GAME#60 Habs vs Arizona 7:00Pm March 15 2022

DON

image.jpeg

19-40 Yotes vs 16-43 Habs

Not sure if Poehling out injured?

Chiarot's last game in Hab Jersey?

Is this fellow's bobblehead night. 

1974-75 he had 28g; for a d-man not too shabby.

image.jpeg

EOTP:

Tale of the Tape

Canadiens Statistics Coyotes
16-35-8 Record 19-36-4
46.2% (27th) Scoring-chances-for % 43.9% (32nd)
2.46 (32nd) Goals per game 2.58 (29th)
3.78 (32nd) Goals against per game 3.54 (28th)
13.0% (31st) PP% 12.8% (32nd)
73.7% (29th) PK% 73.2% (30th)

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Sourpuss time: I still think Lapointe’s jersey should not have been retired.

I think they should unretire all the numbers to allow Habs players to actually wear some of the good digits that have been off-limits for years or decades.  Maybe keep #9 as the only forbidden number.

48 minutes ago, Neech said:

I think they should unretire all the numbers to allow Habs players to actually wear some of the good digits that have been off-limits for years or decades.  Maybe keep #9 as the only forbidden number.

Ha! You are much harder-core than me. I respect that.

My view is, jersey retirement is the greatest honour a player can receive - much greater than the Hall of Fame, for instance. Especially on the Habs, who remain the greatest franchise in the history of the sport, a jersey should only be retired in the case of true Greatness. A player who is truly Great is a player whose name brings goosebumps, who has a mythic quality to them, who is looked on during his career and after it with a kind of awe.

#1, #2, #4, #7, #9, #10, #29, #33 are obvious no-brainer candidates. #16, #18 and #19 have a strong case. The rest...not so much.

#31 will have a very good case himself.

Guy Lapointe was a fine d-man who would have been the #1 guy on most teams. But he was a first-team all star exactly once in his career and never won an individual award. That is hardly the stuff of which legends are made, sorry.

A very good point. But I think they'll be very, very reluctant to open that can of worms, and start judging who should be retired or not ...

One thing they could do is keep all the numbers in the rafters, but allow some of them to be reused ... kind of semi-retired?

As an aside, Dickie Moore winning a second consecutive scoring title -- with his wrist in a cast for the second half of the season! -- really is the stuff of legend. Whether that should merit retiring his number is up for discussion though!

1 hour ago, Neech said:

Uhh, I’d still like to see #1, 2, 4, 7, 10, 12, 16, 18, 19, 23, 29, and 33 retired.

Some of the other ones you can argue on, but we have a great history. Why not cherish it and give this players there due. I don’t see any current/recent player other than Price having his number retired - and he’d be the first non-cup winner to do so.

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

We have enough trouble with the Forum ghosts already to be having this conversation 

👻

Stop it !

:rastapop:

Yes. Totally agree. Won squat in the moslon/bell centre.

36 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Uhh, I’d still like to see #1, 2, 4, 7, 10, 12, 16, 18, 19, 23, 29, and 33 retired.

Some of the other ones you can argue on, but we have a great history. Why not cherish it and give this players there due. I don’t see any current/recent player other than Price having his number retired - and he’d be the first non-cup winner to do so.

We can cherish the history by having the numbers in the rafters.  Current players wearing these numbers does nothing to diminish this, in fact we might remember the past greats more often if their numbers were still in circulation (i.e. #11 being passed from Koivu to Gionta to Gallagher).  As it is, most of the good numbers - the numbers that players would actually choose if they were available - are off limits.  

17 minutes ago, DON said:

Why?

I explain that above: 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ha! You are much harder-core than me. I respect that.

My view is, jersey retirement is the greatest honour a player can receive - much greater than the Hall of Fame, for instance. Especially on the Habs, who remain the greatest franchise in the history of the sport, a jersey should only be retired in the case of true Greatness. A player who is truly Great is a player whose name brings goosebumps, who has a mythic quality to them, who is looked on during his career and after it with a kind of awe.

#1, #2, #4, #7, #9, #10, #29, #33 are obvious no-brainer candidates. #16, #18 and #19 have a strong case. The rest...not so much.

#31 will have a very good case himself.

Guy Lapointe was a fine d-man who would have been the #1 guy on most teams. But he was a first-team all star exactly once in his career and never won an individual award. That is hardly the stuff of which legends are made, sorry.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I tend to agree, an excellent defenseman who was part of some outstanding teams. But I don't think of legendary when I think of Guy Lapointe.  I think of the Rocket, Beliveau, Lafleur, Harvey etc.

It reminds me a bit of Kevin Lowe being named to the Hall of Fame.  He was an importance piece of some great Oiler teams but Hall of Fame?  If he had played on any other team I think there would have been an almost zero chance he would have been considered. Being fortunate to be on some great  Stanley Cup winning teams does a lot for your profile. 

I remember meeting Guy Lapointe when I was a kid at McDonalds. He was with his family and gave me his autograph. I still have it. 

Loved him - he was great. But not a hall of famer and def not retire his number worthy. 

3 hours ago, Neech said:

We can cherish the history by having the numbers in the rafters.  Current players wearing these numbers does nothing to diminish this, in fact we might remember the past greats more often if their numbers were still in circulation (i.e. #11 being passed from Koivu to Gionta to Gallagher).  As it is, most of the good numbers - the numbers that players would actually choose if they were available - are off limits.  

I loved Koivu and liked Gionta. But they weren’t the the Rocket, Le Gross Bill, the pocket rocket, the Road runner, Le Demon Blonde, big Bird, the Senator, the giraffe, Gainey (who the Selke should be named after), or our last hall of famer that were driven out by the the unholy trinity. 

we have had great players like Shutt, Lemaire, Naslund, who didn’t have their numbers retired - even though they are hall of farmers. The players of those numbers are back in circulation. Growing up in the 70’s, I don’t want anyone else ever wearing #29, 10,19,18, or 23.

I do agree that there are some numbers that are retired, probably should not have been, despite them still being HOF’ers, and  partly because we feel the need to celebrate the past when we pretty much have sucked for almost 30 years, but most guys whose numbers are retired deserve it.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Lapointe 57.1pts/82gms

Robinson 56.7pts/82gms

75-to 77 Lapointe had 74g, best stretch ever for any hab d-man.

I loved Lapointe, but being part of the big 3, he was overshadowed by Robinson and Savard. He also didn’t win any individual major awards (Robinson), or was a captain. I don’t have a problem with retiring his number, but I’d say he would be a borderline case. Shutt was a great goal scorer, and probably top 3 all time as a pure scorer, but I wouldn’t retire his number either.

35 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

I remember meeting Guy Lapointe when I was a kid at McDonalds. He was with his family and gave me his autograph. I still have it. 

Loved him - he was great. But not a hall of famer and def not retire his number worthy. 

He was a hall of famer. Canada Cup, multiple Stanley Cups. Part of the best top 3 ever.

I should know this, but do the Habs have a "ring of honour" type of thing to recognize the special contributions of players who are beloved contributors, but who are not worthy of jersey retirement? 

The Canuckleheads - who retire the number of anyone and his dog - have that. Alex Burrows is there, LOL.

The further we get from the dynasty era, the more important it will be to have some mechanism for recognizing players who are less than all-time greats. Exhibit A is Saku Koivu. A great Montreal Canadien, team captain, best Hab of his era, inspiring figure, by all accounts a fine human being. We can't retire his number because he was not "Great" with a capital G. But it'd be nice to see him permanently recognized in some fashion. 

34 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He was a hall of famer. Canada Cup, multiple Stanley Cups. Part of the best top 3 ever.

I meant - in my opinion he was not hall of fame caliber. 

I certainly realize he IS in the hall of fame. 

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I should know this, but do the Habs have a "ring of honour" type of thing to recognize the special contributions of players who are beloved contributors, but who are not worthy of jersey retirement? 

The Canuckleheads - who retire the number of anyone and his dog - have that. Alex Burrows is there, LOL.

The further we get from the dynasty era, the more important it will be to have some mechanism for recognizing players who are less than all-time greats. Exhibit A is Saku Koivu. A great Montreal Canadien, team captain, best Hab of his era, inspiring figure, by all accounts a fine human being. We can't retire his number because he was not "Great" with a capital G. But it'd be nice to see him permanently recognized in some fashion. 

yes, they do have a "ring of honor"

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I loved Lapointe, but being part of the big 3, he was overshadowed by Robinson and Savard. He also didn’t win any individual major awards (Robinson), or was a captain. I don’t have a problem with retiring his number, but I’d say he would be a borderline case. Shutt was a great goal scorer, and probably top 3 all time as a pure scorer, but I wouldn’t retire his number either.

I think was underrated, but vague childhood memory now.

Ylonen filling in for Poehling. Wonder how he will fare under St Louis?

Chiarot sitting, let speculation ramp up.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2022/03/montreal-canadiens-to-scratch-ben-chiarot-as-deadline-approaches.html

Will Lehkonen play all 3 games this week? 2 crappy teams & Dallas.

A belated comment on retiring "Lapointe's number" ... let us recall that #5 had been retired in 2006 but for Boom-Boom Geoffrion.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Enough about retired numbers... How about speculation as to when someone will be the first to wear 50, 66, 69, 87, 96, 97, or 98? :popcorn:

I can scratch one off your list - 66 - Armand Mondou (1934-35).