GAME#59 HABS vs Flyers 7:00PM Sunday March 13th

DON

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

A start for Primeau, since Montembeault played last night?

It makes sense in theory but if they're worried about Primeau's mental state, throwing him in on the road in what is typically a bit of a hostile environment may not be the way to go.  I'd have went with him last night and Montembeault tonight as a result.  I wouldn't be shocked if they go back to Montembeault tonight, to be honest.

Somewhat an aside ... maybe tonight is his night

25 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It makes sense in theory but if they're worried about Primeau's mental state, throwing him in on the road in what is typically a bit of a hostile environment may not be the way to go.  I'd have went with him last night and Montembeault tonight as a result.  I wouldn't be shocked if they go back to Montembeault tonight, to be honest.

A players coach would let Primeau play in Philly, against the team his father is best associated with. 

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

A players coach would let Primeau play in Philly, against the team his father is best associated with. 

A good point. I guess we need to wait and see what St Louis decides to do.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

If they are worried about his mental state then he shouldn't be playing in the NHL right now period.  

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If they are worried about his mental state then he shouldn't be playing in the NHL right now period.  

He’s only on the roster because there is no other uninjured goalie on an NHL contract.

Not thrilled with Lehkonen getting hurt in the warmup.  That's the last thing the Habs need.

Bad start but Montreal did get a bit better after the first few minutes.  Unfortunately, the power play still looks brutal.

Just now, Peter Puck said:

The problem is, once they call it their only two choices after the review are minor or major penalty.

It was obvious that it was “oops, we missed a call”, better assess a major so we can retroactively call a minor interference.

Nice blast by Caufield to end it.

15 minutes ago, huzer said:

That was interesting. I don’t recall refs purposely calling a 5 minute penalty just for the ability to review that they missed a call. I don’t claim to watch every NHL game either, though.

It's not something you see often but it has happened before.  Obviously, the linesmen effectively called that penalty so this was the only way to look at it.  It's a strange way to do it but if they're sure there's a penalty there, it works.

Happy for the players, making it really interesting for the trade deadline.

Good game by Pitlick, let's see if St-Louis continues with Hoffman-Suzuki-Gallagher and Caufield-Pitlick-Anserson, at least until they have to play Dvorak and Drouin.

I didn't see it, but I heard from the play-by-play that Petry got turn inside-out on a goal. He was on the ice fro the tying goal and led the rush on that goal: I guess he comes out even on the night and I hope his trade value continues to rise.

Pitlick now has his shooting average up to an even 30% (12 goals on 40 shots). Clearly unsustainable ... and yet he's still putting the puck in the net. For now.

It's impressive, even if he regresses next year.

30 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Pitlick now has his shooting average up to an even 30% (12 goals on 40 shots). Clearly unsustainable ... and yet he's still putting the puck in the net. For now.

It is impressive, Habs should lock him into a multi year  contract, perhaps 4M/year.    

OK, just kidding about the contract part. 

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I agree, and you're right that he'll regress, but that doesnt mean his S% will drop down to 10%, which is still pretty decent.  He does have a career S% of 20% or higher in every league he has ever played in.  People need to realize that there is no way that is a fluke.    

Plus, what impresses me more it that he is just as good or better as a playmaker.  He's got great eyes and sees plays and then makes them happen by putting the puck in advantageous proximity of his linemates.  A lot of his passes aren't stick to stick, he's great at judging distance and speed and putting the puck to where his linemate will get it.

ex:  that was a nice pass to Hoffman on his broken stick shot.  Then Pitlick made a really good move along the boards to get in between the puck and the Flyer, and then he makes a great basically no look pass to Caufield that ends the game.