Ben traded to Florida

Habsfan89

4 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Maybe Smilanic coming to Montreal opens the door to Yaniv Perets signing with us 😍

Can never have enough "balls" in the "goaltender lottery".

I actually picked Smilanic to Montreal in 2020 in our Mock Draft...at 47th overall (he went 74th).  My rationale at the time:

The Habs have shown in recent years that you can never have enough centres so they’ll likely be adding to that group here.  With as many prospects as they’ve picked lately, however, some longer-term projects may be on the horizon which also helped dictate our other picks.  Smilanic profiles as a capable bottom-six forward down the road which Montreal has drafted a lot of in recent years with varying success.

Also, if you're counting, that's 13 picks in this July's draft.

Seems like a good deal.

I like that we are adding solid prospects, not just picks. That’s what we need.

Ben Chiarot: like many, I was skeptical about him at first, but he won me over as a minutes-eating old-school defender. He was good value for his contract. All the best to him as he guns for another Cup Final appearance.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Like the 2023 first, especially unprotected.

Let’s hope that Florida collapses. Bob the goalie please suck again. Not likely, but it would be nice if they reverted to their old couple of hood seasons followed by suckage.

My only comment for now is how much I really appreciated having Chiarot on the team. He worked hard, remained focused and was always a nuissance to play against. Hopefully someone like Romanov can help fill some of that void.

All the best. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I actually picked Smilanic to Montreal in 2020 in our Mock Draft...at 47th overall (he went 74th).  My rationale at the time:

The Habs have shown in recent years that you can never have enough centres so they’ll likely be adding to that group here.  With as many prospects as they’ve picked lately, however, some longer-term projects may be on the horizon which also helped dictate our other picks.  Smilanic profiles as a capable bottom-six forward down the road which Montreal has drafted a lot of in recent years with varying success.

Also, if you're counting, that's 13 picks in this July's draft.

I remember that post. I hoped we stopped drafting shoe in bottom 6 forwards at that point and preferred shooting for the moon with a high risk reward type. Now, we need to plug those bottom 6 holes. Good addition. 

We are back on track I believe. Aging Price get his cup here? God I hope so. He deserves it. Window closing though. Got to be realistic. 

Looking forward to watching Big Ben make life miserable for leafs forwards in playoffs again this year! I would imagine there'll be a move or two at most now before trade deadline, so far it's hard to argue with any of the moves made by Hughes. Now the hope is his great reputation as an agent will help in getting some college kids signed!

Florida cleared about $5M in cap space, and we're retaining half of Chiarot's salary so they still have space. I expect the Panthers will be doing another significant trade yet in the next few days.

58 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I couldn't turn down the weather. 

But with the fabulous Inter-web you can remain a resident of Habsworld.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... beer is cheaper ...

In price and quality

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Plus the taxes are lower, beer is cheaper, lots of advantages.  

Funny story, I was in college (Clarkson) the same time Geoff Molson went to St Lawrence University. There was a drug store near campus that sold Molson Ex DIRT cheap while he was in school there, so we would go and buy cheap Molson Ex. Once he was gone, no more Molson Ex there. I still remember going back and seeing Milwaukee's Best in the slot where Molson Ex used to be. Yuck. (yes, I know, Molson Ex isn't top shelf, either)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Absolutely on both counts. Were people expecting to get more than this? 

I had no clue what was being offered, so seems fine to me.:spamafote:

Now time will tell if Heineman or Smilanic turn out well and whether Hughes/Gorton have guessed right on either of these 2 kids.

Love just getting the 2023 1st pick, rest seems 'extra'?

18 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

No doubt about that. Chiarot was a great teammate and a great professional. I hope he wins a cup. 

Not sure about 'great' but seems solid pro, hard worker, low maintenance player anyways...not a whiny bi88h like #26.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, huzer said:

Anyone thing there will be anything else? I kind of have a "done" feeling, as far as deadline goes. I don't see them adding much more in terms of 2022 draft picks. 

Lehkonen seems like wouldnt be a surprise if dealt and 2023 or 24 pick(s) would work fine, i think?

So far, only Toffoli and Chiarot traded; both would have been on the older side by the time we get to 2024 or 2025. Will that be the plan? Hard to judge based on only two trades.

1 hour ago, huzer said:

Anyone thing there will be anything else? I kind of have a "done" feeling, as far as deadline goes. I don't see them adding much more in terms of 2022 draft picks. 

At the deadline perhaps ... but there are always pre-draft trades.