3 years ELC for Joshua Roy

JoeLassister

Montreal Canadiens Joshua Roy - TSN.ca

The agreement will see Roy earn $750,000 at the NHL level next season with a signing bonus of $92,500 and $10,500 if he plays at the Junior level. Roy will earn $775,000 in the NHL for the 2023-24 and 2024-25 seasons with respective signing bonuses of $92,500 and $85,000, and $80,000 per season at the AHL level.

32 minutes ago, DON said:

Is this an unexpected or early signing?

No and no

It was always likely to be evaluated after the season and with the year hes had, there is no doubt hes worth the contract 

By getting this done now, they can put his signing bonus over 4 years instead of 3 (assuming hes back in junior), saving a few thousand against the cap

What are realistic expectations/projection at pro or NHL level?

I know he has another year in junior and world junior experience also.

2nd line winger most likely i assume, with ceiling being average 1st line winger?

1 hour ago, DON said:

What are realistic expectations/projection at pro or NHL level?

I know he has another year in junior and world junior experience also.

2nd line winger most likely i assume, with ceiling being average 1st line winger?

Realistic is that he's a borderline NHLer - look at how many promising prospects flame out, even ones near the top of their junior league in scoring.  His ceiling is a top 6 winger, but the odds are against him reaching that.

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

This leaves a single open contract slot? Is that correct?

Did he sign a 21/22 contract or a 22/23 contract?  If the latter, I don't think he takes up a current slot.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

This leaves a single open contract slot? Is that correct?

No

He doesnt take a contract slot as an ELC slide doesn't count to the 50

His contract is also 2022-23 so that is another reason its not againstour current 50.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Neech said:

Realistic is that he's a borderline NHLer - look at how many promising prospects flame out, even ones near the top of their junior league in scoring.  His ceiling is a top 6 winger, but the odds are against him reaching that.

Most top scorers in junior are 4th year-20yr olds and those guys are simply dominating teenagers.

Even the other top scorer Roy is duking it out with for scoring race is an older 2019 draft pick.

I agree vast majority of prospects dont ever amount to much in NHL even if shine in juniors. But, as the #1 pick in the Q a couple years and now looking like a #1 pick should be as 18 yr old, i am not as pessimistic about him as you are, thats all.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Neech said:

Nobody is guaranteed, not even Shane Wright. Outside of the early first-round picks, the odds against becoming an NHL regular climb rapidly.

The more relevant question is to ask what a realistic ceiling might be, and then to remember that a ceiling is far from a sure thing.

5 hours ago, DON said:

Most top scorers in junior are 4th year-20yr olds and those guys are simply dominating teenagers.

Even the other top scorer Roy is duking it out with for scoring race is an older 2019 draft pick.

I agree vast majority of prospects dont ever amount to much in NHL even if shine in juniors. But, as the #1 pick in the Q a couple years and now looking like a #1 pick should be as 18 yr old, i am not as pessimistic about him as you are, thats all.

I'm not pessimistic, just realistic. Seen enough prospects with top 6 upside amount to nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Neech said:

I'm not pessimistic, just realistic. Seen enough prospects with top 6 upside amount to nothing. 

No question it's still a long road to become a regular in the NHL but you have to be pleased with his progress considering he was a 5th round pick. 

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

No question it's still a long road to become a regular in the NHL but you have to be pleased with his progress considering he was a 5th round pick. 

Of course, here was my first post in the thread:

11 hours ago, Neech said:

Maybe we've struck gold in the 5th round for the first time since Gally.

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

This is a top 15 D+1 season for a QMJHL player. ... not this year, but top 15 in the draft era

How much do you think he’ll benefit from another year in junior? I wouldn’t say he’s ready for the NHL but it feels like a bigger challenge could benefit him 

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Even for a 1st round pick he is doing fine. Better than say...a Scherbak, Juulsen, McCarron, Poehling, Tinordi, Beaulieu...:(

57 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

How much do you think he’ll benefit from another year in junior? I wouldn’t say he’s ready for the NHL but it feels like a bigger challenge could benefit him 

But, too young for AHL, if shines in pre-season (where he stood out last year) maybe will get a game or 8, but I dont expect him to turn pro. Absolutely no reason to fast track him though. Should be interesting training camp. Guhle, Harris, Barron, Xhekaj-Norlinder-Brook are nice group, the last 3 I dont have big expectations for, but hope they can surprise. 

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

I dont think his skating is NHL ready.  Unless he takes a big jump this summer, you are kinda stuck putting him back in junior.  Id have him focused on skating while there and also hope he can make the WJ team.

One thing I had forgotten about Roy is that he was born just a few weeks from being draft eligible in this upcoming draft, not last year.

36 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

One thing I had forgotten about Roy is that he was born just a few weeks from being draft eligible in this upcoming draft, not last year.

Even more reason for him to play another year in Junior.

• Like 1