2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Depending on what else comes back in addition to the pick, that would be quite a tank job, though - get ready for an absolutely horrible team over 2022-23!

(Not saying we shouldn't make the deal, just pointing out that losing two top-6 FW would likely turn us from merely a bad team to a world-historical abomination).

Im okay with one more year of suffering if it gives us a chance to draft Conner Bedard and and got off the nitngood enough hamster wheel we’ve been on for almost 30 years now. 

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Depending on what else comes back in addition to the pick, that would be quite a tank job, though - get ready for an absolutely horrible team over 2022-23!

(Not saying we shouldn't make the deal, just pointing out that losing two top-6 FW would likely turn us from merely a bad team to a world-historical abomination).

I agree that trade proposal sounds like they want to tank.

I'm not convinced that it would be a good idea to give up Anderson or Dvorak.  Its a much worse idea to give them to the Sens.  After all, they are in the Habs division so they are a competitor for a playoff spot so that trade could make the Sens better than the Habs and hurt us for years. 

Also, the 1 trade proposal involving Petry + a goalie with Dallas for prospects Antonio Stranges or Mavrik Bourque that haven't played a single NHL game that are both 5-10" 180 lbs doesn't sound like a great idea either. 

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Montreal and Ottawa are talking.  Ottawa is interested in Anderson and Dvorak.  You would have to assume it would involve Ottawa’s 7th overall pick.

22 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That would be awesome if we can could move them both for the 7th, and still keep the puck from Calgary!

I am hesitant to move Dvorak THIS offseason as he will be nice insulation for Wright (assuming he is drafted #1 and is in the NHL next season), allowing him to ease in as the 3C.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am always a little skeptical of these rumours but I have no doubt that there is pressure on Dorion to improve the team as fans in Ottawa are probably getting a little tired of rebuilding and finishing out of the playoffs.

There are two sites with this.  The Ottawa Sun with Bruce Garrioch saying the two teams have talked which makes sense.  MHN is reporting the specifics but remember their insider is Jimmy Murphy whose track record of getting things right is not very good (I think he has gotten the odd one right but is wrong considerably more often than not).  That's the reason I didn't even bother linking that article on the main page with the other links this morning as I don't consider that a viable source for rumours.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Would it necessarily be that bad? Wright might be able to play 2C (maybe) and Ylonen can step up.

Mind you, D and G are huge question marks anyway …

So, what are the hot topics to watch for tonight ?

Obviously  Habs 1st pick.
What happens to NJ 2nd oa who's openly on the market?
Same for Ottawa 7th
JT Miller

Johnny Gaudreau's rights
Jeff Petry

Anything else with some good chances to happen ?

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Would it necessarily be that bad? Wright might be able to play 2C (maybe) and Ylonen can step up.

Mind you, D and G are huge question marks anyway …

Wouldn't necessarily be bad, but on the bold-faced point - haven't we seen enough of the Habs throwing rookies into the fire when they're not ready? I would have thought the KK/Galy debacles would have taught us the perils of that approach.

We need to have a buffer around our young players in the form of adequate veterans who can play those minutes if necessary. So if the plan involves just handing Wright a top-6 slot unearned, and hoping like crazy that he survives, that's not a plan at all.

17 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

So, what are the hot topics to watch for tonight ?

Obviously  Habs 1st pick.
What happens to NJ 2nd oa who's openly on the market?
Same for Ottawa 7th
JT Miller

Johnny Gaudreau's rights
Jeff Petry

Anything else with some good chances to happen ?

Read that Arizona is open to trading the 3rd pick.  It doesn’t make sense to me as to why, but it’s out there.

I would keep an eye on Edmonton with Puljujarvi, Kassian and Barrie.  They want to dump cap, so picks or prospects would be great for them.

Wow, thank god.  Thanks to the Blackhawks!!  DeBrincat is now on the Sens, for their 1st and 2nd, along with a 3rd in 2024.   Silly q, but wasn't the Flyers offer for him better? 

55 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Wow, thank god.  Thanks to the Blackhawks!!  DeBrincat is now on the Sens, for their 1st and 2nd, along with a 3rd in 2024.   Silly q, but wasn't the Flyers offer for him better? 

Torts wants Anderson?

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wouldn't necessarily be bad, but on the bold-faced point - haven't we seen enough of the Habs throwing rookies into the fire when they're not ready? I would have thought the KK/Galy debacles would have taught us the perils of that approach.

We need to have a buffer around our young players in the form of adequate veterans who can play those minutes if necessary. So if the plan involves just handing Wright a top-6 slot unearned, and hoping like crazy that he survives, that's not a plan at all.

I agree we need a buffer, but I think older experienced free agents that don’t get signed can be acquired to provide that. Unless we are significantly upgrading our D this summer, AND dmget significant contributions from young prospects, we aren’t going to be very good anyways. May as well move guys that aren’t going to really make as good enough to be a playoff team anyways.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Read that Arizona is open to trading the 3rd pick.  It doesn’t make sense to me as to why, but it’s out there.

I would keep an eye on Edmonton with Puljujarvi, Kassian and Barrie.  They want to dump cap, so picks or prospects would be great for them.

Maybe they are trying to pry another -#1 for next year from a potential lottery team, and improve their chances of landing Bedard.

42 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Torts wants Anderson?

No, not Anderson, the Flyers were trying to get DeBrincat.  I forget what they offered but I thought it might be better than the Sens offer that the Hawks accepted. 

11 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

No, not Anderson, the Flyers were trying to get DeBrincat.  I forget what they offered but I thought it might be better than the Sens offer that the Hawks accepted. 

(1) I was somewhat tongue-in-cheek about Anderson ... would LOVE another top 10 pick ... but JA did have his best season under Torts ... wouldn't shock me if he ends up in Philly ... but not for the #5 pick

(2) What was rumoured to be Philly's offer may not have been what was actually offered ... or perhaps Dorion tried to squeeze them too hard and Fletcher walked away

I have a mischievous streak that makes me wish Bettman opened the draft with "We have a trade to announce ... Montreal trades pick ....... 194 to Vancouver for a 6th round pick in 2023"

Gary would get booed out of the building.

NOTE: I know that will never happen

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I have a mischievous streak that makes me wish Bettman opened the draft with "We have a trade to announce ... Montreal trades pick 1 .... 94 to Vancouver for a 6th round pick in 2023"

That would be so funny though. 

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

(1) I was somewhat tongue-in-cheek about Anderson ... would LOVE another top 10 pick ... but JA did have his best season under Torts ... wouldn't shock me if he ends up in Philly ... but not for the #5 pick

(2) What was rumoured to be Philly's offer may not have been what was actually offered ... or perhaps Dorion tried to squeeze them too hard and Fletcher walked away

Ya, who knows for sure - a lot of the rumours could be nonsense. 

32 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I have a mischievous streak that makes me wish Bettman opened the draft with "We have a trade to announce ... Montreal trades pick ....... 194 to Vancouver for a 6th round pick in 2023"

NOTE: I know that will never happen

"I think you're gonna wanna heAAAr this..." 

😄

Poor Gary, getting the sh*t booed out of him even when praising the host city

Thought Guy's son and Mike's daughter both did a very good job.

• Like 1

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... Poor Gary, getting the sh*t booed out of him even when praising the host city

He could announce a cure for cancer and get booed ... its tradition ... I think he loves it.

Good on MSL to poke fun at himself

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

He could announce a cure for cancer and get booed ... its tradition ... I think he loves it.

Good for him for speaking French. His French is terrible, but at least he is a man about it, which is more than we can say for some Habs over the years.

LOVED seeing Koivu!!

• Like 1

So who makes the announcement ... Lapointe ... Lecavalier ... Hughes ... Molson?