GAME#72 Habs vs Leafs Sat. 7:00pm April 9 2022

DON

35 minutes ago, DON said:

... Hope Allen just has a strain ...

This time at least he was smart enough to come out right away ... fingers crossed

11 hours ago, GHT120 said:

This time at least he was smart enough to come out right away ... fingers crossed

Worse yet, Allen appeared to sprain his groin on the play and headed for the dressing room immediately after. That handed the baton to Samuel Montembeault, without a warm-up, of course.

Doesnt he get some shots to warm up if replacing due to injury? Or did i miss that?

37 minutes ago, DON said:

... Doesnt he get some shots to warm up if replacing due to injury? Or did i miss that?

Believe they eliminated that because some enterprising coach used it as a virtual timeout.

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Believe they eliminated that because some enterprising coach used it as a virtual timeout.

Also possibly as a cheap way of getting more goals…but yeah, wasn’t it Torts who used to flip flop goalies at will?

It seems grossly unfair to the incoming goalie. 

3 hours ago, DON said:

Worse yet, Allen appeared to sprain his groin on the play and headed for the dressing room immediately after. That handed the baton to Samuel Montembeault, without a warm-up, of course.

Doesnt he get some shots to warm up if replacing due to injury? Or did i miss that?

I think it was taken out because of Keenan or some other Captain Hook coach. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think it was taken out because of Keenan or some other Captain Hook coach. 

But, i thought different if goalie injured and out for game, then must get warm up, same for a pitcher in MLB.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

But, i thought different if goalie injured and out for game, then must get warm up, same for a pitcher in MLB.

But at the time of the goalie swap the refs can have no idea if the goalie is truly injured and/or seriously enough that he won't return to the game ... Keenan and some others ruined it for the legitimate injury replacements.

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But at the time of the goalie swap the refs can have no idea if the goalie is truly injured and/or seriously enough that he won't return to the game ... Keenan and some others ruined it for the legitimate injury replacements.

Oh well, is good with union and owners and player safety, so what do i care i guess.

23 hours ago, DON said:

A sign of life.:clap:

Some tough listening to those sportsnet guys.

Remind me again why Gary Galley has a job? He is not only a Habs hater, he bring zero insight to the game. This may have been discussed before but is there any way to sync the tsn 690 feed with the video. Galley would sound a lot better on mute. 

Just now, PMAC said:

Remind me again why Gary Galley has a job? He is not only a Habs hater, he bring zero insight to the game. This may have been discussed before but is there any way to sync the tsn 690 feed with the video. Galley would sound a lot better on mute. 

You have to do it manually ... figure out which one is ahead ... pause it, and restart it when the other catches up ... takes practice ... I just watch on RDS/TVA ... lucky that I can understand them.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DON said:

Apart from the lack of warmup (already thoroughly dissected by others), I think in this instance St Louis got outcoached -- the lack if NHL experience exposed Montembeault.

No goalie warmup, and last change for the home team. I think St Louis did a normal linke change, and put the fourth line on the ice. Keefe saw that, and with the goalie change having delayed the faceoff enough, put the Matthews line back on the ice. Top scoring line in the league against our fourth line and a stone-cold goalie. The defensive move would have been to put the checking line (Armia, Dvorak and Gallagher) on the ice to prevent an immediate attack, regardless of who the Leafs sent against them.

A minor nit, really: St Louis has done spectacularly well when you consider that he has not had any mid/high-level coaching experience, but here is where the lack of NHL bench experience shows.

25 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Apart from the lack of warmup (already thoroughly dissected by others), I think in this instance St Louis got outcoached -- the lack if NHL experience exposed Montembeault.

No goalie warmup, and last change for the home team. I think St Louis did a normal linke change, and put the fourth line on the ice. Keefe saw that, and with the goalie change having delayed the faceoff enough, put the Matthews line back on the ice. Top scoring line in the league against our fourth line and a stone-cold goalie. The defensive move would have been to put the checking line (Armia, Dvorak and Gallagher) on the ice to prevent an immediate attack, regardless of who the Leafs sent against them.

A minor nit, really: St Louis has done spectacularly well when you consider that he has not had any mid/high-level coaching experience, but here is where the lack of NHL bench experience shows.

Good analysis. That’s the kind of thing a colour commentator is supposed to be paid to observe and share with the viewing public.

1 hour ago, PMAC said:

Honestly, I don’t think he any longer a Habs hater…he may have begun that way, but years of covering the team have shifted that IMHO. Auston Matthews may be a misogynistic punk with a pathetic teenage moustache, but he is a legitimate beast of a player having a stunning, historic season even by league standards (never mind the Leafs, who have had surprisingly few genuine superstars in their history). Any broadcast except a manifestly “homer” Habs broadcast would have showered Matthews with all that attention - especially when he then went out and had a ridiculously dominant first period.

All that being said, does Galley bring anything to the table? No. He’s one of those broadcasters who just says what everybody can already see, and offers personal opinions (“I really like Romanov”) but who in no way, shape, or form helps us to better understand what is going on on the ice - which is the real defining feature of ANALYSIS as opposed to just blathering like your beer-chugging uncle.

Galley and Craig Simpson are just the worst. Makes me miss the buffoonery of Pierre Maguire, who was at least entertaining and not a bore or a wet blanket like those two.

I try to watch on RDS, but the TVA broadcast is markedly worse. Felix Seguin has such weird mannerisms, and then they have Michel Bergeron spew nonsense in the intermission in a Don Cherry-like fashion.

12 hours ago, Neech said:

Galley and Craig Simpson are just the worst. Makes me miss the buffoonery of Pierre Maguire, who was at least entertaining and not a bore or a wet blanket like those two.

I try to watch on RDS, but the TVA broadcast is markedly worse. Felix Seguin has such weird mannerisms, and then they have Michel Bergeron spew nonsense in the intermission in a Don Cherry-like fashion.

I skip intermissions, regardless what broadcast I am watching.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Really? I think Sportsnet intermissions have actually gotten pretty good - light years ahead of the old days of ignorant blatherskites hogging the floor. Bieksa is excellent, and the second intermissions gives us Elliot Friedman. It's informed and often-informative hockey talk, by and large, even if we are still saddled with Ron Maclean.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Really? I think Sportsnet intermissions have actually gotten pretty good - light years ahead of the old days of ignorant blatherskites hogging the floor. Bieksa is excellent, and the second intermissions gives us Elliot Friedman. It's informed and often-informative hockey talk, by and large, even if we are still saddled with Ron Maclean.

I like Bieksa but I find most of the intermission talk to be a bore.  HNIC is terrified of saying anything remotely critical now on their panels and everyone being positive all the time gets old fast.

Friedman is good but the segment seems to be geared towards propping Marek up as an insider now which he simply isn't.  Marek's getting pretty annoying with his "I can confirm" line when it's stuff that was reported days earlier by actual insiders and often already made official.  

• Like 1

Could it be better? Absolutely. But you have to remember how it compares to what we used to get. Don Cherry. Nick Kypreos. Glen Healy. I mean, come on - guys like that were an insult to the intelligence of the viewer. They went with the "Big Personality preferably with Toronto Connections" model at the expense of knowledge or insight.  Nowadays we get reasonable people who have a clue. I'll take that as a big step forward.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

100%, especially since i PVR most of games, i fast forward from period to period trying to catch up somewhat.

Not sure are any TSN guys colour/PBP i find annoying?

Wish had Gord Miller/Ferraro more (or any?).

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Could it be better? Absolutely. But you have to remember how it compares to what we used to get. Don Cherry. Nick Kypreos. Glen Healy. I mean, come on - guys like that were an insult to the intelligence of the viewer. They went with the "Big Personality preferably with Toronto Connections" model at the expense of knowledge or insight.  Nowadays we get reasonable people who have a clue. I'll take that as a big step forward.

Yeah. It’s much better now. I’d prefer to have Friedman and LeBrun (who works for the competition. or even last year when they had the other guy who went to TSN (drawing a blank).  Honestly though, I’d be much happier if TSN had the rights and Friedman was with them. Never like MacLean, and I think Sportsnet canes too early in bringing him back after his first year.

2 hours ago, DON said:

100%, especially since i PVR most of games, i fast forward from period to period trying to catch up somewhat.

Not sure are any TSN guys colour/PBP i find annoying?

Wish had Gord Miller/Ferraro more (or any?).

I used to watch the PVR the next day in the morning, syncing to the TSN 690 radio playback.

For the playoff games, it was great... for this year's horrible season, it is torture

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah. It’s much better now. I’d prefer to have Friedman and LeBrun (who works for the competition. or even last year when they had the other guy who went to TSN (drawing a blank).  Honestly though, I’d be much happier if TSN had the rights and Friedman was with them. Never like MacLean, and I think Sportsnet canes too early in bringing him back after his first year.

MacLean represents an outdated, buddy-buddy, small-town-Canada model of hockey "journalism," best summarized by his incessant habit of referring to players by their first names. It's tired and trite. He is too young to throw into the trash like Cherry, but they should have him out doing "human interest stories" relating to the game, where he can pretend to his heart's delight that Canada is a nation of small rural communities and aw-shucks Good Canadian Kids, instead of hosting their entire studio broadcast.

Two of my favourites are Ferraro and Mike Johnson. Ferraro I LOVE on radio; his perceptiveness and slightly spiky personality really come through. But he's better than 95% of them on TV too. Mike Johnson is very insightful but sadly seems to lose out on whatever internal political struggles decide who gets air time.

Friedman is tops, LeBrun also good.

I agree that it's a shame Spotsnet has outbid TSN all the way down the line. 

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

MacLean represents an outdated, buddy-buddy, small-town-Canada model of hockey "journalism," best summarized by his incessant habit of referring to players by their first names. It's tired and trite. He is too young to throw into the trash like Cherry, but they should have him out doing "human interest stories" relating to the game, where he can pretend to his heart's delight that Canada is a nation of small rural communities and aw-shucks Good Canadian Kids, instead of hosting their entire studio broadcast.

That's what he does for Hometown Hockey, travelling to small communities to tell the stories of the fine folks who have been driving the zamboni at the local arena for the last 50 years, some random player who played in 10 games in the WHL in the 1980s, and meeting with a local farmer for some reason that has nothing to do with hockey but fits the 'hokey' requirement that everything associated with Hometown Hockey is required to have.

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's what he does for Hometown Hockey, travelling to small communities to tell the stories of the fine folks who have been driving the zamboni at the local arena for the last 50 years, some random player who played in 10 games in the WHL in the 1980s, and meeting with a local farmer for some reason that has nothing to do with hockey but fits the 'hokey' requirement that everything associated with Hometown Hockey is required to have.

I think Hometown Hockey is a pretty nice segment. Some of these are great stories, so easy to be cynical. 

56 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think Hometown Hockey is a pretty nice segment. Some of these are great stories, so easy to be cynical. 

I find it's almost becoming a caricature of itself.  There are only so many stories worth telling (they've been told over the years) and many of the ones I've heard with it on in the background lately have no bearing being on national TV but is rather something more suited for the local cable news.