WE HAVE A TRADE (McNiven to Calgary)

Commandant

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Not the trade I was expecting but maybe they had to clear spots. It seems like Montreal and Calgary are getting comfortable talking trade. 

McNiven wasn't getting playing time in Laval and we might have Allen back soon too.  Easily an expendable guy at this point. 

Well, its a trade i suppose.

Always wondered, is future considerations, just a "gentleman's agreement" or is it actual binding deal of some sort?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Always wondered, is future considerations, just a "gentleman's agreement" or is it actual binding deal of some sort?

Yes.

14 minutes ago, DON said:

Its a nicer way of saying, we gave him away for free.

38 minutes ago, DON said:

It can be nothing or an actual tangible asset (for example, a 7th-round pick if he plays in __ NHL games).  In this case, it's clearly not the latter. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

McNiven wasn't getting playing time in Laval and we might have Allen back soon too.  Easily an expendable guy at this point. 

I hope he can find some (probably AHL) playing time in Calgary. He's worked hard for a ridiculous number of teams, I really do wish him the best out there.

Clears a contract slot ... that could/will be useful.

This makes me wonder if this is possibly related to what I said in another thread.  i.e. they could trade Allen and promote Monty to backup, and keep Hamburgalur for AHL duty next year.  ex: if Price or Monty gets injured next year its unlikely that the Hamburgalur would be stolen off waivers.  However, if they dont trade Allen and 1 of their Goalies get injured next year and Monty is the 3rd goalie he could be stolen off waivers.  

23 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

This makes me wonder if this is possibly related to what I said in another thread.  i.e. they could trade Allen and promote Monty to backup, and keep Hamburgalur for AHL duty next year.  ex: if Price or Monty gets injured next year its unlikely that the Hamburgalur would be stolen off waivers.  However, if they dont trade Allen and 1 of their Goalies get injured next year and Monty is the 3rd goalie he could be stolen off waivers.  

I don't see another team claiming Montembeault.  He's a sub .900 SV% goalie, even in the minors and in junior.  Teams don't view that as NHL-calibre.