GAME#60 Habs vs Arizona 7:00Pm March 15 2022

DON

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I should know this, but do the Habs have a "ring of honour" type of thing to recognize the special contributions of players who are beloved contributors, but who are not worthy of jersey retirement? 

The Canuckleheads - who retire the number of anyone and his dog - have that. Alex Burrows is there, LOL.

The further we get from the dynasty era, the more important it will be to have some mechanism for recognizing players who are less than all-time greats. Exhibit A is Saku Koivu. A great Montreal Canadien, team captain, best Hab of his era, inspiring figure, by all accounts a fine human being. We can't retire his number because he was not "Great" with a capital G. But it'd be nice to see him permanently recognized in some fashion. 

All hall of famers are on the ring of honour

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

And the shine on Montembeault is wearing off quickly, as expected.  He had his little run, now it's back to being an AHL-level goalie, just like the last time he had a good couple of weeks when he was in Florida.  Good time for Primeau to play now.

:ph34r: I thought the new coach had fixed the system :ph34r:

:P team plays hard but looses as bad as before... go figure :nuts:

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

That was a fun eight seconds to end the period, that's for sure.

those two goals were amazing. Caufield is playing just great right now. I am happy for the kid

:bouncing::bouncing::bouncing:

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yup, no complaints here. 

same here, just playing the peanut gallery critic before.

I like how Schueneman is making Kulak expendable.

I also like how Romanov, Suzuki, Caufield area playing. Lots to love there

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Im convinced that DD is the only reason caufield wont win the calder this season.

But thank GOD Caufield has returned to form! I could not take yet another highly-touted Habs pick turning into a bust.

Talk about an indictment of DD, though. He really did do an atrocious job.

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I like how Schueneman is making Kulak expendable.

I also like how Romanov, Suzuki, Caufield area playing. Lots to love there

Awww :wub: .

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But thank GOD Caufield has returned to form! I could not take yet another highly-touted Habs pick turning into a bust.

and talk about an indication that Timins didn't "completely suck" at his Job (Romanov, Caufield, Pezzetta (yes "him" again"), Lehkonen, Evans, ...  😁

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wonder whether it's really that Ducharme was so bad, or whether it's that St Louis has enabled Caufield.

A lot of NHL coaches believe in their systems, and want the players to fit into those systems. This clearly didn't work with Caufield and Ducharme's system. But St Louis' approach really seems to be to allow the players to do what they can do best, and then build his system/concept around those players.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I wonder whether it's really that Ducharme was so bad, or whether it's that St Louis has enabled Caufield.

A lot of NHL coaches believe in their systems, and want the players to fit into those systems. This clearly didn't work with Caufield and Ducharme's system. But St Louis' approach really seems to be to allow the players to do what they can do best, and then build his system/concept around those players.

A good coach maximizes his players strengths and minimizes his players weaknesses.  The coach should adapt to the players or he's not a good coach. 

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I don't doubt that DD was a "systems" guy, where St Louis is less so. And I also worry about players who refuse to fit within systems, or lack the capacity to do so. A handful of really gifted players can be exempted from a system, but it's a troubling sign if your rookie is expecting that.

That being said, though, it wasn't just CC. Quite a few players commented on how they were spending their time under DD thinking about where they were supposed to be, etc., instead of playing the game. If you're going to be a "systems" guy, you have to make sure the system is simple enough to be readily absorbed by players of average intelligence; and you also have to be able to communicate it clearly and straightforwardly. DD was obviously unsuccessful in these ways. 

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If you're going to be a "systems" guy, you have to make sure the system is simple enough to be readily absorbed by players of average intelligence; and you also have to be able to communicate it clearly and straightforwardly. 

I think that is true. Most coaches have some sort of system. If players spend more time thinking than just playing (especially creative players) then they won't be as successful.  Obviously DD thought his system worked as they made the finals last year and even Caulfield had success in the playoffs last year.  I don't know if DD changed anything this year but it didn't work for a lot of reasons.  Here we go down that rabbit hole of dissecting DD again. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

and talk about an indication that Timins didn't "completely suck" at his Job (Romanov, Caufield, Pezzetta (yes "him" again"), Lehkonen, Evans, ...  😁

If I recall correctly, the "talk" at the time was that TT et al wanted to take Cam York but Philly grabbed him just before the Habs, so they moved on to CC.

Just now, GHT120 said:

If I recall correctly, the "talk" at the time was that TT et al wanted to take Cam York but Philly grabbed him just before the Habs, so they moved on to CC.

What I remember was that film about the Habs at the draft.  Montreal was offered a 3rd from Vegas to move up 2 spots into Montreal's spot (presumably to take Caulfield).  Timmins gave Bergevin a firm no and then they took Caulfield so at that point they definitely wanted him.  There is always a lot of "talk" and I don't think teams like to tip their hand about who they want to take otherwise it hurts their bargaining position. Sometimes the talks and leaks might be to throw other teams off. If I really wanted Caulfield I would want other teams to think I wanted York.  It worked on you. 

50 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think that is true. Most coaches have some sort of system. If players spend more time thinking than just playing (especially creative players) then they won't be as successful.  Obviously DD thought his system worked as they made the finals last year and even Caulfield had success in the playoffs last year.  I don't know if DD changed anything this year but it didn't work for a lot of reasons.  Here we go down that rabbit hole of dissecting DD again. 

DD had no practice time last year, he was a fresh voice who tweaked Julien's system here and there, but he didn't really install a full system. 

There were some changes in camp this year. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

What I remember was that film about the Habs at the draft.  Montreal was offered a 3rd from Vegas to move up 2 spots into Montreal's spot (presumably to take Caulfield).  Timmins gave Bergevin a firm no and then they took Caulfield so at that point they definitely wanted him.  There is always a lot of "talk" and I don't think teams like to tip their hand about who they want to take otherwise it hurts their bargaining position. Sometimes the talks and leaks might be to throw other teams off. If I really wanted Caulfield I would want other teams to think I wanted York.  It worked on you. 

OR ...  the really did want York and went to their next preference when he went off the board ... we will never know ... and even if they did want York all along, obviously now everyone involved would now say it was CC all the way ... with all the blame teams get for their legit draft mistakes few GMs/scouts would ever admit to a mistake that they were saved from making.

BTW - the talk I call was in the draft review/analysis ... I don't watch drafts from start to finish ... I pop in and out and only tune in when the Habs will be selecting.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

OR ...  the really did want York and went to their next preference when he went off the board ... we will never know ... and even if they did want York all along, obviously now everyone involved would now say it was CC all the way ... with all the blame teams get for their legit draft mistakes few GMs/scouts would ever admit to a mistake that they were saved from making.

BTW - the talk I call was in the draft review/analysis ... I don't watch drafts from start to finish ... I pop in and out and only tune in when the Habs will be selecting.

We will never know, that is true. I don't watch from start to finish either. The documentary about the Habs at the draft that year was very interesting. I attached the clip, watch about the 7-9 minute mark.  It sounded like they really wanted Caulfield at 16. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlUeCBxdtPk

53 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

We will never know, that is true. I don't watch from start to finish either. The documentary about the Habs at the draft that year was very interesting. I attached the clip, watch about the 7-9 minute mark.  It sounded like they really wanted Caulfield at 16. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlUeCBxdtPk

Yeah, it’s a credible assumption. We just won’t know 100%.

I once spoke at a conference with a guy who was good friends with Timmins. Like, lifelong friends.

He told two interesting anecdotes. One was that, when they go golfing together and he wanted Timmins to flub a putt, he did a mock sneeze in the form of “McDonagh!” Apparently any mention of McDonagh drives Timmins crazy.

The other thing he said was that, during the draft, Timmins texted him saying “I think we’re gonna get Caufield!!!” - as if this were a surprising and expected boon.

So that suggests they wanted Caufield and did not expect him to be available. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

My understanding is that the Habs wanted Caufield with the backup plan being Alex Newhook.  They were after a forward.