Mar. 5, Habs vs Oilers, 7 PM

dlbalr

3 minutes ago, Neech said:

I don't know how the Oilers' second goal counted after review. 

There seems to be silly little things that can be done to make a goal count or not count.  ex:  skate right towards where the goalie is standing, but as long as they make a small attempt to avoid hitting him yet hit him the goal will count.  

Similarly, a dman seems to be able to push a player into their own goalie to disallow a goal. 

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm guessing it's because Clague pushed him a bit towards the net.  Of course, there's no consistency with whether or not that's grounds for disallowing a goal, it's all up to the interpretation of the on-ice officials and whoever's in the situation room.

The NHL doesn't really say so who knows but I tend to think it was more due to the Oiler making a slight attempt to avoid the contact.  That seems to trigger the excuse of "there was nothing else he could do".  I believe they viewed it that he was skating fast enough that stopping to avoid contact wasn't an option.  However, he did somewhat try to avoid him.  i.e. He didnt try to use the excuse of the contact with Clague to run Monty right over, he clipped him.  

If thats correct that concept seems ripe for abuse though, but there are other rules that do.  ex:  when you take a shot you can legally highstick somebody, so do that every shot. 

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It was because the refs felt bad penalizing Smith when he just stumbled rather than intentionally dislodging the net.

It was more intentional than you're letting on, he extended his arm to push into the post. I think he stumbled initially then tried to get away with stopping the clock because the puck was in such a dangerous position.

Nice win, domination on special teams weirdly enough. Zukes getting double shifted again and oftentimes looking like the best player on the ice with two former MVP's out there. 

Back when we had a good squad it seems like we'd always struggle on the western Canadian road swing, now that we're in last we're taking out teams with Cup aspirations.

23 minutes ago, Neech said:

lol that penalty call on Gallagher makes me think the fix is in for this game.  

Should have been offsetting minors there.  The stick shouldn't have been there but Gallagher can't shoot his stick away like that either.

1 minute ago, Helmethead said:

Jesus Christ who are these guys???

As I implied in another thread, it really makes you wonder what the hell DD was doing. Even with the traditional bump that bad teams get once they’re out of it, the gap between DD Habs and St Louis Habs is crazily vast…this team might well have been in a heated battle for the playoffs with a capable coach at the reins all along.

It’s still early days, but it does look as though my original skepticism about St Louis has not been borne out. They look darned good.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Should have been offsetting minors there.  The stick shouldn't have been there but Gallagher can't shoot his stick away like that either.

The refs shoudl have called the Oilers for the stick even before Gallagher got there ... though I don't know which penalty that would be.

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yeah I don't get how only one team got penalized, it was so blatant.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As I implied in another thread, it really makes you wonder what the hell DD was doing. Even with the traditional bump that bad teams get once they’re out of it, the gap between DD Habs and St Louis Habs is crazily vast…this team might well have been in a heated battle for the playoffs with a capable coach at the reins all along.

Makes it all the more important to get a stud at the top of the draft this year, because we could easily be back in the middle next year. 

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s still early days, but it does look as though my original skepticism about St Louis has not been borne out. They look darned good.

Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it.

Ben has been saying it all along.  

This team might not be as bad as they've played all year.  

Now the question remains; will this recent 180 makes Gorton and Hughes alter their rebuild strategy?

3 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it.

Ben has been saying it all along.  

This team might not be as bad as they've played all year.  

Now the question remains; will this recent 180 makes Gorton and Hughes alter their rebuild strategy?

Well, listen. We had a quality top-6 W in Toffoli on a great deal and shipped him out. That rather looks like a mistake if we suddenly abandon the rebuild.

Also, Weber is done and Price might be. Danault is gone, Edmundson (who I like a lot) is a question mark, Gallagher is very likely on the down-slide, and KK (one of the hopes) is gone too. This team was entering “retool” if not “rebuild” territory whatever happened.

I guess we could pivot to “retool” logic, though…which means what? Trade only 1-2 vets instead of 3-4?

19 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

No No!!  Let's not get carried away with this new coach bounce. Still a lot of holes on this team. Sometimes it's easier to play when there is no pressure, playoff spot is gone and you are just out there working hard and having fun. 

36 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Ya, I thought it was rookie mistake by Gally on that penalty.  Like Gally was by no way wrong on that, but he should have tried to purposely trip himself on buddy's stick or something funny like that.  

51 minutes ago, Neech said:

Yeah I don't get how only one team got penalized, it was so blatant.

Makes it all the more important to get a stud at the top of the draft this year, because we could easily be back in the middle next year. 

I think without drastic changes, we will still be the in the 22-28 overall place team I expected us to be this year - unless there are drastic changes. I think we are clearly a better prepared team, with a lot more structured and inspired play with St Louis than we ever were with DD. But we also going to be catching a lot of teams of guard being 31st in the league.  

I’m really liking St Louis move, by the team looking like they gave a damn again, but true evaluation of St. Louis and the team will be next year. We still have a tire fire D, and uncertainty about Price and at the centre (outside of Suzuki). 

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Ducharme absolutely stole the Calder from Cole Caufield.

Yeah, and I doubt if a lot of players would have been as bad as they were, and I also think we wouldn’t have been a bottom 3, or even bottom 5 team if we had an earlier coaching change. Still wouldn’t have been close to a playoff position, but would not have been the embarrassment we we were.

36 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

No No!!  Let's not get carried away with this new coach bounce. Still a lot of holes on this team. Sometimes it's easier to play when there is no pressure, playoff spot is gone and you are just out there working hard and having fun. 

Totally agree. We are still not close to being a playoff team, or even a legit bubble team. 

49 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, listen. We had a quality top-6 W in Toffoli on a great deal and shipped him out. That rather looks like a mistake if we suddenly abandon the rebuild.

Also, Weber is done and Price might be. Danault is gone, Edmundson (who I like a lot) is a question mark, Gallagher is very likely on the down-slide, and KK (one of the hopes) is gone too. This team was entering “retool” if not “rebuild” territory whatever happened.

I guess we could pivot to “retool” logic, though…which means what? Trade only 1-2 vets instead of 3-4?

I still think we need a proper rebuild - particularly on D. Still need to move Chiarot, and I’d move Lekhonan, if we get a 1st, or a blue chip prospect and a 2nd. Aside from that we should still be trying to move Petry, Gallagher, Hoffman, Byron, and Savard between the next two deadlines. 

My take from tonight. Lehkonen is a fierce forechecker. I do not want him traded. Period. Slick nick was fantastic tonight. Nice bounce back game for Monty. Dauphin is a legit 4th liner. That 1st line. Some bad calls by the 4efs tonight. Mike smith sucks

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Also must be seen as, basically the easiest opponent (Arizona equal?) in the NHL, might factor into couple of these late winter wins. :spamafote:

2 hours ago, DON said:

Also must be seen as, basically the easiest opponent (Arizona equal?) in the NHL, might factor into couple of these late winter wins. :spamafote:

True, other teams look at the standings and think it will be an easy 2 points.  WRONG  This is not the same team as a month ago.  I bet they beat Vancouver coming up. 

12 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have to say that I am also pleasantly surprised on the results St-Louis is getting.

I will still argue for Ducharme if anyone insults him, because no one deserves that. He was a decent person if compared with coaches like Therrien and Babcock. But I have to agree that this season, the team turned against him.

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

those holes need to be addressed with a proper hockey move. The past two GMs (Gainey and Bergevin) believed that they could tweak the team into contention and "with a goalie like Price, anything can happen" in the playoffs.

That era is done, and the team has to be transformed into a different structure from the prospects to the team stars. The moves Hugh-Gort (or Hugo as some call him) seem to point in that direction: a team not built around Price anymore, a team that develops high skilled players and plays a fast offensive-first game.