Ben traded to Florida

Habsfan89

Like the 2023 first, especially unprotected.

A decent return for Chiarot, about equal to what we got for Toffoli. I guess this goes to show that teams won't trade A-prospects for that level of player (2nd line F or 2nd pair D). Let's hope HuGort have a good eye for scouting with the Heineman and Smiley acquisitions.

Two 1st rounders in each of the next two drafts - time to assemble a championship core!

5 minutes ago, Neech said:

A decent return for Chiarot, about equal to what we got for Toffoli. I guess this goes to show that teams won't trade A-prospects for that level of player (2nd line F or 2nd pair D). Let's hope HuGort have a good eye for scouting with the Heineman and Smiley acquisitions.

Two 1st rounders in each of the next two drafts - time to assemble a championship core!

I think it's more than decent. I love an unprotected first for next year. Florida is a strong team but as we have seen, things can spiral downward.

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Smilanic was the Panthers 8th ranked prospect when we did their top 10 this summer. 

You can read his scouting report here. 

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021/10/01/2021-florida-panthers-prospects/

Ed Wheeler also ranked him eighth in his prospect review a few months ago in the Athletic. He was a bit more pessimistic about the potential, though, basically seeing his ceiling as a bottom-six forward.

Regardless of how well he turns out, I think HuGo did well on this trade.

4 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Now if we're not in a full rebuild we got 3 1st round picks we can trade if we wanted to to bring in an elite player via trade. 

image.png

It'll be a little while before I get a write-up on HW about this since I'm on the night shift on PHR tonight.  But here's my write-up on the deal for them including some notes on the draft picks the Habs are getting which technically have a condition attached to each of them.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2022/03/panthers-closing-in-on-acquiring-ben-chiarot.html

17 minutes ago, Neech said:

Whoa, tough crowd. I would say that this is an outstanding return and I’m really pleased he didn’t go to Toronto.

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I love reading the Leaf chat boards, all the Chiarot haters can't believe what Montreal got. The Leafs might just be seeing a lot more of Chiarot this year. I wonder who I would cheer for in a Leafs - Florida series. hmm...

Always Florida over leafs not even a question 😹😂

Seeing as to how I’m 10 min away from Quinnipiac and one of my managers is a cheerleader for the bobcats, I might have to convince him to come in for a pizza and a meet and greet. 

Great trade!!

33 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Smilanic was the Panthers 8th ranked prospect when we did their top 10 this summer. 

You can read his scouting report here. 

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021/10/01/2021-florida-panthers-prospects/

Thanks Commandant, I like this:

"He’s a pretty safe prospect though though, as even if the offence never explodes he should be able to play a third or fourth line role going forward. "

If he turns to become as good as "healthy Byron" or "peak Lehkonen" I will be really happy.

The Habs have done really well on this. Congratulations to Hug-Gort on two excellent returns for Toffoli and Chairot.

I wish all the best to Ben Chiarot in wearing the jersey with pride and playing to his full potential.

21 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... I wonder who I would cheer for in a Leafs - Florida series. hmm...

20 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Always Florida over leafs not even a question 😹😂

True ... but for a sweep or to take it to the limit and giving them hope, only to see it stuffed out in a Game 7 trouncing and shatter Leafs' fans hearts?