GAME#54 Habs vs Jets 8:00pm March 1 2022

DON

4 minutes ago, DON said:

4g on 6 shots or 0.333% for Monty so far.

The Habs’ D left the door wide open at first — and then shaped up and gave the Jets nothing to shoot at at all. Bizarre.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There is no quit in this team. 

Last month, we would have lost 9-0.

this is what you want to see. Still losing, but hard work, and no quit attitude.

Gallagher in the penalty box for a couple Jets goals, held off the scoresheet for all but one of his last 16 games.  Looking like one of the worst millstone contracts in the league.  It'll be tough building a contender with $17M tied up in him and Carey over the next 4 years, unless they both magically go the Weber route.

It's a game like this that still has me unconvinced about Montembeault.  That looked like early-season Montembeault, the one who was out of position frequently and allowing some tough ones.  It's one bad game, we'll see if he can turn it around again.

Tonight's postgame: http://www.habsworld.net/2022/03/habs-lose-a-wild-one-in-winnipeg/

10 hours ago, Neech said:

Gallagher in the penalty box for a couple Jets goals, held off the scoresheet for all but one of his last 16 games.  Looking like one of the worst millstone contracts in the league.  It'll be tough building a contender with $17M tied up in him and Carey over the next 4 years, unless they both magically go the Weber route.

Honestly moments like this make me hate the salary cap. I hate that a guy that has played so hard through his career and most Habs fans had him as a favourite... Will become maligned because of his contract :(

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Neech said:

Well, 4 years is about the time a rebuild should take, so maybe we will be in a position to spend that $17M to great effect when the time comes.

More likely, Gally is shipped out. I think this is the year to do it, before his reputation catches up to the player he actually is now.

49 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

Honestly moments like this make me hate the salary cap. I hate that a guy that has played so hard through his career and most Habs fans had him as a favourite... Will become maligned because of his contract :(

It isn’t fair to the player…but then again the player has the benefit of being massively overpaid. Any player agreeing to an unrealistic contract needs to understand that substantial public criticism will be inevitable, and that what they do on the ice will be framed by knowledge of his dollar value.

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It isn’t fair to the player…but then again the player has the benefit of being massively overpaid. Any player agreeing to an unrealistic contract needs to understand that substantial public criticism will be inevitable, and that what they do on the ice will be framed by knowledge of his dollar value.

Each player, of course, has the ability to take a more modest (in terms of either length or AAV) contract to minimize the risk of criticism, but almost all of them will naturally choose to maximize their incomes instead. In that context, I only have limited sympathy for the players, Gallagher or otherwise: they chose dollars over love, and that's fine, but they do need to accept the consequences.

12 hours ago, Neech said:

Agreed.  Gallagher produces at a 4th line clip anymore....he's terrible.

37 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Each player, of course, has the ability to take a more modest (in terms of either length or AAV) contract to minimize the risk of criticism, but almost all of them will naturally choose to maximize their incomes instead. In that context, I only have limited sympathy for the players, Gallagher or otherwise: they chose dollars over love, and that's fine, but they do need to accept the consequences.

When MB signed Gallagher to that contract it was obvious it made #11 untradeable and that he was being paid for services rendered not projection

MB is gone and the new team style of play does not help Gallagher one bit. Maybe, just maybe, he finds chemistry with Dvorak and someone like Lehkonen on the LW and he produces above 20g/yr over the rest of his contract. But right now that seems unlikely 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

When MB signed Gallagher to that contract it was obvious it made #11 untradeable and that he was being paid for services rendered not projection

MB is gone and the new team style of play does not help Gallagher one bit. Maybe, just maybe, he finds chemistry with Dvorak and someone like Lehkonen on the LW and he produces above 20g/yr over the rest of his contract. But right now that seems unlikely 

I don't know if Gallagher can get to that 20-goal mark again but if Dvorak can be like Danault on a line that controls the play at even strength with Gallagher (Lehkonen is a decent fit with them but it still seems likely he moves), they could still get some sort of return on Gallagher's deal.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Maybe, just maybe, he finds chemistry with Dvorak and someone like Lehkonen on the LW and he produces above 20g/yr over the rest of his contract. But right now that seems unlikely 

I really see Lehkonen as being able to play a Gallagher role, rather than complementing him. For a short while (half a dozen games maybe?) we had a Toffoli-Suzuki-Lehkonen line, and that really reminded me of Tatar-Danault-Gallagher. Now, Toffoli is gone, and Suzuki is unlikely to play with Lehkonen, but something like Pitlick-Dvorak-Lehkonen could be something similar, checking and being able to score, too. Lehkonen can cause havoc in front of the net but will not get called for as many penalties.

Lehkonen has more value, I think, than Gallagher due to the team control and much lower costs. But for similar reasons, if HuGo finds a team interested in Gallagher, Lehkonen could fill at least part of that role -- if he's not traded -- and save a bunch of cap space.

29 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I really see Lehkonen as being able to play a Gallagher role, rather than complementing him. For a short while (half a dozen games maybe?) we had a Toffoli-Suzuki-Lehkonen line, and that really reminded me of Tatar-Danault-Gallagher. Now, Toffoli is gone, and Suzuki is unlikely to play with Lehkonen, but something like Pitlick-Dvorak-Lehkonen could be something similar, checking and being able to score, too. Lehkonen can cause havoc in front of the net but will not get called for as many penalties.

Lehkonen has more value, I think, than Gallagher due to the team control and much lower costs. But for similar reasons, if HuGo finds a team interested in Gallagher, Lehkonen could fill at least part of that role -- if he's not traded -- and save a bunch of cap space.

I agree but I believe we are stuck with Gallagher and for that reason I hope they find a 3C to give him a chance to live to the expectation created by his contract. On LW they need à passer or a board/1-1 guy like Drouin or “good Armia” 

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I don't know if Gallagher can get to that 20-goal mark again but if Dvorak can be like Danault on a line that controls the play at even strength with Gallagher (Lehkonen is a decent fit with them but it still seems likely he moves), they could still get some sort of return on Gallagher's deal.

Neither Dvorak nor Gallagher are good at carrying the puck through the neutral zone and getting effective zone entries.  This is something that Danault did for his line, so I'm not sure the two of them work well together.  

In order to get high possession, the third person on that line would need to be someone who gets the puck through the neutral zone and into the zone effectively.  Really amongst our wingers, that means Drouin (though then you have his weakness in his own end of the ice)

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Neither Dvorak nor Gallagher are good at carrying the puck through the neutral zone and getting effective zone entries.  This is something that Danault did for his line, so I'm not sure the two of them work well together.  

In order to get high possession, the third person on that line would need to be someone who gets the puck through the neutral zone and into the zone effectively.  Really amongst our wingers, that means Drouin (though then you have his weakness in his own end of the ice)

Drouin was my first thought as well.