huzer said:

I used to the main public library in downtown Calgary every week or so to read the Montreal Gazette.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Both, but mostly W.

He is an excellent PPG player, with one year left - he should command a handsome return

Im not sure how we could get it done with Vancouver. We certainly aren’t trading Suzuki or Caufield and even the first overall pick isn’t enough. 

Tomorrow can’t come soon enough. The speculation has me buzzing

19 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Im not sure how we could get it done with Vancouver. We certainly aren’t trading Suzuki or Caufield and even the first overall pick isn’t enough. 

Tomorrow can’t come soon enough. The speculation has me buzzing

The draft and all 32 GMs are in Montreal.  Naturally, the buzz about Miller is occurring in Montreal because that's where everyone is.  Dreger's tweet isn't actually saying the Habs are going after Miller (they're not).

On 7/4/2022 at 7:08 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

Pollock, eh?!  A handful of trades, no cup yet and he is the reincarnation of Mr. Pollock already

🤣 😂 😅

Well, I wasnt suggesting that he is Pollock and has won 9 Cups in 14 years already.  I am suggesting that Hughes might think similar to Pollock.  i.e. tricking the team with the 2nd overall pick to trade for the 1st so NJ can get the guy they want when the Habs wanted the other guy anyway would be out of Pollock's playbook and something he probably would have thought to do.  (if that is what Hughes is doing)

20 hours ago, Meller93 said:

This draft is going to reveal a ton about the HuGO mentality and what they’re trying to build for MSL

In general it seems fast, skilled and cerebral is the focus.

I agree, and a huge part of the excitement is that we still don't know enough about Hughes to really know how he thinks to have any idea of what he might do at the draft. 

On 7/5/2022 at 9:12 AM, tomh009 said:

Gaudreau was about 135 (!) lbs when he was drafted. I think he's about 150 lbs now. And yet he has managed to scratch out a career in the NHL for himself. Sure, need to have skill and speed if you don't have the size, but players like that certainly do exist.

Are you sure he was that light though?  Depending on the what source is correct, I've seen him list as 155-165 lbs with a height of 5-7 to 5'9".  It would be surprising if he's gained 30 lbs of muscle. 

I actually wondered the same thing about Malkin too when he was drafted because he was tiny for his height.  He wasn't even 180 lbs when he was drafted, but he totally worked out.  However, he's 6'-5" and was only 15+ lbs under avg NHLer size.   Malkin is close to avg NHL weight now, but he's still small for his height.  I say being 6'3"+ is a big advantage.  i.e. reach, can take 2-3 strides can move further than a shorter guy, they have more flex of the stick when shooting, etc.